Lyon

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Re: Lyon

Post by Saxxon »

Smileymzx: Is it happening on all centipedes on that board? Note that one of the centipedes automatically separates itself due to a bug in ZZT itself in the upper right corner; you can verify this yourself.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Actually, All enemies, Including Centipedes and Slimes, Act wonky!

So... Yes, Verified!
neon
newcomer

Post by neon »

any chance there'll ever be a way to turn off the "footstep" noise/obnoxious clicking? I'm not sure if that was originally in ZZT (DOSbox sure doesn't seem to emulate it) but it's seriously grating

I get that (B)e Quiet exists but that obviously shuts off all sound, including music and all the other sound effects
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

It's a little louder, or something, than it normally is, I would equate that to the use of recordings instead of pc speaker emulation, but the running sfx does exist in the game.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
neon
newcomer

Post by neon »

Commodore wrote:It's a little louder, or something, than it normally is, I would equate that to the use of recordings instead of pc speaker emulation, but the running sfx does exist in the game.
ah. I thought I was hearing something while running it in dosbox, but couldn't tell if it was an audio glitch or me hearing things because it seemed way quieter

either way my point still stands, honestly
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

I think it'd be a good idea to be able to disable the sound, agreed.

The reason it's louder in Lyon is because the sounds were recorded with a slow CPU setting in DosBox. On slower CPUs the sound is more pronounced because the step is generated by setting the PC speaker output level, then resetting it immediately. This means that on faster computers the operation is so fast that the PC speaker can't physically move as fast as it is being instructed.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Science! :learn:
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Since my other programming obligations are now done, I can continue...
Attachments
torch.png
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Finally great to see the editor back, If only the Element glitches that were present from revisions after 156 were fixed, Elements worked fine in revision 156! (I assume that it can be related to the code for cycles and timing, But I am very unsure!)

Meaning I will still use r156 until later builds get fixed if not already!

EDIT: I was going to add support for the #DIEITEM command for items for my clone that I was basing this off of, but I need assistance!
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

So very excited. Naturally I propose a few ideas:

I think I would rather select chars from a grid than a list.

It would be useful to have a little info box with the x,y of the mouse pointer, (like in Zap), but also contain a little more information than just location, like type, name, and stat index.

Also I hope you consider putting in keyboard control. Zap sort of does this, but is broken. I think you could have a similar setup, with a selected tile, but the tile need not change until the mouse is clicked, rather than following the mouse like in Zap. Tab for drawing is a habit. I know tab is now usually used for changing focus in modern applications though. Following the zzt editor keyboard shortcuts would be cool.

I say these things because for me the editor is the majority of the experience of zzt for me. I've certainly spent more hours in it than playing games.

Anyway, just looking for something to type about. Rock on Saxxon.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Here are the things I considered for input:

- I could implement all controls exactly as they are in ZZT's editor and add enhancements (you can already use the F1-F3, etc keys to select elements using the exact same shortcuts)...
- ...however, KevEdit is basically this already.

Worth the trouble? I'm thinking KevEdit already fills this gap. It's still being considered, though.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Perhaps as a compromise to straight kevedit/zzt commands, some of them could become control codes. like Alt-Z puts the player, Alt-O opens a object dialogue.

A lot of kevedits shortcuts would not be needed, like the list of objects, or the world/board info screens, this sort of information can be accessed by a menu/button, No need for a command to "show objects" if there is a convenient toggle.

But realistically, before any shortcut similarities, I would really just like to see the Cursor Keys, Space, Enter, and Tab work they way they normally do. Maybe Tab needs to be changed to something else not ruin the Look&Feel of windows though.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Permanent home. Promise.

https://github.com/SaxxonPike/roton/

The move to a flat memory block is complete. Builds will be announced as they become available.
ghettoflower
viovis

any thoughts on a higher res superzzt?

Post by ghettoflower »

I was wondering if you could make like a superzzt that is slightly less zooooomy? you know, so like... with a little freeroam.... For the future.
▒░Vivois▒▓█
-i like elk
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

I'm replicating the original interfaces first. Could be fun to expand on that later.

Fun fact: To show an entire Super ZZT board unscaled on-screen, you'd need to have room for at least 1536x1120 pixels.