Lyon

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Re: Lyon

Post by Quantum P. »

Another vote for VGAROM. I like the slash through the zero, and how the capital O has the same shape as the theta (centipede body vs. head).

Slightly unrelated note: do you suppose all those guys in the Netherlands were using CP850?
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

It's about character size too, aren't the vga ones taller? Also being a VGA font I'm guessing it's not as original, zzt being an EGA game, but I'm certainly more familiar with it.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Character sets are available at many different heights. 8x8 is often used for Mode 13 (the common 320x200 256-color mode). The standard font size is 8x16 for text mode. The 8x14 comes from enabling an EGA graphics mode. The charset I picked up was probably called VGAROM because that's the source of it. But a VGA adapter would need to store character sets for EGA and CGA anyway.

Graphics hardware manufacturers often had slight differences in the character sets used. I don't have much information on which manufacturer used what, or for what region. I found these character sets on an old FTP (they weren't particularly easy to find). Lots of different code pages.

Thanks for the feedback. Will be using VGAFONT then. I might make it so that you can change the default character set.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

There looks like no release is going to make it.

I think I heard that Saxxon is having Hard Drive troubles!
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

that's what she said?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Commodore wrote:that's what she said?
According to Twitter, But I think it is not true unless she says it right here, In seriousness, The next version is taking quite a while!

Any status on the project here, Saxxon? *Assuming it's dead*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Got caught up in recoding some parts. I picked up a book on Managed DirectX which I can use with Visual Basic. Going to code graphics and sound in DirectX. Sound's already using it and graphics should be easy, I just create a surface and plaster the rendered bitmap on it.

In all honesty I took a month break to code something for the Beatmania simulator community :) That's finished, they got their arcade data, and I am back working on this.

Still don't understand why that Mission:Enigma bug happens. I don't feel like rewriting the entire thing a fourth time. It just HAS to be out of bounds memory access.

I don't want to give up but it's kind of frustrating. If I don't find out by next month I will just put it out. Maybe someone will be able to help me.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Also, looking at the recent messages how'd you come to the conclusion that I am a woman? :\
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Ok, here's a snapshot of what I have now. It has a built-in editor. Koopo bug was disabled until its implementation is done. It doesn't have an app icon or sound. It requires DirectX 9 and .NET 2.0 framework (which most computers should have - my work computer does also)
Attachments
Lyon-preview.zip
Lyon, built 2011-12-23
(84.22 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

It would be awful implementation but I know the allocated memory layout that ZZT uses and I could just emulate one solid block of memory. That would reproduce bugs when array index is out of bounds and crosses over into other memory (which can happen pretty easily in ZZT)
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

On my parents computer at home for christmas, no .net so can't test yet.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Implemented a better timing scheme. Reading up on Managed DirectX to fully add DirectDraw and DirectSound in a way that's convenient.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Added drag and drop. Hold CTRL while dragging to open in editor instead of game mode.

Plus, I found a bug in the save game feature, it didn't save on the correct board. Fixed.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Playing through FOREST, I discovered Spiders weren't set to Destructible. Oops. Webs don't stick yet, and I haven't figured out how they work in the original engine. I know how they work from an observational standpoint but I don't want to trust anything but the code if I can help it.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Roughing out some of the edges in the editor. I think ZAP was a step in the right direction but there are a few things I'd like to change. In its current state, it acts more like a debugging tool than an editor.