Zap

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Zap

Post by Saxxon »

Reserving this first post for download/source links and updates. Stay tuned.
Last edited by Saxxon on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

link?
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Eh, a beta perhaps..
http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0001.zip

To make a rectangular selection, hold CTRL and drag.
To keep straight along the horizontal or vertical axis, hold SHIFT and drag. Whichever movement is made first will be the axis that it snaps to - like if you hold shift and go down, you're now snapped to the vertical axis until you release SHIFT.

Right click for tile/selection options. Not everything works, such as Flood Fill. S = Save, L = Load, T = Transfer... you can even press F1 to get the items menu, etc. It's practically got the same shortcut functionality as the original ZZT editor. Except that when you make a selection, it isn't automatically placed on the board -- just placed on the palette.

On the palette there are two small black bars. The bottom one contains your buffer. The top one contains shortcuts to solid, normal, breakable, water, line, etc.

For those of you with high resolution monitors, you can go to the toolbar and under Options there will be the "2x" mode. That'll scale the edit window to two times its size.

This program uses Windows GDI and not DirectX. Therefore, while it won't require any special setup in your computer, it may be a tad slow at times.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

Sexy.

If you finished it, I'd use it. The mouse movement in zzt is terrible.
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

ImageImageImageImageImage

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

using the mouse is a lot different than i thought it would be

that's pretty goddamn cool what you've made there saxxon
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Those screenshots really make me want to put in text support... but holy crap ZZT mouse art
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

This isn't too bad at all. And yeah, the mouse movement in ZZT is pretty bad. I really don't even bother with it. If you do finish it, and add some more features, I would consider using it over Kevedit. Not sure if I'd use it solely however.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

hyde` wrote:This isn't too bad at all. And yeah, the mouse movement in ZZT is pretty bad. I really don't even bother with it. If you do finish it, and add some more features, I would consider using it over Kevedit. Not sure if I'd use it solely however.
KevEdit's will always be the editor that's packed with more features. This editor here just offers an alternative method.

By the way, what would you think of having the objects on-board animate? Only the simple built-in animations that only change chars of course (counter, clockwise, transporter, duplicator, etc). Even better for dupes as you could directly see the rate. Perhaps even something similar to Megazeux's "show objects" as well.

Also in the next version, putting an empty or fake on top of the main player object will change what's under the player.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Text entry added. Pressing F4 toggles between Text and Edit mode. In Text mode, the cursor no longer follows your mouse and instead you click on screen manually to place the cursor. Any text entered will appear at the cursor. It also accepts those nifty ALT-### type characters as well, if they are 32 ascii or higher. As for your characters below 32 ascii, just select the text element on the palette and then match up the color with the ascii number you want. For text entry to be valid, the Edit window must have focus - the Palette window can't be selected.

Also added: board info dialog. When I finish the Stat edit dialog, I'll upload the update.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Progress :)

http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0002.zip
I think this editor's now to the point where you can create a game with it.

* Flood fill works kind of slow right now because I am using a very unoptimized method (will work on that, promise).
* Stat and code editing are in now. You can access them by using the right-click menu. Statless squares won't show anything. If you want to add stats to anything that normally doesn't, you will have to use the "S" checkbox on the palette and place it.
* Selecting items using F1/F2/F3 in the editor will automatically change whether or not things get stats added to them. Selecting them on the palette will NOT.
* Access the board information window with I. Access the world information window with SHIFT+I. The world info contains flags, player information, etc.
* If you are going to use Passages to link your boards, you will first want to place it on the board where you want it. Then, right click and edit its stats. There, you will be able to choose the destination.
* After editing code or stats of any item, it will automatically appear in the buffer and be active - just like in the ZZT editor.
* Transporters and conveyors now animate automatically.
* Press F4 to access the TEXT mode. The dotted cursor will detach from your mouse. That's where the text goes. Enter it as you normally would. You can then press F4 to go right back to EDIT mode.
* The middle mouse button copies the selected tile. No more having to right then left click.

Well, I think that'll do it for the night. Enjoy :) Feel free to give suggestions and find some bugs and stuff.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

This is pretty fucking cool.

I'd make an option to have the toolbar stay on top of the drawing window. I'd even consider making is smaller. There should be an object counter to show you if you've gone over the stat limit.

also blinking things. I like the menus and copy on the third mouse button is cool too.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

There are blinking things. They're just done differently.

The B checkbox on the Palette is the blink box. Essentially its a "permit blinks" box. Turn it on. Now set your background color to something on the bottom color row. The D box works just like KevEdit: the "use default color" box -- like torches will be brown, etc. The S box is the "has stats" box.

Perhaps I should fix up a couple other things and do up a Readme so it can be added to the front page. :)
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0003.zip

* Fixed up some of the copy code. It should now automatically set the "stat" checkbox to whatever is necessary. This caused problems in the old editor when you copied a stat object to the buffer, then copied a non-stat object.

* Added a check for the "magic bytes". And of course, a way to load it anyway even if they aren't present. (for whatever reason, I haven't the slightest idea.)

* "Allow Blinks" now defaults to On.

* The shortcuts on the Palette window have been externalized to a config file so you can set them yourself. When changing shortcuts, remember that the name in the shortcut file must match the text exactly as it reads in the selection drop-down menu. (though it is not case sensitive). It may not always be the same as ZZT's representation -- "Breakable Wall" for example.

* Changed the animations for the conveyors to behave more like ZZT (there, they don't all change frames at the same time) - Transporters will do the same next release.

* The buffer should now properly show the characters of objects you have copied instead of always char 2.
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

Hot!Image

Plotting tile is like gooping paint 'n shtuff all over the place with yo hands I think I just...

Let's just skip that, it's pretty awesome. Awesomer if you can open multiple boards and plot between them all. Very useful having a STK open without having to select back and forward manually.
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

could you add drag+dropping of zzt files into the window to load them?