Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

buildings looks like penises because vaginas make for lousy housing
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

tell that to the furries
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
wayward
unranked

Post by wayward »

Gah. Very frustrated. I was testing file 1 when suddenly I found a board where a bunch of objects suddenly decided they do not want to respond to either touch commands or having touch zapped. It's ridiculous. I even cut the board size down a ton and still to no avail. Could it possibly have something to do with my zzt world size being above 250? I'm not exactly sure why that would be a problem. Just bizarre touching behavior. Unfortunately, also game breaking behavior. FYI the code is intact for all objects on the board just like I left it.

Tired of looking at it tonight. If anyone wants to look at the code for one of the objects feel free. I can't explain the other set very well. They were working perfectly and then became very unresponsive. Relevant code retyped below since my comp doesn't seem to want to cut and past tonight.

Code: Select all

:touch
blah blah text
#end

:turn
#zap touch
/i/i
more blah blah text
/i/i
#send one:omg
#kill

:kill
/i#all:pong
?seek?rnd#shoot seek
?seek?rnd?rnd?rnd?seek#shoot seek
/i#kill

:touch
blah blah blah
/i/i/i/i#kill
Yes
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

If you're using #bind that shares the code. So when one #zaps, everybody's :touch gets zapped.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

Is it possible that the object gets the signal to start the :turn loop twice or more?

I don't know how the objects communicate with eachother, but if it should be able to run the :turn loop multiple times, you could #restore touch before you #zap touch.
My waste is my weapon.
wayward
unranked

Post by wayward »

Dr. Dos wrote:If you're using #bind that shares the code. So when one #zaps, everybody's :touch gets zapped.
Really? Woah, how did I not know that? That's an easy fix at least.

Then again, I have other objects that are bound together that were zapping touch okay before. Now they aren't as much. It's a very strange situation that almost makes me wonder if I have too much communication going on between objects back and forth at the same time. Is that even possible.

Fortunately, it works 100% fine in an older file I have before I made some cosmetic changes to the room. At least I can just drop that file in.
RobertP wrote:Is it possible that the object gets the signal to start the :turn loop twice or more?

I don't know how the objects communicate with eachother, but if it should be able to run the :turn loop multiple times, you could #restore touch before you #zap touch.
Thanks. I actually had just changed it to "turn" from another command because I was worried about this exact problem. It's a one time command, and strangely it wasn't even running at a 100% success rate. Hopefully I can hammer the room back in place and then I won't touch it.

edit: fixed it. Just decided to use a flag instead of having things zap. Thanks for the info on binding -- I had no idea.
Yes
wayward
unranked

Post by wayward »

File 1 is ready for testing. Hooray. Just need to find a few people to test it. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to email it to you (just respond in thread or just send me a PM). Hopefully I'll be done with file 2 around the middle of next month.

Music is crap and sound effects are not fully implemented, but those are things I'll add later when I get a good feeling about composing. I can do it -- I just have yet to find "it." you know?

The plan is still to release both files together. The big question will be when my fiance has her child. She's due late July, but obviously that isn't under our control. Our child was diagnosed with CDH* and he has been monitored like crazy since March. We already know he'll be whisked away to NICU after he's born. Could be for two weeks, could be for a year. Hopefully it will only be for the shorter term, but ZZTing will definitely be far from my mind.

In other words, there's no huge rush for me to get the game tested, but I'm just trying to make plans for if the baby comes early.

* More info on CDH HERE

edit: Thanks for you all's encouragement with making this game. It's helped keep me motivated and I just checked and realized something: in 1 month's time I have churned out the biggest single ZZT file I've ever created. That's a big step -- hopefully it has quantity and quality.
Yes
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

I'll test. I'm still busy for about a week, but after that I'll have the time. Good luck to you, your child and your wife.
My waste is my weapon.
wayward
unranked

Post by wayward »

Just ran a test play through of the first file. Clocked out at 1 hour 45 minutes and that's with me generally knowing what's going on. Still a few things that I need to fix and a few ideas that I'll need to clarify once I'm done with file two.

Still, I was a more than a little surprised.
Yes
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

whats the file size and how many boards are there?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
wayward
unranked

Post by wayward »

Commodore wrote:whats the file size and how many boards are there?
File 1
26 Boards
276 KB (You could say I tried to pack it in)

File 2
52 Boards (planned)
60 KB (just started in earnest yesterday)

I've seen more than a few .zzt files that are over 300k. Would it be fair to say that ~350kb is an acceptable size limit, or should I really try hard to keep it under 300k to prevent runtime errors?

The designs of the two files are pretty different though -- I don't think I'm going to have so many boards that are 18k-19.5k bytes for the second file. But if it must spill into a 3rd file, and I hope it doesn't, so be it.
Yes
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

In my experience the stability issue with exceeding sizes is mostly on the programming end where sometimes corruption can occur. Something might display and save in the editor correctly, but on reload be completely screwed. Make several backups as you push the size higher and higher into the danger areas. it's also a good idea to export the largest boards as separate backups.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
wayward
unranked

Post by wayward »

Commodore wrote:In my experience the stability issue with exceeding sizes is mostly on the programming end where sometimes corruption can occur. Something might display and save in the editor correctly, but on reload be completely screwed. Make several backups as you push the size higher and higher into the danger areas. it's also a good idea to export the largest boards as separate backups.
Thanks for the advice. I've been backing up files copiously, but have yet to do it with individual boards. (Edit: is file size even a problem when editing with kevedit?)

Also, fixed a few minor things in one of the boards and say that its size is 19,998 bytes. Talk about right on the limit.
Yes
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I only use the dos version of kevedit, if you use the windows version things might be different since it's got more memory to work with, but that might actually make it more dangerous since it is able to access more RAM than ZZT itself can.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
wayward
unranked

Post by wayward »

Commodore wrote:I only use the dos version of kevedit, if you use the windows version things might be different since it's got more memory to work with, but that might actually make it more dangerous since it is able to access more RAM than ZZT itself can.
That's a good point. Then again, the dos version of kevedit is kind of weird on my computer. Whether I'm in windows or mac mode (using dosbox of course) the program crashes whenever I try to access the board info. No idea why.
Yes