Working on a new HTML5 GCS

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

wcgcs
newcomer

Re: Working on a new HTML5 GCS

Post by wcgcs »

However, the load of each board over HTTP is still a dealbreaker. That adds up to a lot of waiting time just to go from board A to board B, let alone play through a full game.
Ok, I turned the cloud flag off by default and implemented a caching system. Let me know if http://town.webchars.com pages load quicker for you. Also, please clear your cache to reload the JS library.
Appetite4
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by Appetite4 »

MUCH better! The boards still don't load right away, but it takes about that much time for the transition anyway, so it works.

I guess I didn't understand why the "cloud" flag had to be on to begin with, since a world should have been self-contained in its own file originally.

Also, there is still the empty-room-slowing-to-a-crawl problem. Note that despite the screenshot, Bank On It ran a lot slower than 9 FPS! Something to do with all the pushables?
Attachments
Town - Bank on It - 9 FPS
Town - Bank on It - 9 FPS
wcgcs
newcomer

Post by wcgcs »

Appetite4 wrote:MUCH better! The boards still don't load right away, but it takes about that much time for the transition anyway, so it works.

I guess I didn't understand why the "cloud" flag had to be on to begin with, since a world should have been self-contained in its own file originally.

Also, there is still the empty-room-slowing-to-a-crawl problem. Note that despite the screenshot, Bank On It ran a lot slower than 9 FPS! Something to do with all the pushables?
The cloud flag is so the browser doesn't have to store anything. You can pick up where you left off on any device. Also most implementations of HTML5 local storage are limited to 5MB. With cloud storage it's theoretically infinite. But I realize now I don't have the necessary bandwidth for it so it makes sense to leave the flag off for now.

Yes, just looking at the screenshot that's alot of active objects. Anything drawn to the Active Object layer gets drawn per frame. The Background and Overlay layers get drawn only when something changes.
wcgcs
newcomer

Post by wcgcs »

Appetite4 wrote: Also, there is still the empty-room-slowing-to-a-crawl problem. Note that despite the screenshot, Bank On It ran a lot slower than 9 FPS! Something to do with all the pushables?
Made a few optimizations regarding objects and the active object layer and this should be now resolved.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Maybe you probably already know, but zzt treats boulders as as terrain, not as instances of objects.

I gotta believe it wouldn't take that much bandwidth to keep server-side storage an option, i mean how much data does each board really take? Is it reading and decoding the RLE that zzt uses for its board format and making that into html on the fly?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
wcgcs
newcomer

Post by wcgcs »

Commodore wrote:Maybe you probably already know, but zzt treats boulders as as terrain, not as instances of objects.

I gotta believe it wouldn't take that much bandwidth to keep server-side storage an option, i mean how much data does each board really take? Is it reading and decoding the RLE that zzt uses for its board format and making that into html on the fly?
Yes I realize that, however I consider it an active object since it changes position and can have a background tile under it. Also it is my goal to make all objects scripted with CharCode rather than hard coded.

Another option for cloud storage can be to keep the session in local storage and when the user saves or restores it simply sends or downloads all the session data. I realize now that is probably the way to go since changing boards is a lot more frequent and needs to be more responsive than saving or restoring.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

wcgcs wrote:Yes I realize that, however I consider it an active object since it changes position and can have a background tile under it. Also it is my goal to make all objects scripted with CharCode rather than hard coded.
Perhaps a niggling point, but in ZZT there is no undertile for a boulder, and some games depend on its ability to destroy what it is pushed over.

I appreciate that you're not making a clone, per say, but "hard-coded terrain" could be defined rather like an object based on what the user wants. A ZZT game would have a definition for an ammo, torches, boulders, gems, etc as terrain, while other can have their own definitions. Global objects if you will.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
wcgcs
newcomer

Post by wcgcs »

Updates:

Redesigned windowing system for greater speed and better mobile support.
Created Android launcher http://webchars.com/wc.apk, iOS coming soon...
Started working on lite version of editor designed for mobile.
Started designing lite version of FTP for saving projects to CharCloud.
Removed unnecessary virtual keyboard to allow for devices own [virtual] keyboard.
wcgcs
newcomer

Post by wcgcs »

Mobile editor is now finished.
It's nearly as capable as the desktop editor minus the debugger.
CharCloud can now be managed from a phone or tablet.
CharCode Documentation can be viewed in mobile editor or by going to http://webchars.com/help

and finally mobile friendly object editor now has handy touch menu.
Attachments
Documentation reference.
Documentation reference.
Managing your project with mobile interface.
Managing your project with mobile interface.
Modifying object with mobile interface.
Modifying object with mobile interface.
wcgcs
newcomer

Post by wcgcs »

WebChars GCS now has a community site:

http://videogame.build
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Very nice site. Very cool to see screenshots of the games. The sidebar is fine on the news page, but I think it's unnecessary when browsing games. The pallet/paintbrush logo is appropriate somehow, but lacks a sense that I am on a game website.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by bitbot »

DUHS TEH lANGUAGe C0MPAT1BL3 w ROB0T1C ?

v
Image Image
wcgcs
newcomer

Post by wcgcs »

#take gems 10 getajobbum
wcgcs
newcomer

Nutrition & Fitness Platform

Post by wcgcs »

Hey All,

I've been away from the ZZT scene creating a product similar to MFP. Check it out @ http://bite4bite.com.

It allows anyone to create their own plan using a rules engine rather than just calorie counting. There is also an Android & iPhone(coming soon) version that tracks activity throughout the day.

It's completely free, check it out and let me know what you'll think.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Re: Nutrition & Fitness Platform

Post by Smilymzx »

wcgcs wrote:Unrelated Spam
''This is Illegal, Y'know''

- Mayor Kravindish (Zelda CD-I)