OOP

Heh.

Moderators: Terryn, Dr. Dos

Hayabusa
The destructor

OOP

Post by Hayabusa »

Is Megazuex's Programming language dramatically different from ZZT- I know it seems like a retarded question but I haven't looked into it and am wondering if I'll have to learn new commands.
Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror - Hazuki Dojo
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

You'll have to learn quite a few. Robotic is in the same format as ZZT-OOP, but it has more complicated things such as arithmetic (well, more so than ZZT-OOP) and other things. You can do a lot more with Robotic than you can with ZZT-OOP, though. Although it's not as easy to learn.
Hayabusa
The destructor

Post by Hayabusa »

I guess this would be a better question- Would zzt-oop work in MZX?

@badguy
#cycle 1
:loop
#go seek
#shoot seek
#loop
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

No, I don't think it would. They use different symbols for the beginning of the commands, and you would have to use "wait" instead of "cycle". I think.
Hayabusa
The destructor

Post by Hayabusa »

Ah ok Thanks man- I guess I'll just be reading the tutorials then...
Alexis Janson
wacky morning DJ

Post by Alexis Janson »

Plenty of ZZT commands _do_ work in MZX though, so long as you don't use the # in front of the command name. A couple differences to note, though:

1. Movement commands require a number or counter after them. For example, "go seek 5" is used instead of "#go seek".
2. There isn't really an equivilant for @, since in MZX the name of the robot is entered outside of the usual command window.
3. While the usual /i idle commands still work, it's probably a better idea to use "wait #", which will idle for the number of cycles you enter. It's a lot neater than having a line full of /i's.
4. Counters are used instead of flags. When you want to set something, you'd use "set counter to #" instead of "#set flag". This way, a single counter can be modified to change a value instead of having to make up different flags to represent different values of the same thing. If statements are slightly different to reflect this as well; "if counter = 5 then label" is used as opposed to "#if flag then label".
5. Using #label as a shorthand for #goto label doesn't work in MZX. You have to use simply "goto label".
6. To display a message, use either * or [ in front instead of simply just typing it. * before a message means that MZX will try to make the message flash at the bottom of the screen, and [ is used to make a dialogue box open up. There are a couple other ones that are used too but I'm tired and can't remember them all right now. :(

That should cover most of the simple differences. If you already know ZZT, MZX isn't too much more difficult to learn.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i probably should try learning robotic myself

i know some basic commands but so far i've just been scribbling in it since the port came out

fungahhh knows what i'm talkin' about
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast