Zap

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

c99koder
Ordinery

Post by c99koder »

If you want to support DreamZZT's additions:

The flag to enable animated water on a board is an unsigned char after the time limit in the board header.

The Lua object type is 0x60, but it's easily changable for my third suggestion:

I'm up for assigning the SuperZZT objects IDs for ZZT mode, too, so ZZT games can take advantage of them. We can start numbering them at 0x60, safely outside the ZZT and SuperZZT assigned objects.

We should probably adjust the magic number in the world header too for DreamZZT games, so as not to confuse regular ZZT with the new objects. Also then things like forests becoming floors instead of empties would know when to happen.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

if anyone could use their knowledge gained of szzt to make a stand alone zzt to szzt .brd converter that would be excellent.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Commodore wrote:if anyone could use their knowledge gained of szzt to make a stand alone zzt to szzt .brd converter that would be excellent.
I could use Kev's GLZZT/LibZZT (or Kevedit) to do it, But for right now you have to talk to either C99Koder or Saxxonpike to request it.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

c99koder wrote:If you want to support DreamZZT's additions:

The flag to enable animated water on a board is an unsigned char after the time limit in the board header.

The Lua object type is 0x60, but it's easily changable for my third suggestion:

I'm up for assigning the SuperZZT objects IDs for ZZT mode, too, so ZZT games can take advantage of them. We can start numbering them at 0x60, safely outside the ZZT and SuperZZT assigned objects.

We should probably adjust the magic number in the world header too for DreamZZT games, so as not to confuse regular ZZT with the new objects. Also then things like forests becoming floors instead of empties would know when to happen.
What's the animated water flag set to? Also, and I'm not saying your idea is bad at all... I think one of the reason ZZT clones have failed is because they were trying to change the format and ended up creating incompatibility. I'd rather not support it if the original ZZT or SuperZZT wasn't capable of also loading the world and playing it properly. The exception would be Megazeux, however they are trying to take it all a different direction. Not to mention the community following.

As for knowing when forests become floors is as simple as checking the magic number at the beginning of the data. ZZT is [FF FF]. SuperZZT is [FE FF].
Commodore wrote:if anyone could use their knowledge gained of szzt to make a stand alone zzt to szzt .brd converter that would be excellent.
I was considering perhaps adding the ability to convert an entire ZZT world to Super ZZT within ZAP. Going backwards, though, would be far too ugly to implement.
c99koder
Ordinery

Post by c99koder »

Saxxon wrote:What's the animated water flag set to?
0=no animation (the padding in this area should be set to 0 anyway if ZZT or kevedit wrote the file)
1=animation
Saxxon wrote:As for knowing when forests become floors is as simple as checking the magic number at the beginning of the data. ZZT is [FF FF]. SuperZZT is [FE FF].
Right, that's how I'm doing it already. I meant adding a third magic number for DreamZZT-specific games that have both ZZT and SuperZZT objects.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Saxxon wrote:I was considering perhaps adding the ability to convert an entire ZZT world to Super ZZT within ZAP. Going backwards, though, would be far too ugly to implement.
Truly. I never expected szzt to zzt. That's be silly and involve making new boards or something. /shudder
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

What do you think is the best way to convert a ZZT board to Super ZZT? Center the board data and add board-edges all around?

EDIT: Also...
http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0008.zip

* PLD palette support
* Font Mania BIN and COM support
* Imported fonts must be 8 pixels in width. The edit window will automatically resize to meet the font's height when loaded.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Speaking of font height: 8x14 is the standard size both in ZZT and MegaZeux, but has anyone ever made use of the larger 8x16 font?
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

i think dosbox uses 8x16. i find it's easier to read text in it because there's more spacing.
phunk
captain champion

Post by phunk »

this is great

does anyone have a link to a com font that looks more like a normal dos window? default font is annoying
we're not bad people, we're not dirty, we're not mean, we love everybody, but we do as we please
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

The font was actually captured from DosBox. It is technically the DOS default :) If you want ZZT's 8x14 default, I could probably throw that in there sometime.

Also, an update:
http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0008a.zip

* The File->Exit menu option actually works now. (I never used it, so I never knew it didn't work.)
* A new option has been added to the File menu: Test. If ZAP is located in the same folder as ZZT and SuperZZT, it will now allow you to directly hop from the editor right over to the game for easy testing. It will export to a file called "@zaptest" in the editor's folder. Once you close ZAP, the temporary worlds will be deleted.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Saxxon wrote:What do you think is the best way to convert a ZZT board to Super ZZT? Center the board data and add board-edges all around?
center is okay, but board edge implementation should be something you can toggle. I think I might prefer the board being in the upper left corner but you could also have the user specify an x,y. That would be useful for individual board conversions, but might be a pain for world transfers.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

phunk wrote:does anyone have a link to a com font that looks more like a normal dos window? default font is annoying
does this work http://zzt.org/zgames/z/zzfont.zip
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0008b.zip

Inspired by Binder's Keepers, I've changed the Stat Editor a little bit. Now you can set binds manually. Any named object can have other objects bind to it, no code required. This should help a bit with keeping boards small. (I'm sure that binder's keepers one could be made smaller yet...)
phunk
captain champion

Post by phunk »

hyde you're the man

now saxxon just has to make zap remember the last font you loaded on startup
we're not bad people, we're not dirty, we're not mean, we love everybody, but we do as we please