The Freeware Thread

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

im mowing my vearge
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

http://cactusquid.proboards99.com/index ... &thread=22 - A platform game in commodore style. You have ninja skills, grenades and a shotgun.

http://lassie.gmacwill.com/lower.php?se ... &game=wmyt - An amateur adventure game with impressive graphics (reminiscent of Monkey Island 3). The story is based on this novel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Sandmann
My waste is my weapon.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

www.hurrican-game.de

Turrrican fan game.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
tapeworm
Help computer.

Post by tapeworm »

Eversion

a review of Eversion

(This was another entry in the same contest as Verge.)
Ceri JC
MMMM baby

Post by Ceri JC »

Zenith Nadir wrote: also i finally played spelunky, rules
I've been playing this over the weekend. Brilliant game; taking two quite standard ideas (roguelikes and platformers) and combining the best bits of both = something surprisingly original.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

heeeey, it's this thread

relevant: i played Iji for the first time the other day, it actually made me mad irl because aliens had casually destroyed the earth as collateral damage in their bullshit war, so i fucking killed everything and went out in a blaze of rage and despair

i got very nihilistic towards the end of that game. it was fantastic, not many games have me actually glaring at the scream and muttering "FUCK you, fuck everything, DIE"

that shit was personal. too bad the graphics are a bit crappy (people comparing them to "out of this world" should be shot) but the rest of the game is good enough to overlook that

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I like the graphics for the bike/speeder thing. I think the sound design is pretty good. The guns sound good, and I like all the things the aliens shout at you. The backgrounds were a little lacklustre, all the levels look nearly identical.

Good challenge though, and there are a lot of enemies at a lot of big, fun fights.

Also from a guy who did a faithful remake of the 8-bit computer game Saboteur, there's a Dizzy GCS.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Ceri JC
MMMM baby

Post by Ceri JC »

Commodore wrote: Also from a guy who did a faithful remake of the 8-bit computer game Saboteur, there's a Dizzy GCS.
Excellent, I'll check the Saboteur remake out. I loved that game. Possibly the biggest sprites I saw on the spectrum.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

random comment: god damn, the ice caves in spelunky love to screw me over at the last minute!!!!!!!!!!! this game *shakes fist*

Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

the ice caves are so much easier than the Fucking Jungle.
r
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

basically i hate how the levels have no bottom and it is not difficult to screw myself over by accidentally landing on an isolated platform far from the exit! wah

jungle wasn't too bad, much better in the new version since now you can climb trees much more easily. worst thing about it was those spike traps, i had a lot of embarrassing deaths thanks to those jerks

Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

You shut up. You didn't have to play an earlier version where you were pretty much fucked if you didn't have a jetpack or climbing gloves when you got to the ice caves. Things have gotten much easier since then.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

well i've never even seen a jetpack in that game, so it's a moot point

i got a teleporter one time. slammed myself into a wall and died

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I just downloaded the newest version since you all were talking about it. The random cave design seems a lot better and I like the option of sacrificing the damsel on the alter.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

http://askiisoft.com/

It's a platform game drawn in gray/brown gameboy shades with appropriate chiptune music and sound-effects.

A Deity challenges mortals to climb a tower. This tower consists of rooms with various obstacles. You have to get to the exit in every room. As you progress into the tower, the Deity lays down the law - for example, it forbids you to touch yellow blocks. You die a lot, but you can save and you always start again in the room that killed you. It gets pretty difficult at times.

http://www.pandaland.nu/download.php

Pandaland! A colourful platform game in the spirit of nintendo. It's very cheerful, the graphics, the sound-effects and music - it just makes me feel good. It's pretty easy. I haven't played it all the way through, so it might get more difficult further into the game.

The site is in Swedish (I think), but you don't need any knowledge of Swedish to play the game.
My waste is my weapon.