Zap

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

you think you're on some respectable fora or something? Spamming is cool when it's about progress.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Some features were added, at least. It doesn't include the whole list of features people wanted, but it's getting there. Read the above features, then read these...

http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0012.zip

* Hold CTRL to make a selection. You can either right-click or use CTRL+X/C/V to do cut, copy and paste. You can use SHIFT+CTRL+X to do a same-board move. Be careful not to move the mouse during these operations or you will probably lose your selection. Right click while pasting to flip stuff. "Paste here" in that menu probably doesn't work but it's easier just to left-click where you want to place it.
* While making pastes, objects may not display their proper character but will copy correctly when placed.
* When you paste, the operation isn't finished; you can paste as many times as you wish. Just press ESC to leave paste mode.
* Pattern flooding is now possible. Just right-click and choose Edit Pattern to go into the flood pattern editor. Then you can use the rectangle fill and flood fill using the pattern.
* Down by coordinates, the object# you are currently highlighting will show in [brackets].
* Board/world info added to right-click menu
* All rectangle operations have been moved into an Area submenu
* Testing worlds now no longer causes the pause when using fonts/palettes - let me know if this solves the problem!
* Fixed some things while using Shift to do straight line stuff

There's probably more, who knows. It is a bit rickety in operation, but will be refined once all the good stuff's in there.
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

the flipping and mirroring is good. wish i had asked about it before i flipped a bunch of boards by hand in the last game i made
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

http://www.sanxion7.com/download/ZAP-0012b.zip

* Rearranged some things on the main window:
- Purple is the object counter which now displays only free objects available
- Green is the new Random Buffer Unit feature explained below
- Red is Board Information
- Blue is World Information
* Random Buffer Unit - a new feature that allows you to stick stuff on the front of the buffer, then use it randomly when drawing. For example, putting 3 different things in the buffer then setting RBU to 3 will, when you click and drag, randomly select one of those 3 tiles to be placed. This does not currently work with Stat objects, but that's to come sometime later.
* Click the RBU number to change it back to zero (so you can edit normally again)
* Right-clicking on the buffer will place the current selected tile (as shown in the tile-preview) into the front of the buffer.
* Added a lot of tooltips to explain what stuff does
* Fixed World Info Editor for SuperZZT, it should now change the text appropriately to accomidate for the lack of torches and the inclusion of the Z-element
* World Info Editor now resets when creating a new world, so gems/ammo/etc from the previous world wouldn't get carried over

Edit: To clarify, yes, RBU also works on all flood and fill operations as well. Here's something I did in about 3 minutes with it:

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

a screen shot function would be nice. I know I can cut and paste a print screen but...

and has someone asked for an undo command yet?

also maybe double right click could maybe put the tile into the buffer and open the edit stats window. There should also be a button or something that will let you switch from the edit stats to the edit code window and vice versa. Or they should just be the same window. The stats window is way too complicated. A slider for locking? And the arrows for adjusting the step are unnecessary in my opinion.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

They are still sliders because of a feature I've added recently - the ability to unlock the sliders and set the parameters to however you like them - even outside the bounds of ZZT. (yeah, you can set an object's "lock" parameter all the way to 255...) I felt they were too limiting. Perhaps a checkbox in place of it when the sliders are locked - standard ZZT parameters - would do just fine though.

As for undo, well... I'm still trying to decide how to implement it. Because there's so much you can do in the editor, this may be a bit complex and may be pushed down the schedule until everything else is a bit more stable.

Edit: aww, Impossible Mission is gone :( What game is that in your avatar now?
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

you have gained new respect for identifying impossible mission. avatar is now from bard's tale, graphic when in the temple.

not sure if/how tabs work in VB but that'd be a way to get the stat editor and code editor in the same dialogue box.

undo is not terribly important. we've been making zzt games without undo in the editor for a while!
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Commodore wrote:avatar is now from bard's tale, graphic when in the temple.
I had a suspicion about that, but wasn't entirely sure. Used to play that and Wasteland for hours... throw in a little Mule, Legend of Blacksilver, Legacy of the Ancients, etc...
Commodore wrote:not sure if/how tabs work in VB but that'd be a way to get the stat editor and code editor in the same dialogue box.
That is entirely feasable with a little trickery.
Commodore wrote:undo is not terribly important. we've been making zzt games without undo in the editor for a while!
Still, all this editor's features revolve around convenience; you can do all this with KevEdit :)
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

perhaps you have heard of my wasteland game :tie:

wasteland is easily one of my favourite games. currently working on starflight which is seeming pretty good right now.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

for Revision 13:

The ability to delete boards has been added (which completely removes it from the file and fixes all board edges and passages so they still work correctly) and there's also the option to optimize the world and remove all unused boards. This is done by starting at the start board, making a list of all boards that can be accessed from it, then checking those boards out. It keeps doing this until it's run out of boards to check, and removes all the rest it never saw. Make sure when you use this that the proper Start board is set! (just as in ZZT, make sure to save the world on the board you want the player to start on)

Stat editor has been modified so that anything that has only two choices (for example, bullets/stars for tigers and locked/unlocked for objects) will show as a checkbox. You can still view it as a slider to set it to any value you'd like, though, by using Unlock Sliders. Buttons have been added so you can quickly jump back and forth between Code and Stat edit.

Also useless bit of trivia, over 7k lines of code (woot?)
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Stat and code windows have been merged and are now accessible via tabs at the top of the window. I'm considering also doing this with the Board/World information. What do you think?

I'm also looking into using OpenGL for better performance, but that will put off these neat features a bit.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

what would using openGL do? is it worth the trouble? also more tabs sounds good ;)
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

OpenGL would make performance better especially on older machines. Also, it would allow you to resize the window to any size you want and maybe add stuff like zoom, etc. On a very large monitor such as mine, I think it would be possible to view almost an entire SuperZZT board in that manner. Also, I could implement cool stuff as seen in that prototype KevEdit video. (was that ever implemented?)
wil
GABZABOOLZABBA

Post by wil »

THIS

MAKES ME WANT TO COME BACK

AND SO I SHALL.

I LOVE YOU SAXXON

REALLY I DO FOREVER AND TRUTHFULLY

I don't know if anyone has mentioned

but if you put the player's (object 0 in the board listing) stats at 62,15 you can have a playerless title screen where you can still use the keyboard! I looked for weeks for a superZZT equivalent, but there was none. So, this will only work with the classic.

An option for a playerless title screen means you can fill up every single widdle block with GOODNESS
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

:whole:
My waste is my weapon.