Space Shooters

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

If there was a mass dogfight between these spaceships, which would kick the most ass?

Vic Viper
11%
R-9
17%
Magic Girl
17%
Axelay
6%
Thunderforce
No votes
ZIG
22%
Ikaruga
28%

Total votes: 18

Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

Stak, I played Zero Wing in an arcade once. My ship could only take one hit, and whenever I died I was sent back to the beginning of the stage. The powerup system seemed interesting, but no game is worth putting up with such sadistic artificial difficulty. IT'S EVOCATIVE.
Reason and logic had led people into the horrors of war; the only route to salvation was to reject logic and embrace anarchy and the irrational.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

I think what I liked best about Zanac was the music from the first level. (Not that I ever heard music from any other levels, since I never beat the first one. I HAVE NO SKILLS)

I remember the game had this really fancy way of deciding how many enemies you would be up against. The manual went into this big explanation of "Kill this enemy and get more enemies, or kill this enemy and get fewer enemies, or fail to kill this enemy and get a buttload of more enemies," but trying to remember it all DRAINS MY BRAIN ACTIVITY too much. I'd rather worry about where to get all the nifty little weapon upgrades. TRIPLE SHIELDS, YEAH!
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

so do people prefer vertical shooters or horizontal ones? or does this merit another poll?

I like 'em both.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

What we need is more diagonal shooters.
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
What can be said now?

Post by 646 »

The only diagonal game that I know of is "Super Pro Football*" for the SNES. It was diagonal, and very confusing.

*Not completely sure if that's the right title or not.
Terryn
torpid refresh rates!

Post by Terryn »

The only diagonal shooters I can think of are Zaxxon (classic, arcade), Viewpoint (Neo*Geo) and Zaxxon Motherbase (32X).
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

Zaxxon and Zanac are fun words.
Reason and logic had led people into the horrors of war; the only route to salvation was to reject logic and embrace anarchy and the irrational.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

I seriously hope that the name "Zanac" was derived from the word "zany".
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

This is more recent (and in 3D, which may rule it out of this discussion) but I remember STAR FOX kicking ass.

Zandor: YES. Zero Wing was hard as hell, but I wish more games used it's powerup system, along with the nifty tractor-beam thingy. Being able to catch enemy ships, then throwing them at other ships or using it as a shield, was awesome.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

If Star Fox counts, then so do the Descent games.

Descent was a fps game where you were a guy called MATERIAL DEFENDER who had to go into these mines to blow up rogue robots, and because the mines were in outer space and in zero-gravity/minimal gravity you had to go around in a spaceship. It was an awesome game.

star fox is ok i guess but it's not aged well and message boards on the subject are plagued by furries

Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

Nadir: Yeah, the original Star Fox is kinda old, but I still play Star Fox 64 occasionally, and I'll be the first in line to get Star Fox Armada when it comes out for the Gamecube.

ALSO: If it wasn't for Krystal from Star Fox Adventures, the furry-ism wouldn't be HALF as rampant. When that game came out, they were all "OMG A GIRL" n'stuff. Damn you, Rare!
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

it's too bad that desperate losers can't control themselves around fictional characters who happen to have breasts and a vagina

oh well

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

When the original Star Fox came out I sucked at it. I still do, but Star Fox 64 is excellent.

Also I have no idea who Krystal is but wasn't Kat the first girl from Star Fox 64?
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Mooseka
;-*

Post by Mooseka »

what we need more of is science.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Dr. Dos wrote:Also I have no idea who Krystal is but wasn't Kat the first girl from Star Fox 64?
We all know Falco is a girl.

also this is a twist on diagonal stuff.

Edit: I just noticed the id number is leet. :P
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*