Book Reading Shit

You're a bunch of Philistines really, aren't you?

Moderator: superbowl shuffle

Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i hate most superhero comics because they're dumb

well, that's inaccurate really. vertigo titles like preacher and transmetropolitan are quasi-superheroic, what with a charismatic main character who can do stuff none of the others can (in preacher, jesse custer has THE VOICE OF GOD and in transmet spider jerusalem swears a lot, beats people up and writes columns for a newspaper). as far as real actual superheroes go, i often like the idea of them more than the execution, i can't be doing with the whole soap opera element of them, or how overused some characters are (i like wolverine as a character when he's written well, but does he have to be on the cover of every marvel title?).

having said that, i enjoyed what i read of brian bendis' "ultimate spider-man" (the one where they 'rebooted' him as a high school student), grant morrison's "new x-men" (though the third book was a piece of shit, overall it was excellent) and what i've read of bruce jones' "incredible hulk" run. i think i liked those because those are good writers and the comics didn't rely on stupid crossover shit, mostly being self-contained. i hate crossovers a lot, which is why i will certainly not be reading any new superhero titles this year what with the ultra mega hyper HOUSE OF INFINITE CRISIS ONSLAUGHT DISASSEMBLED crossover or whatever it's called.

the best marvel title is peter milligan's "x-force" (later "x-statix"; as opposed to the rob liefeld comic of the same name). if you hate stuff like 'celebrity big brother' (the 'reality' tv show, not 1984's dictatorship figurehead) and pop/american idol, you should read it. of course like all the good marvel titles it got cancelled because nobody loved it, but that may not have been unwarranted given it allegedly went downhill in the last year or so (i wouldn't know, i've only read up to the name change).

oh yeah, and i'd be remiss if i didn't mention the two jeph loeb batman books, "THE LONG HALLOWEEN" and "DARK VICTORY". 800 pages in total of batman (supposedly in his early days, shortly after frank miller's "year one" which the new batman film this year is based on) fighting gangsters, with the secret (not really) origins of two-face and robin!!!!!!!!! they are both very good and have none of the SUPER DARK AND GRITTY OMG I WORK ALONE I DON'T NEED ANYONE OH NO MY BACK GOT BROKEN NOW I LEARNED HOW TO TRUST PEOPLE ;) titting around and posturing the main continuity batman comic has.
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

:P

I like pretty much all incarnations of batman, he's pretty much the only superhero worth reading. That said the exception is that I really enjoy the earlier Uncanny X-Men.

Tintin
Last edited by Commodore on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Tintin?
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

yes
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
nuero
███▄ ▀█ââ€

Post by nuero »

I finished On the Road, started House of Leaves, finished that, and now I'm going to re-read Hitchhiker's Guide.
Zack: Preppy, charming and totally gorgeous! Zach is a schemer who would rather stay up all night figuring how to get out of an exam than studying for it!

Slater: The All-American athlete with dimples to die for! Captain of Bayside's football team, Slater is a chauvinist who -- believe it or not -- has an emotional side. What a combo!

Screech: Class clown and electronic genius! When Screech turns on the power, the fun never stops!
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^;;;

lately i are mostly been reading

100% by paul pope
the tale of one bad rat by bryan talbot
watchmen by alan moore & dave gibbons (soon to be adapted into a film, which, if like other alan moore-adapted films, will be really horrible)
blood: a tale by j.m. dematteis & kent williams, which i can't seem to find any decent reviews or sites about on google; such is the fate of many lesser known non-mainstream comic books from the 80's ;-;

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

i'm rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide series
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
tapeworm
Help computer.

Post by tapeworm »

I've been trying to find some new (to me) comic books lately. After some research and asking for recommendations on the Internet (I don't know anyone in real life who likes comics other than maybe the spandex superhero kind, which I generally don't care for), I ended up ordering one called It's a Bird and one called Persepolis.

On a recommendation, I also bought random issues of B.P.R.D. and Hellboy last week. Both showed promise and I may go for a collection of one or both. I also bought the first issue of Bone, wherein not much happens and the characters have silly names. I'll probably give Bone another shot, though, as I always seem to see it mentioned in connection with things I like.

I really like some Sandman stories (such as Season of Mists and World's End) but I don't like some of the other sequences as much.

Watchmen is pretty interesting, but it didn't grab me the way it seems to a lot of people.

I read a lot of books, but my post is long enough already.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

oh oh oh, i totally forgot to mention that i got FLIGHT VOLUME 2 recently and i love it and as such am totally pimping it on the internet right here and now

flight is an indie comic anthology title published by image, this volume is 33 short stories comprising 430+ full colour pages for $25 rrp; i got mine for £11 off amazon, which isn't bad at all. i'll have to get the first volume sometime.

famous names include doug tennapel (earthworm jim co-creator, creature tech), becky cloonan (demo) and jeff smith (bone), but in my opinion the best work is by relative unknowns.

amazon.com
amazon.co.uk

i seriously recommend this book to anybody, this is not a joke. buy it. do it damn you, this sort of book doesn't get enough custom and it deserves your attention

here is a review if you're not convinced by my rambling.

dddddddddddooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttt

tapeworm
Help computer.

Post by tapeworm »

Zenith Nadir wrote:FLIGHT VOLUME 2
Zenith Nadir wrote:i love it
Zenith Nadir wrote:buy it.
I bought this because you said to. It was the most I've ever paid for a comic book, but it was certainly worth it. I second the recommendation. I'm going to order the first one right now.
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

i'll never buy comics ever because i hate them

oh, unless it's japanese!!! ^__________________^

http://yahoo.com/
*shuggles*

Post by http://yahoo.com/ »

nps wrote:Image
"My girlfriends want me to ask if you really stick a rolling pin down your pants professor?"

"FOR THE FINAL TIME I DO NOT STUFF MY PANTS! I HAVE NO EYEBALLS BEHIND THESE GLASSES!"
this is a deep and meaningful quote
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

Azumanga Daioh is pretty good ^_________^
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

nps knows the truth

nothing is worth anything unless it comes from the holy motherland of nippon

i had a copy of the first book of azumanga daioh for a while before i sold it