someone help

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

What can be said now?

someone help

Post by 332 »

Im makin a game that involves objects becoming passages, is there any way to specify the board the passage goes to?
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

No. The closest you can get is having a previously concealed passage be revealed with a "#change passage (colour) passage" command, or use a duplicator to transport a player clone into a passage when activated.
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
What can be said now?

Post by 458 »

This brings up another question I have always wondered about- if you place something that has no parameters on something that does, are the parameters lost? for example, I have a passage. I #put a gem on top of it. then I #put a passage on a gem. does the passage work as it did before, or were the parameters erased when I placed the gem down.

Even if the parameters aren't kept, if it DID work, just think of the possibilities... you could overcome board limits by temporarily changing objects you didn't need until later.. it makes me all tingly. Maybe future ZZT clones should do this?
What can be said now?

Post by 518 »

As far as I know, that doesn't work either. Passages, duplicators, and other object-like zzt premades lose their stats when turned into something else. The only real change that is possible is one of color, like Nadir said, and have an invisible passage become a passage.

If you really want to get complex, you could have an 'illusion', like in the zzt encyclopedia, and have the illusion board show an object, but have the actual board show a passage.

Perhaps it is possible to turn an object into a void, or stat-empty and back again, but I doubt it would work.

If you could specify what your game involves, Maestro, perhaps we could find an alternate solution.
Ryan Ferneau
LOOK OUT FER BAAAD BOB

Post by Ryan Ferneau »

Okay, anyone remember that game "Death Destruction, War, Bloodshed, Terror..."? I believe it made passages that automatically linked to the title screen (since that's the only kind of passage you can make in-game), and the passages were contained in little hallways that led to other passages that linked back to the game. I guess it would get tiring to see that in many more games, but still...
What can be said now?

Post by 518 »

Indeed, but it fit in pretty well in the actual title screen. You could have one "hallway" on the title screen and make it an invisible passage, but that leaves all KINDS of complications.