ZZT on Dreamcast

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

What can be said now?

ZZT on Dreamcast

Post by 571 »

Hey-
I am brand new to this board... I have been... um... ZZTing on and off since '94 or '95. Every now and then I get the urge to just make a few levels... maybe I'll upload a few of my old games if I can find them...

Anyway, has anyone here tried the ZZT emulator for Sega Dremcast called DreamZZT? I just purchased a Dreamcast ($20 from Gamestop... get them before they're history), and have been making NES, Gameboy, and Sega Master System game packs. I have seen here and there that an emulator for ZZT exists, and I was wondering if anyone here has used it and if it is actually any good... it would never beat the 'ol keyboard, but playing all the ZZT classics with a paddle on a big screen TV has its own certain appeal (as well as hearing all the great sounds in 5.1 ;-) )

Can't wait to go through all the games on the site here!
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

I've heard of it. I don't have a Dreamcast, though, so I don't really care.
What can be said now?

Post by 536 »

The project was attempted, but like all attempted ZZT remakes, it quickly died. :(

It's hard to port a program that you don't have the source code to.
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

How do you download (or whatever) things from computer on Dreamcast?
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

You have to get a special flash card called DreamFlash. There are two types and you buy one according to what edition Dreamcast you have. If you don't know which one you have (and you should), you have to open up the Dreamcast and look at the System Information sticker. If you have an edition two it will say so, if not, it will not. Most stores don't sell DreamFlashes because it doesn't have much use unless you want to play zzt games or something. You will probably have to order it online, but be careful because some people forget which type they have (Sega doesn't label the DreamFlash itself, even with the impending class action). Once you have your DreamFlash you have to use a program called DreamTransfer, which you can download and crack. The program explains itself. With the data on the DreamFlash you plug it into the Dreamcast and a screen should come up that will guide you through the rest of the process.

Also, this is to Count Slugwhatsit -- You can afford a big screen tv but you're a cheapass about your dreamcast? WEAK.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
What can be said now?

Post by 571 »

24- You don't need a DreamFlash or whatever malarkey you jabbered on about to play games on a Dreamcast. In order to emulate Consoles, you just need to play with some simple source code which is readily available to make make the CD selfboot. In order to play burned dreamcast games, all you need to do is download the program for and burn a Boot disc, also readily available online.
superbowl shuffle

You've been here for one day and already you've made an enemy.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
What can be said now?

Post by 547 »

Greetings, I'm the author of DreamZZT.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions here:

1. DreamZZT is not dead. I had to put it aside for a year or so, but it's been actively worked on again since November.

2. DreamZZT is not just for the Sega Dreamcast, although that was the original target. The latest releases are available for the Dreamcast, Linux, Windows, and MS-DOS.

3. The Dreamcast does not need a modchip or a boot disc to play 3rd party games. Sega updated the BIOS during the last month or so of Dreamcast production to close this "loophole", however very few of these units were shipped out and in existance. The only known model that will not boot off a CD-R or CD-ROM is a Japanese model that was bundled with a game (Sakura Wars maybe? I don't remember). All other Dreamcasts will successfully boot a properly burned disc.

I hope to be more involved with the Z2 community in the future, however I was waiting until the next release of DreamZZT to introduce myself.

-Sam
superbowl shuffle

DONT REVIVE DEAD TOPICS NEWBIE
What can be said now?

Post by 453 »

and why not?
What can be said now?

Post by 547 »

* Only post in each forum if you have something relevant to say; talking about music in a videogame forum is VERY STUPID unless you're talking about videogame music. <b>If there's a thread already devoted to a topic, use that instead of posting a new thread- doing so usually means a locking and a brusque redirection by a moderator.</b> However, if there is a thread devoted to said topic that's long dead, please don't resurrect it, just post a new one. <b>Reviving slightly old topics for relevant discussion is allowed. </b>

Sorry for actually reading the rules? *shrug* If you're not interested in DreamZZT then don't read the thread. Obviously someone was, so I'm providing relevant information to them.

-Sam
Mooseka
;-*

Post by Mooseka »

HELLO.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i'm with the dreamcast guy on this one

oof be quiet
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
superbowl shuffle

I wasn't serious, silly. 8(