Black Metal

Michael Gaddass wants to keep up with you on Twitter

Moderator: zamros

MadTom
<:D

Black Metal

Post by MadTom »

I knew I'd have to start a thread for this eventually

I'm listening to quite a bit of black metal lately and I'm finding that I really like the genre as a whole. Mostly I've been listening to Burzum which is far and away my favourite of the genre (and probably my favourite band overall), but I've also sampled Mayhem, Emperor, Finntroll, and Gorgoroth, to name but a few. I've listened to some Darkthrone but I don't really like them as much. Immortal are likewise super cheesy, but they also make some pretty neat music.

Terryn's the local authority on this stuff I guess and he was kind of guiding me through it for a bit, and I've also been talking to lonesomedwarf who also knows quite a bit about it. Zenith recommended something in "progressive black" by Ulver which was a reading of a William Blake work, which I unfortunately couldn't get into. :(

I want to check out Nile at some stage because Egyptian black metal sounds like it could be pretty damn cool.

Anyway! Does anyone other than the obvious (Terryn, Nadir, myself) admit any affinity for this genre? I know its heyday as a community fad was really only a short-lived stint when Kracken got into it in #ma days, but me being me I missed the bandwagon back then :(

Here are some songs that I think are good, and thus by mere extension you should like them as well:

Burzum - Key to the Gate
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Burzum - War
Burzum - Ea, Lord of the Deeps
Burzum - Erblicket die Tochter des Firmaments
Burzum - Dunkelheit/Burzum
Darkthrone - In the Shadow of the Horns
Emperor - Ye Entrancemperium
Emperor - Thus Spake the Nightspirit
Finntroll - Forsvinn Du Som Lyser (Finnish black metal troll polka. Awesome by mere definition)
Finntroll - Trollhammaren
Gorgoroth - Sorg
Gorgoroth - Gorgoroth (Try different equalisations for this one)
Immortal - Call of the Wintermoon (AWESOME video)
Immortal - Solarfall
Immortal - Where Dark and Light Don't Differ
Mayhem - Funeral Fog (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNEEEEERAAAAAL ... FOG)

Incidentally, the Burzum guy is due out of prison on probation sometime next year in April, and he said he's probably going to make more music under the Burzum label. GOTHFAGNERDGASM
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

whoops.

don't google hardcore and expect to find angsty teens. :icannotcontrol: :drussrox: :icannotcontrol: :drussrox: :icannotcontrol: :icannotcontrol: :drussrox:
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I used to listen to Iron Maiden back in my younger years. It was alright, although that was the only heavy metal band that I've ever gotten into.
FSFunky
Fergalicious

Post by FSFunky »

<MADTOM>Who listens to church-burning Satan-worshipping, animal-devouring black metal ? \m/ -_- \m/
<ANDO> I LISTENED TO IRON MAIDEN ONCE LOl n***** penis penis
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i still like black metal! i don't listen to it as much as i used to but it still holds a special place in my heart ^.^

also i would like to pin varg vikernes down and force him to eat my nutty turds until he dies on account of being a fuckhead, i don't care how talented he supposedly is he's still a racist nazi asshole and he's not getting my money

and yes i know emperor were also involved in all the church-burning, homosexual-stabbing fuckery back in 1994, but at least they've wised up now. varg is like "lol true aryan jailbreak >:[ \m/" and like crashing cars into trees or some shit
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Terryn
torpid refresh rates!

Post by Terryn »

Speaking of freed fucktards, Nödtveidt is a gigantic fucktard himself. Dissection is back and they're REALLY horrible now. I wish their main page hadn't crashed, because it had a hilarious statement along the lines of "There have been a lot of rumors about Dissection and I want to clear them up. Dissection is an EVIL, SATANIST DEATH METAL band" but about 3000x funnier.

Megadeth won't play with them because Dissection are naughty boys :(
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

Zenith Nadir wrote:and yes i know emperor were also involved in all the church-burning, homosexual-stabbing fuckery back in 1994, but at least they've wised up now.
If by that you mean they kicked Faust out of the band. Although maybe Samoth has cooled down a little. I haven't been paying attention so I wouldn't know.
Zenith Nadir wrote:also i would like to pin varg vikernes down and force him to eat my nutty turds until he dies on account of being a fuckhead, i don't care how talented he supposedly is he's still a racist nazi asshole and he's not getting my money
Don't forget that he killed Euronymous! Even MadTom has to concede that point since he was part of Mayhem and MadTom likes Mayhem.
Wikipedia wrote:In the summer of 1992, a series of events were set in motion by the black metal inner circle. Members of Mayhem and Samoth, along with various other black metallers, set out to burn down the ancient churches of Norway. Also in 1992, Faust was in Lillehammer to see the newly constructed Olympic park. A homosexual man approached him and suggested that they go together in the nearby forest. Faust agreed, and once in the forest, stabbed the man to death. He was not convicted until a year later. After Faust committed the murder, he went with members of Mayhem to burn bibles and hymnals at a nearby ski-jump. In the summer of 1993, the band began work on their first full-length record. Emperor supported the famous British black metal group Cradle Of Filth on tour, and after this tour the band ceased wearing corpse paint; they stated that it was becoming a trend and losing its original significance and symbolism. In the autumn of that year, a police investigation began to solve the murder of Euronymous; this investigation eventually led to the incarceration of Samoth for arson, and of Faust for murder.

In 1994, In The Nightside Eclipse was released, and earned Emperor widespread acclaim and a large fanbase.
I love how they so effortlessly weave together the music and the violence in one big ball of nonchalance. "In the summer of whatever they began working on their first album. Then Faust killed a man and Samoth burned down a lot of churches, then they stopped wearing corpse paint and then they finished their first album. Then they were arrested and then they made another album which was quite a success."
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

Ando wrote:I used to listen to Iron Maiden back in my younger years. It was alright, although that was the only heavy metal band that I've ever gotten into.
I like Black Sabbath a lot more than Iron Maiden, but the latter is still really good. I like The Number of the Beast a lot and I have an apparently really shitty best of. 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' is my favourite song.
Zenith Nadir wrote:also i would like to pin varg vikernes down and force him to eat my nutty turds until he dies on account of being a fuckhead, i don't care how talented he supposedly is he's still a racist nazi asshole and he's not getting my money
I had and still have a moral dilemma in that respect. But the thing is I don't think you can really listen to or buy a lot of black metal without some of the contribution coming from moral or ideological jerks like Varg.

The only difference between Euronymous and Varg in terms of church burnings was that Varg actually lit the flames, Euronymous just said "members of my inner circle perpetrated the crimes" thereby making himself look EEEVIL and taking most of the credit. He said himself at at least one point that he didn't want to do anything of the sort personally because he was too important in the scene to be arrested.

I mean, the first thing the guy did on finding the vocalist for his band had blown himself away with a shotgun was take pictures for his next album cover, and cook and eat pieces of his brain in a stew (Hellhammer said he did it, too). And as Kjorteo says, Samoth and Faust (and Ihsahn, actually) were not nice guys either, and were members of the same circle.

but yeah I agree wholeheartedly Varg is a really musically talented prick
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

Yeah I think that I have only that aforesaid shitty best of compilation with Iron Maiden. It wasn't too bad, though. Thing is, though, is that I haven't listened to them for about four years, so it's been a long time.

Also I think that we are kind of the Emperor of the GCS communities. I mean, compared to DigitalMZX and the like, we're pretty crude and out there.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

hahah dmzx is peccatum

The other thing is that Burzum's lyrics (or at least what I've heard, which is pretty much all of them) can be pretty aggressive, but they aren't overtly racist (though sometimes paganist); they usually talk about dreamlike states and DAYS OF YORE and things like that. If he touches his Aryan ideologies at all it's usually if not always reasonably abstract. It's supposed to be about evoking a certain mood rather than persuading kiddies to burn churches.

They range from really scary stuff that an angry fourteen-year old would write:

"I LIE WOUNDED ON WINTERY GROUND!!!
WITH BLOODIED CORPSES ALL AROUND!!!
MANY WOUNDED CRAWL HELPLESSLY AROUND!!!
ON THE BLOOD-STAINED SNOWY GROUND!!!

WAR!!! WAR!!! WAR!!!"

To stuff that sounds a bit more developed and tempered, though admittedly no less angsty:

"I wonder how life will be,
With a death that I shall never see.
I wonder why life must be
A life that lasts eternally."
Last edited by MadTom on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terryn
torpid refresh rates!

Post by Terryn »

MaðTom wrote:hahah dmzx is peccatum
That probably makes me Ihriel =(

Actually, to fit the metaphor better, Digi would be Immortal and Z2 would be Carnival in Coal. Digi's far more conservative and serious but tries to play nice (Immortal distanced themselves from the circle despite their heavy ties to it) and has unintentional hilarity, while Z2 is all "XXX DOG PETTING" but tongue in cheek and fully aware of what it's doing.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

This is Exo

Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

this is tyrannous

r
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

actually i think euronymous and varg were as bad as each other

anyway i don't really care about the silly politics around black metal past "varg ain't getting my money", the music is where it's at

the self-titled THORNS album is pretty awesome, confirm/deny
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
http://yahoo.com/
*shuggles*

Post by http://yahoo.com/ »

do you know how fucked up this thread sounds to someone who has never listened to any kind of heavy metal in his life:?
this is a deep and meaningful quote