Lyon

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Re: Lyon

Post by Saxxon »

I am splitting up responsibilities of the different parts of Roton. This is somewhat of a large scale code factor in order to prepare for future changes. I am trying to decouple data from code- this should make it so changes in one part of the system don't affect others in such a severe manner.

What's the ultimate goal? Perhaps support of other ASCII games in the future..
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3292

kroz source code ;)
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Commodore wrote:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3292

kroz source code ;)
And the format: Plain Text boards (in the EXE), 64x25 (much better than ZZT's 60x25)

Elements are very different BTW. Implent all elements when it's planned to be done.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Commodore wrote:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3292

kroz source code ;)
Totally read my mind.

I know Kroz is very sensitive to speed, so I'll have to play around and see what's appropriate.

Of course, I will be finishing up any and all ZZT support before I start with that :)
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by bitbot »

Don't forget Thor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-gYV15WZ4

Question for you...
Is there a way an object can detect what platform is running?
Perhaps Lyon does something unique to ZZT that can be manipulated in order to display: To select an item, press I.

Otherwise it resorts to: To select an item, enter ? +I.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

bitbot wrote:Don't forget Thor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-gYV15WZ4

Question for you...
Is there a way an object can detect what platform is running?
Perhaps Lyon does something unique to ZZT that can be manipulated in order to display: To select an item, press I.

Otherwise it resorts to: To select an item, enter ? +I.
Roton is unable to detect what is running the game, but this is unnecessary, and here's why:

There is an interface called Input in Roton. You would create a class that handles user input, and then give its reference to Roton, so it could check the status. All the input passes through your own program first. Roton does support setting and clearing flags externally, so all you'd need to do is catch the key press on your own program and tell Roton to set/clear the flag.

This makes it very easy to implement cheats any way I want in Lyon.

If you're talking about automatically replacing ?+ in text in the game world... I think it would be too difficult to implement a heuristic to determine when to do this. My solution was to allow "cheat" buttons which manipulate flags. Currently, Lyon is hard-coded to accept "I" for "?+I"/"?-I" but I will add a user interface for this later.
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

Sounds good to me.
Image Image
Smilymzx

Post by Smilymzx »

About Thor:

There is not a way to tell the game level's size and length alone. so whatever it is, it is determined via the Executable.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

weird bug in ZEOL-10.zzt, when on the misc objects 2 board you get the annoying man to follow you and then try to go down through the black hole corridor.
Attachments
error.png
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Commodore wrote:weird bug in ZEOL-10.zzt, when on the misc objects 2 board you get the annoying man to follow you and then try to go down through the black hole corridor.
Whoa, that is one heck of a find. Will investigate.

Edit: You even get a weird message when you do this in ZZT. But it's not a whole scroll, it's actually just that first line. I think it might be related to the fact that Roton does not consider a null as the end of a code block. I'm sure with a slight adjustment I could make this work perfectly.

The reason you see right through the scroll is that, due to the way I wrote the graphics overlay code, a character of 0x00 means transparent. As part of the refactor I mentioned earlier, this won't be an issue soon.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Parts of Roton are beginning a code conversion to C#. It won't be difficult as only the syntax changes (it is still a .NET language) but this is the next stepping stone to Java, which is a distant objective.

Additionally, preparations are being made to host this project on a site such as SourceForge or Google Code. Would it be possible for someone to assist me with this part?
Smilymzx

Post by Smilymzx »

Saxxon wrote:Parts of Roton are beginning a code conversion to C#. It won't be difficult as only the syntax changes (it is still a .NET language) but this is the next stepping stone to Java, which is a distant objective.

Additionally, preparations are being made to host this project on a site such as SourceForge or Google Code. Would it be possible for someone to assist me with this part?
Google code is better than Sourceforge, I think the project page is already set up by you earlier:

http://code.google.com/p/roton/

As for the port: What is wrong with C or C++? The problem with C# is that it is not that portable, and Portability is really a very good thing.

As for Java: Please avoid using Java. It is too big for me to develop on, JDK Requires a lot of space on my end. Plus it is not a very good language for me either!
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Smilymzx wrote:
Saxxon wrote:Parts of Roton are beginning a code conversion to C#. It won't be difficult as only the syntax changes (it is still a .NET language) but this is the next stepping stone to Java, which is a distant objective.

Google code is better than Sourceforge, I think the project page is already set up by you earlier:

http://code.google.com/p/roton/

As for the port: What is wrong with C or C++? The problem with C# is that it is not that portable, and Portability is really a very good thing.

As for Java: Please avoid using Java. It is too big for me to develop on, JDK Requires a lot of space on my end. Plus it is not a very good language for me either!
I wasn't able to get code to push to Google Code for some reason. I'm probably doing it wrong. I tried about 4 different guides out there and none of them seemed to work for me. Kinda figured there was some fundamental mistake I'm making, but I followed the steps exactly.

There is nothing wrong with C or C++.
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

Any luck? So does this mean you won't be posting updates here anymore? :(
Smilymzx

Post by Smilymzx »

bitbot wrote:Any luck? So does this mean you won't be posting updates here anymore? :(
Saxxon is still posting, Just less because of rebuilding in another language, Hopefully he takes my advice and port it to C or C++, Otherwise it will not be as wise.

(He was thinking of C#, A primarily Windows/Mac(Mono) only language. other than that, the portability is nonexistant)