I almost thought this great site was never coming back up, but fortunately, I've been wrong! Great to see the site is back alive :)
Alright so now I have to rewrite my post. I hope I can rewrite it, so let's try...DirectZZT
is a remake
of ZZT. I've put that in bold because it's no
pure clone. It actually comes with its own unique ideas, so it doesn't fully qualify as a clone. The ZZT-interoperability-stuff is cloned, but the rest not ;)
Anyways, the important stuff now.
Some points have "partially
" written behind them, meaning that they aren't quite finished, owing to its Pre-Alpha stage (you may help me out on those to get them done faster).
Some points have "upcoming
" written behind them, meaning that they are planned and will be introduced later (you may help me with those as well).
- Written in C# and using XNA (may be ported to other technology like OpenGL later)
- Imports .zzt Files (partially
- No SuperZZT support (maybe it comes some day; you may contribute to this)
- Interprets ZZT-oop (partially
- Comes with own, more powerful Powerscript
scripting language, fixing many shortcomings of ZZT-oop (partially
). Powerscript will also be enhancable, meaning that it will accept extensions so it is unlimited in its feature set.
- Networking mechanisms: play your worlds (either ZZT or DirectZZT ones) over the wire for up to 16 players (partially
) in different game modes (survival, coop, ...) (upcoming
- Modernized graphical style, using textures instead of a charset (partially
- Each world may come with its own texture set, sounds etc. (partially
- More board objects (partially
- Less limitations
The game is currently under development by me. I can not stress this out enough: I'm very happy about anyone contributing anything to this game, if someone likes. This is no one-man show. So if you'd like to help me out (even just a tiny bit), that's helping me more than you can imagine. Thanks :)
Either way, here is the link to the source:http://code.google.com/p/directzzt/
There are currently no
downloads available, so you have to compile it your own to play it.
You need Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 C# Express
for coding, and Git
for version control to get the source.
Thanks for you reading this. I always liked ZZT and I think I can contribute something to keep this game alive :)