dmzx is so, so horrible

Michael Gaddass wants to keep up with you on Twitter

Moderator: zamros

Elig
newcomer

Post by Elig »

Alright, well, I probably shouldnt even be posting here, but I was linked to it and figured.. Why not. Anyway, I hang around DMZX quite a bit, Im good friends with Exo and Lancer, and I'd like to think that I generally have the respect of some other people there. This whole debate over DMZX comes up from time to time, and usually I've kindof stayed out of it, but I think maybe I have something legitimate to say this time.

Firstly, though I dont generally like flaming people, scorch was really, really stupid about the whole thing that happened to him recently. I mean, it was pretty clearly outlined why that board was there, AND he asked for it to be there in the first place. And, it was obviously kindof a joke, I thought it was pretty funny anyway, but scorch seemed terribly upset about it. I do have a point with this, it'll just take me a minute :P

So, I posted and tried to say "Scorch, dont take this shit seriously. This is the internet, it's just a joke, there IS life outside of DMZX and Z2" and ofcourse, I was immediatly ignored. And this is my point, there is life outside of the internet, and outside of Z2 and DMZX. If someone says something to you online that you dont like, so what? It's the internet, there are other communities, other websites, other forums, other chatrooms, and yes, there are infact people who dont spend their entire lives on the internet.

I feel like this message is almost completely lost on people. These are just forums for christ sake, and most of us on these forums dont even know each other well. I think it's really kindof stupid to take things so seriously. For instance, a long time ago, I went into #wtp (Not sure if it's still around, but at the time it was on Espernet), and I made the mistake of asking why everyone was typing in all caps. And I got kicked, and my quote was added to the title, but I really dont think much of it. Firstly, I kinda deserved it, secondly, it was funny, and third, this is the internet, I dont take it that seriously.

In terms of this whole Z2 vs. DMZX thing, I really think that it's largely overblown. I've seen people on both sides of this debate say and act really stupidly, but I honestly think a large portion of both communities are actually really cool people. But ofcourse, it really depends on the person.

If you count the community as CJA and Guy, you're going to have a completely different perspective than say, Terryn and burstroc. I think the same is generally true of the ZZT community. So, my real point is...

I think people should just calm down. Ofcourse, I realize some people hate some other people and so on and so on, but it's not the end of the world. So someone pisses you off, so what, it's just a forum. Albiet, I have many friends on DMZX who I'd speak quite highly of, but I dont really believe like, "Ooh, those ZZT people are awful" or "Oh, those DMZX people they're awful" or whatever. I really think people need to just calm the fuck down.

Anyway, that's just my feelings, feel free to disagree with pretty much everything I've said.
~Bryan Strait (Elig)

<Lancy> Hey, Elig. Any GUI progress ?
<Mooseka> YES LANCER TALK DIRTY TO ME

<GMCBay> When creating a game, the first thing I do is design the box cover for the special edition collectors DVD. The second thing I do is begin thinking about what will be in the sequel.

<Koji> SOYLENT MILK IS COWS!! D:
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Yeah, people should really take things less seriously.

Also, Nadir and DMZX star in a B movie with cheesy acting but probably pretty good music.
Spectere
wants to have your babies.

Post by Spectere »

Holy crap, Elig, long post. Rings true for a lot of points, too.

I don't really think very many people from either front are taking things 100% seriously (at least, I really hope not). I'm not, for one...there's enough crap in the Real World to stress out about, let alone the Interweb World.
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

It's not so much about taking the internet less seriously, it's about taking ZZTers less seriously, because honestly a lot of us are pretty mean. At the same time, though, if an MZXer is going to post some poetry (just as an example) you shouldn't be surprised that some people here are going to come by and laugh at it, because that's what jerks do. It's not very complicated and it's certainly not worth having discussions over (like the gigantic one in #zeux earlier today).
fungahhh
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

talking in all caps was cool ... but now it's totally lame. now you never use caps, but always the ellipsis ...

i don't really know anything about what's been going on over there at the DMZX, but I think we can all just agree that scorch is a dumbass! and he sucks!
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

we went from all caps to no caps or punctuation
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Elig
newcomer

Post by Elig »

Fungahhh wrote:It's not so much about taking the internet less seriously, it's about taking ZZTers less seriously, because honestly a lot of us are pretty mean. At the same time, though, if an MZXer is going to post some poetry (just as an example) you shouldn't be surprised that some people here are going to come by and laugh at it, because that's what jerks do. It's not very complicated and it's certainly not worth having discussions over (like the gigantic one in #zeux earlier today).
I think that's an overly simplistic view of it really. My main point was just, so what if someone hates your poetry (Using your example), it doesnt really matter. And in terms of people laughing at poetry, or at people on DMZX, I think that's also a matter of taking things a bit too seriously. But meh, you're right, it doesnt really deserve any discussion, really.
~Bryan Strait (Elig)

<Lancy> Hey, Elig. Any GUI progress ?
<Mooseka> YES LANCER TALK DIRTY TO ME

<GMCBay> When creating a game, the first thing I do is design the box cover for the special edition collectors DVD. The second thing I do is begin thinking about what will be in the sequel.

<Koji> SOYLENT MILK IS COWS!! D:
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

Elig wrote:
Fungahhh wrote:It's not so much about taking the internet less seriously, it's about taking ZZTers less seriously, because honestly a lot of us are pretty mean. At the same time, though, if an MZXer is going to post some poetry (just as an example) you shouldn't be surprised that some people here are going to come by and laugh at it, because that's what jerks do. It's not very complicated and it's certainly not worth having discussions over (like the gigantic one in #zeux earlier today).
I think that's an overly simplistic view of it really. My main point was just, so what if someone hates your poetry (Using your example), it doesnt really matter. And in terms of people laughing at poetry, or at people on DMZX, I think that's also a matter of taking things a bit too seriously. But meh, you're right, it doesnt really deserve any discussion, really.
I wasn't responding to you, really, just the "community politics" thing as a whole. I mean, if a ZZTer makes fun of you, what the hell is it going to solve by sitting around complaining and trying to deconstruct their reasons for it? Who cares!
fungahhh
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

hey hey hey hey hey, i don't agree! the punctuation situation hasn't really changed; a lot of punctuation is used, but rarely the period. that's what i do, at least ...

I USED A SEMI-COLON :3
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

in other news, scorch's reaction to this has inspired me to rerelease chickenwire AGAIN

but i want to include madtom's "snowflake overture" in the jukebox this time. can some hoarder (ie. dr dos) send me a copy of frost 2? thanks!

please send it to napalmlachatte@gmail.com <:)

(x-posted 2 mzx and project forums)
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

also fungahhh can you send me a log of that? i don't care if it's boring, i like to keep tabs on the community drama i cause, so i can laugh while pleasuring myself to it
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

Can you send the log this way too? I'm curious to see what's going on as well, since I'm not allowed there anymore (because i'm a horrible person by wildweasel's standards).
craycpanda
god not again i hate you

Post by craycpanda »

hyde you are a horrible person by my standards as well

does that make you feel better?
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

http://hoorj.ath.cx/logs/boo%20to%20zzters.txt

I like how Exo thinks that ZZTers spend "so much energy" trying to make fun of him and other MZXers. He really doesn't understand how ZZTers work at all. :(
fungahhh
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

cracpanda, a little, yes :prezbw:

And I'll read through that log whenever, Fungahhh.

Okay I read it and I laughed. I also like how JohnK says things about me like "lmao pancake, whos he to talk" when he always acts like an annoying little idiot.

And I guess I should hang around IRC channels like #rawr or #idiots-club or whatever more to keep up with the times...