DreamZZT 3.0.8 and DreamZZT-lite

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

c99koder
Ordinery

DreamZZT 3.0.8 and DreamZZT-lite

Post by c99koder »

DreamZZT 3.0.8 is now available from the DreamZZT website.

Highlights of this release:

* Sound support for Dreamcast
* Support STK-colored torches, ammo, energizers
* Uses system clock for improved game timing
* Game speed and volume can be adjusted from title screen
* Integration with the Trac ticket system for in-game bug reports
* Optimized rendering to improve performance
* Mission:Enigma is now completable
* Auto-update support for Windows

For the complete list of changes, see the ChangeLog.

Also, for users with older computers: introducing DreamZZT-lite, which uses SDL instead of OpenGL to render the screen. For users without 3D acceleration, this version will be significantly faster. This version supports Windows 98 as well as 2000, XP, and Vista. You can grab DreamZZT-lite from here. Note that DreamZZT-lite is considered beta -- it was built from a newer version of the source than the standard 3.0.8 release, which means it contains several new features that are still being developed.

-Sam
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

ah neat

the variables through lua scripting sounds interesting

here's a bug i think

I don't think it's interpreting

Code: Select all

@obj
:a
i/#if not flag a
blah blah
properly. i know you're supposed to use

Code: Select all

@obj
:a
#if flag b
/i#a
:b
blah blah
because sometimes the first kind of trigger misfires, but it seems to always go off in dzzt.

here is a board (second board) where that kind of loop is used to randomize the speed of wobbling objects. they work in zzt but they don't vary in dzzt

good luck with your project!
c99koder
Ordinery

Post by c99koder »

Thanks, I'll look into that. There's still a lot of obscure ZZT-OOP that doesn't work quite right yet.

DreamZZT-lite includes the Lua interpreter, but I haven't finished writing bindings for all the functions or documenting it, so I'm not really publicizing it yet. It'll be officially supported in 3.2.

-Sam
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Command line breaks are Char 13 (return), "#" and "/". That means if you run into any one of those while processing commands (and NOT board messages) that's the end of the command line. That's why /i#if ... etc works. At least, that's how I wrote support for it when I was doing a remake.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

If this uses LUA is the a chance for a PSP port?
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
c99koder
Ordinery

Post by c99koder »

The Lua interpreter will allow you to write your game scripts in Lua in addition to ZZT-OOP, DreamZZT itself isn't written in Lua.

However, DreamZZT-lite uses SDL, which has probably been ported to the PSP, so it's technically possible. However, I don't have a PSP, so I wont be doing it. DreamZZT is open source, so anyone else is welcome to try.

-Sam
asiekierka
YAHOO: ALL YOUR GEOCITIES ARE BELONG TO US

Post by asiekierka »

GOD.
Why we can't be better than MZXers? there's a private Exophase port of MZX to PSP. We can use ZZT->MZX converter...
...but it will be better if THIS will be ported to PSP.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

the latest version of Dosbox for the PSP seems to run ZZT well.

The problem is there aren't enough buttons due to the stupid keyboard/color thing.
Visit the Museum of ZZT

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

asiekierka wrote:GOD.
Why we can't be better than MZXers? there's a private Exophase port of MZX to PSP. We can use ZZT->MZX converter...
...but it will be better if THIS will be ported to PSP.
better? the lack of zzt's source does make dream zzt seem like the only oppertunity to port to psp, but how many people play zzt and have a psp? 2?

I think I'd rather see a DS port honestly, with the touch screen editing would be tres cool.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

Seeing as it would be ungodly annoying to do anything without A KEYBOARD, then yes, that would be nice.
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
c99koder
Ordinery

Post by c99koder »

I'm looking into doing a DS port, but the DS's screens are so low resolution (256x192) that the game board will have to scroll around like SuperZZT.

-Sam
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

With the font I use, it would require 480x400 pixels. (8x16 font) And that's not including the status bar which would bring that total to 640x400.
c99koder
Ordinery

Post by c99koder »

I'll draw the status bar on the top screen. The DS can display 32 characters across, so you can see slightly more than half of the board horizontally at a time, and almost all of it vertically. It should work pretty well with SuperZZT-style scrolling, except for games that display a "story" kind of board where the player is stuck in the corner. I guess I could let you scroll the screen without moving by holding one of the triggers or something.

-Sam
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Touch the screen to center on that tile.
Visit the Museum of ZZT

c99koder
Ordinery

Post by c99koder »

Status display, scrolling, and d-pad / buttons are all in. I had to resize the text boxes so the whole thing can fit on the DS's screen, so it wraps lines that are too long. Click the picture above for more photos.

If anyone wants to try it out, you can grab the nds file here: http://webdav.c99.org/sam/dreamzzt-ds-0.1.zip

It runs a bit fast, and it stops drawing the background tiles half-way across the the board, but it's playable. There's no file browser yet, so it automatically loads town.zzt from the root of your card. I've tested it with my M3 miniSD flash cart, not sure what other flash carts are supported.

-Sam