Problem with ZZTAE

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

Problem with ZZTAE

Post by Scribbit »

I decided to try ZZTAE so I could compare it to KevEdit, and one of the first things that happened was that every third time or so I moved the cursor, it would plop down a tile of whatever type was selected. I like how it runs in fullscreen better than KevEdit, but cleaning up those dropped tiles is annoying. Is there something I did wrong? Or has ZZTAE always been this buggy, and I should just use KevEdit?

EDIT: Okay, I tried it in DosBox and the bug went away, but now it doesn't fullscreen as well. What's going on?
I'm nupanick.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

I think ZZTAE had a thing about numlock being on or off that screwed with it.

I used to be a pretty big fan of it, but kev-edit's copy and paste feature was what made me shift.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Scribbit

Ahh.

Post by Scribbit »

Yeah, that would do it. I like kevedit for copy/paste too, but it sometimes annoys me how it never fullscreens properly to give me a preview of the layout, or how blinking stuff just shows up as lighter colors. ZZTAE is the ZZT editor with some usability, KevEdit is a full-fledged editor. I also like being able to mess with an object's stats, it's having control like that that make me pick one thing over another. Also, I don't know how I'd have made that portal update without it, seeing as how to center the level I would otherwise have had to copy tiles one at a time(which is what I did until I remembered copy/paste).

Just one more question, then: how can I make my own object library in KevEdit or ZZTAE?
I'm nupanick.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

'O' has some options for making and using libraries in kev-edit. I actually think it and ZZTAE use the same format for the which is nice.
Visit the Museum of ZZT

Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

You know, I tried ZZTAE, and found that either it was buggy or I was just stupid and couldn't figure out how to make it work or something, but iether way, I couldn't get it to work. Then I tried KevEdit and it worked, which was the main reason I choose KevEdit over ZZTAE these days. Fortunately, KevEdit's features and interface and such are nicer as well, so it's good that I can actually use the good one.
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

a lot of credit is due to both editors for keeping zzt active for so long.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Scribbit

That's quite a concept!

Post by Scribbit »

Hey... What if there was a ZZT editor that ran well in windows, with mouse support, but also had a nice, even layout that looked like ZZT? A ZZT emulator in Windows? Or on a Mac? Or even just a Dos editor that can be windowed without distortion? ZZT could get back in there with a "So old it's retro" approach!
I'm nupanick.
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

i still use built in editor

i can't get on top of kevedit
gingermuffins

Re: That's quite a concept!

Post by gingermuffins »

Nupanick wrote:Hey... What if there was a ZZT editor that ran well in windows, with mouse support, but also had a nice, even layout that looked like ZZT? A ZZT emulator in Windows? Or on a Mac? Or even just a Dos editor that can be windowed without distortion? ZZT could get back in there with a "So old it's retro" approach!
Saxxonpike showed up one day and made an editor for Windows with mouse support. It also edits SuperZZT games and supports fonts.

It's kind of unweildly but there are some niche uses for it. He never got around to uploading ... you can find it here. instructions are scattered throughout the thread.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i had kind of a hate-on for kevedit for the longest time because it screwed up a remake of chickenwire i was making in like 2001, and i had no idea why

apparently it was because of a bug in one of the earlier versions that meant the file got corrupted if you type on the rightmost side of the screen, which has long since been fixed

i still don't love it or anything, but the copy/paste function is nice
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

i find the many ways to make a selection for copying impressive. but an invert selection command would be nice. maybe lasso select, too.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Visit the Museum of ZZT