ZZT in DOSBox under Linux

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

ZZT in DOSBox under Linux

Post by Quantum P. »

Has anybody tried running ZZT in DOSBox under Linux? I've played ZZT in DOSBox under Mac OS X, but it is a bit slow. I'm wondering if there is a noticeable performance difference when running it on an Intel processor.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I've installed dosbox on a friend's mac and tried zzt and I did find it a little slow, but then again, there wasn't a dos game I did try that wasn't slow. Another mate is getting linux up and running, perhaps I will have this oppertunity.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

there's a speed cycle for a reason. I'm sure it'll work on any 733 mhz machine.. might stall once in a while for a sec, but heck, if i can get jill of the jungle running perfectly in DosXBox, which is really just a cheep 733 mhz computer, then I can probably run ZZT as well. but i figured what's the point since you'd have to assign buttons to the movement and it'd be kinda shady.. Well, joystick would work fine.. or mouse...

But yeah, still. But hell, if Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness can run near perfectly, then I see no problem with ZZT runnin, you gotta increase the cpu cycle.. I think it defaults at 3000 and depending on your computer it'll increase to like 6k or 9k or even more without any problemmos. I'm tellin you, Quest for Glory IV Shadows of Darkness runs perfectly. I tried getting uhh, 3 Sister Story working, but I think my version got corrupted by the great crash of my hard drive Tuts Tomb in 2004, but who knows..
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

#mzx explained it once.

It's always going to be slow.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

I got ZZT running in DOSBox running on my Linux machine, but it was about as slow as it is on my Mac. In theory, with some tinkering I could get it running faster; however, it's already set up as a multi-boot system, and I'll probably just create a Dos partition and boot that whenever I want to play ZZT.
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

umm, yeah, well, it works good enough at least.. press ctrl+F12 to increase the cpu cycles and it'll be fast.. the sound might be a little off, but you can't win em all..

Also, Dosbox in linux? are you on drugs? just get dosemu.. that wil run with no problems whatsoever.. even if you don't configure the damn thing, at least zzt will run perfectly..

-=-=-=-=-=-
-viovis
ILikeelk
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Thanks for the recommendation! Dosemu works great, but the font is messed up. Any ideas on how to fix it?
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

i don't think you can change fonts in dosemu.. all i know that it runs very smoothly. So if you're stuck with a funny-man smiley then you're stuck with it.. as far as i know though, all the walls blend together and everything though, so if that's the problem then i dunno.. all i do know is that i used dosemu back 7 years ago so i wouldn't know much now.
Flimsy
wacky morning DJ

Post by Flimsy »

when i tried it, my boards got all corrupted

like this

and this

and this

It seems unlikely that this deeply unsatisfactory situation will be resolved by a new attempt to answer the old question; instead, as has been suggested by some of the most thoughtful students, we should expect to find that some part of the conceptual landscape in which this problematic entity resides must be reconstructed before it will come into focus.
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

Have you tried <A HREF="http://zzt.org/zgames/z/z ... >ZZFont</A>?

Also Flimsy those screenshots are awesome

I especially like the stars
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

How do you do char editing again? I need someone to walk me through and hold my hand.
http://yahoo.com/
*shuggles*

Post by http://yahoo.com/ »

fuxing awesome
this is a deep and meaningful quote