Rouge-like

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Is ZZT a descendant of Rogue?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:03 am

Yes, of course. Shame on you for asking such a stupid question.
32%
No way. ZZT is in and of itself. It owes no lineage to Rogue.
68%

Total votes: 19

What can be said now?

Rouge-like

Post by 378 »

You know, I've never really considered the similarites between ZZT and Roguelike games. (such as ADOM or NetHack) I mean, when you think about it, through ZZT even Megazeux is a great-great-great grandchild (or somesuch) of Rogue.

The major differences are in, of course, the color capabilities of ZZT and the vast depth that Roguelike games tend to get into. That, and the fact that ZZT gives you a gun. :)

Which is something that always sort of made me go "hmm..." On one hand, you have torches. Very medevil. But on the other hand, you have ammo and bullets. Sure, ZZT is great for making a game that takes place in just about any time period, but it sure is weird. :)

So, what do you guys think. Is ZZT it's own little niche in Ascii games, or a descendant of the mighty Rogue?
What can be said now?

Post by 48 »

AHAHAHAHAHAH ROUGE.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

Rogue is the only one of those games I ever really bothered with because I'm totally lazy and don't care to learn what every key on the keyboard does and whether having caps lock on affects the command.

Rogue is great though.

Funk wears rouge =(
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
What can be said now?

Post by 68 »

I don't think it was. I think that the idiot who programmed it didn't know anything, and he was just making a game. Later on, he snapped, and killed everyone in his family, buried their bones in his neighbors backyard, who had just gone on vacation, and began making sex games from the privacy of his own home.
What can be said now?

Post by 99 »

I really hope the topic is a joke, I really do.

On the actual topic, since they both use the ASCII character set for graphics, they obviously bear a resemblance to in that respect. I really can't see ZZT evolving directly from Rogue, though.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I'd say not. rogue is a decendent of adventure, and zzt is a decendent of a data entry program.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
phunk
captain champion

Post by phunk »

I would say that ZZT is not a Rogue clone, but I do agree that it was at least influenced in some way, shape, or form by Rogue and Rogue's many clones and wannabes.

ZZT and Rogue are also of very different genre... ZZT is more of an 'adventure.' Gems, health, score, etc. The ZZT engine was originally intended for exploration-style games, while Rogue had more RPG qualities, with Weapons, Armor, and the all too common Exp/Level system.

But still, my vote must be 'No.'
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

I think ZZT is kind of based on Kroz, which was in turn based on Rogue.
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
What can be said now?

Post by 104 »

I think zzt is a game, and rogue is a game genre. But I'm just going by my gut.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Supa Dupa ZZT

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

Zenith Nadir wrote:I think ZZT is kind of based on Kroz, which was in turn based on Rogue.
And then Super ZZT was based on both ZZT and Thor!
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

When did Flaming O become an admin? I just noticed that now.
Reason and logic had led people into the horrors of war; the only route to salvation was to reject logic and embrace anarchy and the irrational.
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

He's my replacement.
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

Ah. <--USELESS ONE WORD POST OH NO
Reason and logic had led people into the horrors of war; the only route to salvation was to reject logic and embrace anarchy and the irrational.
What can be said now?

Post by 235 »

I would vote, but I would never say "Yes, of course. Shame on you for asking such a stupid question. " or "No way. ZZT is in and of itself. It owes no lineage to Rogue." so it looks like you lose.
What can be said now?

Post by 46 »

In the end all games come from Rogue. Except for those stupid text adventures. Booo.

That reminds me that it's time for a new roguelike thread in that forum what's about games

edit never mind