Figure I should release my best engine.

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

What can be said now?

Figure I should release my best engine.

Post by 701 »

Joj here, been forever and a day since I have even thought about opening ZZT. But I have one thing I made that is yet to be released.

The 4 engine brought out something in ZZT for me I could never do before. Make a game that had options to interact, an inventory without ?+whatever and very fine gameplay. The problem was the engine was large... and the graphics had to be detrimented because of the style of game.

Well... I have taken the 4 engine, I made it into a mouse engine, one button click very simple menu where the menu is at the bottom, you don't need to even move to change rooms. It was a wonderful engine.. but again the graphics had to suck for the game style.

So I took out the cursor, I made it into a player. Changed the engine so you can choose the direction to interact with objects (shoot left interact to the left of you) Changed Search, manipulate etc to Talk, Push etc. And made an RPG engine.

While I was out it I redid all of the coding in the 4 engine to make it's size much smaller. The base engine is now only 8 KB... It keeps track of 3 stats Strength, Skill and Mind (don't have to do with level or fighting, just outside motives, like persuading people or jumping a gorge) Because it was originally the 4 engine it was very easy to implement the use of spells outside of battle. (for example in the first part you have only fire to work with. The is brush in your way but you can burn it down with your spell)

Plus the thing many have thought was impossible in ZZT - It has random battles, and the ability to level up to level 99. And leveling up does effect how well your character does in battle. The battle system is set up in a very simple but strategic way. Since it does not use the player as the actualy player I can actually have it so that it will actually bring you into battle and drop you off back to where you were on the board.

I'm trying to optimise the engine right now. But I basically have a story. Starring a woman who kills a New Empire Soldier (New Empire basically controlling the world) to try to protect herself from getting raped. However, since the NE controls the world, it is death to kill one of their officers. In a cruel attempt to keep the hopes and spirits of the poor (basically 99% of the world) up, instead of just killing someone, when they commit a crime they are 'marked' basically meaning that they have a bounty on their head. It is the only way for the poor to move up in the world. For this, her family, friends basically anyone she knows will most likely turn on her to try to get the money for her bounty. The story revolves around trying to save your life and bring a rebellion upon the New Empire. But considering everyone knows you are marked, it is hard to find anyone to trust.

Anyway, I'll release what I can when I can. Most likely it will be in volumes, it will keep me driven to make it. Expect the first Volume not too long since once I start I can usually pull atleast that much out before I get bored again.

If there are any questions, comments.. concerns, regrets. Just let me know.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

This sounds awesome. I want to see the engine :(
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Sounds too good to be true, so I hope it is true.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
What can be said now?

Post by 701 »

Oh, I mean this isn't some 'I'm gonna make this' type of thing. The engine is already made. Give me a day or so to get a few tweaks out put together a demo board and I will post it.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I think it would be wicked if you included like the INNER POLITICS of this New Empire deal, you know, to make this organization more alive and interesting. Some of the members could be more evil than others and shit like that. That always adds flavor to a story like dumpling sauce to a dumpling. It's no fun when we are simply told that they are evil.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
What can be said now?

Post by 701 »

It's not that they are evil. They just have to keep the population happy. The best way is to give them something to live for. Much like the gladiators of Rome. The hunting of bounties is entertainment. Not to mention the only true way to move up in life. It's just a tool they use to keep people from revolting. It is very possible you will find some Soldiers that aren't quite evil and will be willing to help.
What can be said now?

Post by 570 »

Are you saying that just about everybody in this world will have some affect in your quest? That would be cool, it is far better than the random person saying, "Sorry, I know nothing!" or, "You must save us from the bad people!".
Anyway, good luck making that game, I want that demo NOW. =(
What can be said now?

Post by 701 »

Here is what I'm saying.

It is going to basically be you against the world.

No one needs saving besides yourself, and believe me.. nearly no one is going to be wanting to help you.

Being marked is being MARKED.. you have a sign branded into your forhead. You are basically a walking bag of money traveling through the bad part of town.

I really don't think this is going to be a 'lets go to villiage to village' type game.

Sure.. there might be a safe haven ;)
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

If you're still on the loose, how'd they manage to put the brand on your head?
What can be said now?

Post by 701 »

Basically the open story is as follows:

(skipping the world intro and a little bit of a prologue)

You (your name is now Rio) Are basically an underling in this empire. They have full control, guards posted in the cities, checks on all bought items. You are thinking of this as a medieval type world. It's not... it's more technological.. think like Final Fantasy sort of.. where it is still fantasy but lots of Machine influence. So I mean guards have implanted Life status checks. If one is dead, the others in the area know.

Plus it was not a stealthy act, you were basically walking home from a bar when this drunk soldier sees you and tries to pull you aside and rape you. Well out of instinct you stab him with a knife you carry. Freaked out you try to explain yourself, are taken by the other guards branded without a fair trial, given a gun and thrown into the Outskirts. As is the law of the hunt.
My Liver Hurtz
All Hail

Post by My Liver Hurtz »

Wow, this sounds great. I can't wait to play it!
I did!--I did!--You're quicker than your friend... Now for a handful of guilders I happen to have a private and uncut performance of The Rape of the Sabine Women-or rather woman, or rather Alfred--. Get your skirt on, Alfred--
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

Oh, so it's like that book The Running Man, except less like a game show.
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

This sounds like quite an interesting project.
What can be said now?

Post by 464 »

These are the kind of things that make you urge for old school things like zzt. I like how people haven't lost complete intrest in it just yet =D.

I can't wait to see this.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

I urge? You must have the urge of Herbal.