ZZT <experience>

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Should Runtime-errors be replicated and cause ZZT experience to crash?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 28

What can be said now?

Post by 201 »

I think this is Awesome so far. Although, the characters seem a little off, You should add fullscreen, and try to get the characters to be accurate. Like the ZZFont util on this site.Oh, and it's just not the ZZT Experience without the ZZT Sidebar. :-)
SaxxonPike
What can be said now?

Post by SaxxonPike »

I suppose I could re-code some stuff to get the ZZT sidebar back, things seem to be getting a little crowded anyhow.
SaxxonPike
What can be said now?

Post by SaxxonPike »

Okay, I've made up my mind:

* Clean up the scroll-view code. It is a little messy and inefficient as of now.
* Add a ZZM player/ripper.
* Add support for saving games.
* Return the old ZZT sidebar on the right.

I would post a full feature list about what's already there, but it's a bit long...
What can be said now?

Post by 105 »

If it helps, there's a very meticulous, well-written ZZM parser in KevEdit, here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/k ... dit/synth/

The relevent files are notes.c/h which defines a format-independent note-chain structure and zzm.c/h which actually parses ZZM into the note-chain structure for easy playback. The other files are used for playing back the note-chain in DOS and SDL, which may be useful to you. It's all pretty well commented. Feel free to take whatever code you want.

(btw, on the above page, click the revision numbers to download the files, not the file names; that gives you revision history. Or better yet, use CVS.)

Out of curiousity, what are you using to develop ZZT Experience? Compiler? Interface? I've been out of touch for a while and haven't been following this. I'm very impressed with how much you've done in such little time.
SaxxonPike
What can be said now?

Post by SaxxonPike »

bitman wrote:If it helps, there's a very meticulous, well-written ZZM parser in KevEdit, here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/k ... dit/synth/

The relevent files are notes.c/h which defines a format-independent note-chain structure and zzm.c/h which actually parses ZZM into the note-chain structure for easy playback. The other files are used for playing back the note-chain in DOS and SDL, which may be useful to you. It's all pretty well commented. Feel free to take whatever code you want.

(btw, on the above page, click the revision numbers to download the files, not the file names; that gives you revision history. Or better yet, use CVS.)

Out of curiousity, what are you using to develop ZZT Experience? Compiler? Interface? I've been out of touch for a while and haven't been following this. I'm very impressed with how much you've done in such little time.
First of all, thanks for the kickass reference.

Second, here's the tech specs:
* Visual Basic 6
* Ian Luck's BASSMOD system (www.un4seen.com)

As for the code itself, I programmed everything except the DLL for which the sound system uses. Thanks to Kev Vance's file format thing (which had a few errors and missing things, btw) I've been able to easily parse the ZZT file format. I've put a lot of time and devotion into the project, though it seems with school being a factor, I can't spend as much time as I want.

If you have more questions, e-mail me. (see profile for details)
What can be said now?

Post by 136 »

If it is VB6, and is also Open-Sorce, then maybe I can help you to do it
Mooseka
;-*

Post by Mooseka »

zzo38 wrote:If it is VB6, and is also Open-Sorce, then maybe I can help you to do it
I DEMAND TO KNOW WHO YOU ARE, IMPOSTER.
What can be said now?

Post by 105 »

You've been using Kev's old ff document? That's so terribly out of date, it isn't even funny. We never bothered to update it because Nanobot superseded it with his Mystical Winds Encyclopedia. I did some looking around and it looks like Nanobot and his website are gone for good, but his encyclopedia is still available on Zeuxworld:

http://www.zeuxworld.com/files/utils/mwencv14.zip

The "MW File Format.doc" and "MW Element Reference.doc" files will probably be the most useful. Nanobot disected ZZT with the scientific method like nobody else. It's really a shame he's gone. And I can't believe Z2 doesn't have the MW Encyclopedia. I mean, really...

Oh well. No more questions for me. Let me know if I can help w/ anything. I'm a pretty decent authority myself, having worked on KevEdit so much. It's good to finally see a working clone.
SaxxonPike
What can be said now?

Post by SaxxonPike »

That's kind of what I was looking for, but I've got so much documentation on the ZZT format that I found out while I was programming the project that I really do think I've found out most of what's inside. I did, however, use that encyclopedia to figure out a few board elements, but in the end I do believe that the only thing standing in my way is a few OOP commands and the nifty original ZZT interface. I really do plan on that soon, but with the pressures of school and other miscellaneous things, it'll be a long time before I actually update.