How did you become involved in ZZT?

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Descartes is hot
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

Post by Scribbit »

I know a smart person joke!

Two hydrogen atoms are walking, and one of them trips and he says "oh no! I think I lost my valence electron!"
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive!"

*ba-dum-tish*
I'm nupanick.
Archangel
Don Juan

Post by Archangel »

And I think I loss my left ball reading that...
:)
MasterRaze
UHM HMMM

Post by MasterRaze »

I'm not sure if we're still on topic or not, but I found ZZT on dosgames sometime in 2000 I think it was!!!
[size=84:2xnkfrww]"I have a joke....there is a chair and the chair a walk...with a shoes. LALALALALA...the chair is a walking!"

[i:2xnkfrww]"What a funny image."[/i:2xnkfrww]

"Yes. I really should tell this joke?"

[i:2xnkfrww]"Probably not."[/i:2xnkfrww][/size:2xnkfrww]
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

I also found ZZT on DOSGames, but in 2005.
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

I went through SOoo many games on Dosgames.com before I decided I wanted a game with a level editor. I went through 3 or 4 and failed at all of them before deciding that ZZT had been the most fun to work with. I forgot about it for months, though.

Wait, I think Megazeux was in that archive, too! I wonder if things would be much different today if I had found that one first...

Nah, I didn't know real programming at the time. I would have gotten mighty bored since I didn't feel like joining forums at that time, either.
I'm nupanick.
kkriegg
newcomer

Post by kkriegg »

Looks like I'm one of the older oldbies. I discovered zzt from a friend of mine back in 94-95. I used to go over to his house and try and break into Leisuresuit Larry with him. Eventually we got bored and he showed me zzt. I was pretty fascinated by it. We tried to make a game together but we both sucked pretty hard.

:freud:

Eventually it spread around my clique and we'd make games that tried to insult eachother. A few years later I discovered the AOL file libraries, and the true power of zzt was shown to me in all its glory. STK, Code Red, eta eta.

I teamed up with another friend of mine and we decided to make a game company entitled "Super Gerbil Productions." It lasted about 5 minutes and I made about 50 unfinished games. I also made friends with DarkMage at this time.

A little later, RingWorm invited me to join LameGame, and from there I got sort of introduced to the community. However, most of the community was (rightfully, and hillariously) enraged by RingWorm's antics, so it was a short introduction. I also found I lacked the patience to sit around on IRC for hours and hours (I'm a very important man, you see). Still, it inspired me to make another 50 or so unfinished games/title screens.

Eventually, Nadir came over to my house and threatened to sodomize me if I didn't release at least one game. Since his threat was unsuccessful, he then threatened to NOT sodomize me. I quickly released Scooter.

I think I checked back around '04, made a few comments on a message board and made another 50 unfinished games before lapsing into my latent Transporter Psychosis.

I checked back about a year ago, made no games (unfinished or otherwise). Then I came back here. Will I make a game before I die? Tune in next decade to find out!
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

You Can Do It! I Believe In You! :keen:
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

kkriegg you should see what you can contribute to the wiki: http://zzt.org/zu/wiki/Main_Page
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Our wiki is so much better than DMZX's wiki. We have at least one page that isn't marked "stub."
I'm nupanick.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

People need to make edits there, seriously. The edit log is empty.
Ceri JC
MMMM baby

Post by Ceri JC »

93-94, I would have been about 12, a mate in school got hold of ZZT from some cover disk of a magazine that his dad bought. We had a bit of a play with it, falling prey to the usual ZZT syndromes.

The following year, I got my own PC and a copy of ZZT. I made a few games that I started, but nothing really "complete" or technically more impressive than the original bundled games. I remember me and my friend were really into it at this time; I used to keep a notebook that looked identical to my maths book which I used to secretly use to sketch boards/game ideas out in whilst I was in maths class.

Somewhere along the line, we fell out of the habit of using it, but when we got back into it a couple of years later, my mate had internet access and had found other peoples' games online as well as some sort of STK. I can recall being able to copy boards from game to game, so perhaps we had some other editor too.

When we were about 17 we started programming in Qbasic for school projects and couldn't resist using the char#2 character and joking about ZZT. This culminated in my mate making some games in Qbasic, one of which was a primitive 2 player "tag" game called ZZP. As basic as it was, it proved quite popular and people used to regularly queue up to play it on the sixth form common room computer. At around the same time, I got fed up with some of the limitations of "Klik N Play" when dealing with larger/more complex games, so reverted to ZZT to make a truly cringe-inducing teenager's take on an RPG/puzzle game for my then girlfriend.

Around 2001-2002, I went to university and had my first internet access and came across a ZZT forum. I lurked a bit and probably DLed some games, but never posted.

Through good luck and my mate's good backup practices, I still have copies of the one game I finished, as well as our first faltering experiments with ZZT and the "ZZP" game my friend made (having recently gotten interested in ZZT again, I was playing them last night). I've lost all the other fragments of games I made, but compared to most people I think I've gotten off lightly. Once I've finished a game I'll mail it to my mate for some laughs...