Knytt

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Knytt

Post by Dr. Dos »

I just found heard of this awesome game that's <s>a lot like</s> by the makers of <s>Cave Story</s> <s>Seiklus</s> Within a Deep Forest only without the <s>plot</s> <s>endless item gathering</s> notorious Dr. Cliche.

You're a <s>ball</s> thing that's <s>a failed result of a super bomb</s> been abducted by an alien but the UFO crashes and you and the alien survive and you have to <s>go around and get more balls to save the day</s> find a way home.

<s>http://withinadeepforest.ni2.se/</s> http://knytt.ni2.se/

I can't wait to see what the next of these awesome game threads is like 10 years from now. I'm sure it's annoying to read my threads already!

<s>In fact I've yet to play the game, but it's by WADF people so I'm sure it's awesome</s>

Oh god it's so empty and boring. BE CAREFUL.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

hehe knightt
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

he credits Seiklus for inspiration, that's cool.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

we know the guy who made Seiklus. we're cool.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

DAMN STRAIGHT
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

OVERWHELMING BUMPAGE

The sequel, Knytt Stories, is out. So far I am liking it; there are a couple of new (for Knytt) abilities like double jumping, and there's actually a decent number of enemies hanging around this time to keep it from being just exploration. There's a level editor too, so hoorj for that I guess! I don't get why the expansion pack levels aren't included in the main download, and 'The Machine' feels somewhat smaller than the original Knytt did, but all in all the game's an improvement over the last one I think.

http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories
phunk
captain champion

Post by phunk »

it's definitely an improvement over the first, but knytt is still just boring as hell

it's definitely pretty, but it's boring
we're not bad people, we're not dirty, we're not mean, we love everybody, but we do as we please
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

The first one was kind of refreshing but it's not doing it for me this time. If there was a narrative/some dialogue with NPCs, or a way to map the world, or the compass from the first one that shows the general direction of the closest item, I'd like it a lot more. (I would have hated the first one if it didn't point out the closest nearby item.)

Try sifting through the tilesets folder, there's a ton of them.

edit: I was wrong, there's a little bit of dialogue. I still think ditching that compass was a big mistake, though.
Last edited by gingermuffins on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I agree knytt is cool, but certainly no deep forest 2 which I'd rather see.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

Knytt is pretty cool, as is Knytt Stories. All of the worlds feel like new games, despite using the same program.

What other good "metroidvania"(as the internet likes to call them these days) games do you guys like? I recently tried Eternal Daughters but didn't like it too much because of the controls, and that's even using a PS2 controller.
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I gave up on that too because the main attack was unresponsive (and it was hard, but most of the frustration stemmed from that). I couldn't even beat it with a hex edited save file! Having to tap the button at exact intervals is not cool at all, and it's a shame because the game is a lot of fun otherwise. He should release an update someday with better controls!!!!! and make continuing after death faster

There's Lyle in Cube Sector, that's a bit annoying at first but it opens up and becomes a lot of fun once you get your bearings.

Cv Stry I want to play this with a gamepad
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

i didn't like eternal daughter, because you have a really short attack and the regular enemies take about the same number of hits to die as you do, which is not good game design.

anyway here's a list, but ufouria isn't on it and it really should be.

edit: my favorite of the lesser-known games on that list are battle of olympus, monster world 4, shantae, tomba!, and GUN HAZARD WHICH I WILL FORCE DOS TO PLAY, DO YOU HEAR ME YOU STUPID FAGGOT YOU'RE PLAYING THIS GAME WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT AND YOU'LL FUCKING LIKE IT
r
Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant about controls. That, and the character moves too slow, and jumping up onto the side of things is kinda weird.

I used to own Battle of Olympus, and still own Tomba!. That's one of my favorite games. I played a little bit of the second one, but not much. I may have to re-download it soon.

I recommend Clash at Demonhead from that list if nobody's ever played that, another favorite game of mine and seems to be unknown to most people.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

clash at demonhead rules

also soldexus is pretty cool, not awesome, but nice.
http://www.gamemakergames.com/?a=view&id=4120

and a game where you're a little blob and there are multiple characters and you save faries for max health, but I can't think of the name. It's a GM game someone here might know.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
phunk
captain champion

Post by phunk »

commodore: that's albero and the great blue emblem http://gamemakergames.com/?a=view&id=3311

there's this one dude named tuuka virtanen who pretty much just makes exploration games in the same vein as seiklus. apparently, exploration is a legitimate genre now. his games are actually pretty good

old one is painajainen: http://gamemakergames.com/?a=view&id=4850

his new one is kaipuu. kind of intense, but lacking in detail: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/11956
we're not bad people, we're not dirty, we're not mean, we love everybody, but we do as we please