#put e #blue solid

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

#put e #blue solid

Post by superbowl shuffle »

Flashback to god knows how long ago!

I was making the engine for the ecco the dolphin zzt game and I was using the type of transport where the passage duplicates on the player (called the koopo method, apparently). So I end up with a passage that I want to turn back into a dark blue solid. Now, there is no way to do this so I decide that, for now, I'll just #put e blue solid. But I fucked up and #put e #blue solid. Now I don't know what the fuck it means when a solid is #blue, but holy shit it motherfucking worked and I got a dark blue solid.

Flashforward to today!

I am reading the user articles and there is this article about the koopo bug. This reminds me of how that thing ended up working out for me. So I test it out, see? And #put e #blue solid or #red fake or whatever makes a black solid, except when there is a passage there. In that case, the passage becomes a solid of the passage color.

So what I'm asking you all is what the fuck?

As long as I'm making a new topic, let's talk about this 'koopo bug'. With Ecco, I have encountered maybe a hundred bugs, and they should all be fixed at this point. So I wonder, does this koopo bug happen all the time, because I'm not sure if it has happened to me.

I hope post this makes sense because I've had a few and I don't want to go back and change things around.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

people wondered why koopo had green hair.. koopo and dragonlord solved that mystery.. case closed... koopo also did do one thing that was cool. he made a 3d maze engine that didn't suck... it sorta even made you wanna use em.. i think he used them in darknessfalls 1-3, forget which one though.
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

Stupid question to ressurect a semi-dead thread but how long have you been working on Ecco? And how much of it is done?
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I always mark on the title screen when I begin a game and I created the first world file 11:16 PM Sunday July 27, 2003. But that was several weeks after I had started on the engine. So I've been working on it for a year and a half, though I haven't touched it much lately. Also, I had created a similar but much simpler Ecco engine around 2001 or so. I nearly finished the first level and am a few boards into the second. I have ideas for about seven levels.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
What can be said now?

Post by 536 »

Yeah, this has been known for a while. It isn't a solid, and there's nothing special about #blue, #red, etc. Basically, when you #put certain things that don't actually exist (like a #blue), it bugs out and places some weird high-number element instead of giving the regular error. In this case, the element has a blank character, meaning that you just see a solid background color. When you do it over a blue passage, you get a white-on-blue element with a blank character, so you just see the dark blue background.

I haven't been able to find consistency in the keywords that cause these errors. One nonexistent element name (I forgot what the name was) creates what looks like a green text element, and often crashes ZZT.
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

Wasn't it called an Octothorpe or something like that?

Also hi Nanobot

Also ZOMG FORUM NECROMANCY

Also :adomisfreewareyoudontneedacrackorserialnumbertopl
Reason and logic had led people into the horrors of war; the only route to salvation was to reject logic and embrace anarchy and the irrational.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

also, god knows this is what we've been missing from the fora, rational explanations.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

the green text thing was called a slider... not a sliderns or sliderew, but slider... and it only worked if you changed someting to a slider... and if it didn't crash it would ask for every parameter if you pressed enter on it..... and if you tried to remove the stats of it it just became text.. I'm sure there was another thing you could call it to appear.. i just remember slider worked.. but yeah, it ask the duplication rate, the intelligence 5 times, every question in zzt basically, if it didn't crash..
▒░Vivois▒▓█
-i like elk