JZT

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Jotz
rank bank jotz

JZT

Post by Jotz »

http://jzt.xyz/

Javascript zzt clone. Found this on the zzt subreddit. Interested to see how the editor turns out.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Re: JZT

Post by Saxxon »

This is pretty cool.
Mark
newcomer

Post by Mark »

Hey all,

My name's Mark, and I'm the guy who's working on JZT. I found this forum from my site's referrer logs, and think it's fantastic that there are other people out there who remember ZZT. If you've got any questions or suggestions about JZT, I'd love to hear them!
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Hey this is shaping up really nice! The world you have designed has a great classic feel to it. Very neatly organized.

I'd like to see page-up/page-down work for the scrolling messages, maybe a bit more speed when scrolling the message with just the cursor keys too. Not sure if this is a computer performance problem on my end though, cause I notice a different player movement speed on boards that scroll vs boards that don't.

Minor quibble, again about speed, but I'd like to see the color cycling of the one line messages be a little faster, it'll look a little more like glowing.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by bitbot »

Hey Mark, I commend your hard work! JZT is pretty neat for a ZZT derivative. I'm afraid however, the effort may be in vain. You either have to do something really innovative or keep the format as pure as possible. IMHO, JsDosbox is a more viable solution.
Image Image
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Two things (Optional): Fonts, and Palettes...

Also if there is support for blinking: A flag to disable blinking colors, using Intense (Bright) background colors in game!
Mark
newcomer

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Whether positive or negative, I can tell they are from true ZZT fans.

I can absolutely add or fix a lot of these. And, by all means, keep 'em coming!
Appetite4

Re: JZT Sound issues

Post by Appetite4 »

Interesting "take" on ZZT. It's a decent idea, having it be Java-based.

I ran it from the latest Firefox, and the sound seemed decent until a few minutes in. Then, the sound got slow with a garbled "staccato" effect. Any ideas why that would happen?

Also: does saving work? JZT didn't seem to remember my saves after I left the page and came back.
Mark
newcomer

Post by Mark »

Hey there. Yeah, the sound in Firefox isn't as smooth as in WebKit browsers. During development of JZT, I discovered a minor bug in Firefox's implementation of the Web Audio API related to the timing of oscillator events. I worked around it as best I could by adding a programmatic delay, but it causes some "wonkiness" that will have to be fixed by our friends at Mozilla. I logged a bug report, and someone was assigned to it the last time I checked, so hopefully it will get fixed soon. In the meantime, I recommend WebKit-based browsers (such as Chrome and Safari) for the best sound performance.

Saving, however, should work without issues in all browsers. Note that it works by saving your game in local storage, so you have to play using the same browser on the same computer for your saved game to show up. (Eventually, I'd like to have an option to save to some form of cloud storage, but for now it's a start.)

By the way, your avatar says you're a programmer. If you're a JavaScript fan, you might be happy to know that I plan on open-souring JZT once I'm done playing with it myself.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Can you also support partial support of .BRD files? (ZZT and SuperZZT)

Also, About the TEXT element, I see you added text with the dark white background, Does this mean we can use any foreground and background color our heart desires (all 0-15 colors usable), or do we see only the background (depends on element type)
Mark
newcomer

Post by Mark »

Yes, you can choose your own background/foreground colour combinations for a lot of the tile types, including walls, objects, etc.

I'm not planning to support the .BRD format directly, but a converter wouldn't be difficult. The world format is just JSON that's been compressed with either LZW (for local storage) or GZIP (for http transfer), so it's pretty easy to work with and verify.
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

it can eb such a teliot dlorw sometimes. keep up the good work. Let's get out there and save Sweeney!
▒░Vivois▒▓█
-i like elk
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

WiL TEH EDITOR SUPPORT SUPERZZZT FORMAT ?

Image Image
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I was just playing this the other day, got as far as the fourth key, then ran into an ammo problem. Should have shelled out the money for shells. No new blog post yet, but I was curious if there was news on the facebook page, and lo and behold, and editor has just been released: http://jzt.xyz/editor/ Seems not to have documentation yet, and also does not support the szzt format. Fiddling with trying to code things I noticed it syntax highlighted, but did not like # prepending commands and did not respond to the :touch message.

If the Town of JZT was actually included that would be very useful to pick around.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*