Zap

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

More fun features on the way. Right now, it'll eat either a 60x25 or 60x50 and convert it to your board, sticking the player in the lower-right corner just like BMP to ZZT. However instead of objects, this uses water/breakable/normal/solid. Also, BMP export actually works. 480x400 images.
Last edited by Saxxon on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

J still like to see an ability to open multiple window, but what you have so far is pretty awesome. Where's the instructions in this M'Fer?

Edit: *whistles* BMP2ZZT integrated into the editor. Yep, it's a winner.
Last edited by Ellypses on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

None yet. Although if you are comfortable with the shortcuts in the original ZZT, you should have no problem with the program. F1/F2/F3/F4 all work.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0005.zip

It won't be as impressive as the last few releases... but here's the scoop.

* TAB now works for toggling draw mode. This even works with the mouse.
* You can edit the boards using your keyboard now. If you're going to construct boards with the keyboard, you'll want to make sure your mouse cursor is off the window to prevent interference. ENTER will bring up the menu. SPACE will place a tile. And so on..
* BMP import has been added. Press T for Transfer, then I for import, then I for image. It'll take a 60x25 or a 60x50 image.
* WORLD and BOARD buttons have been added to the interface. This is so you can quickly access board and world information dialogs.
* BMP export now works (again)

EDIT: Anyone care for SuperZZT support?
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

<s>SAXXON YOUVE GONE TOO FAR!!!!!!!!!</s> just kidding that's awesome

I never touch superzzt because I really hate the normal editor. I'd try making a short game with it if you added support, though
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

SAXXON IS A ROBOT

Seriously, I don't know how you manage to crank out updates at such a rapid pace. Either you're a machine or you're insane. Or both.

SuperZZT isn't something I'd touch, but if you made the editor compatible with it, you might actually breathe life into a long-dead game.

Feature wise, in ZZT when you place a tile of some sort (normal or water or something) onto an otherwise occupied space, it deletes that space and replaces it with an empty. If you could do that, that'd be nice.
I'd like a possible fullscreen (alt-enter) mode too, if that isn't too much to ask.

Your work is appreciated.

:keen:
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Looks neat so far. It would be interesting to see an external editor for SuperZZT.

I don't know if you know, but there's some info about the SuperZZT file format on the IF page.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

That version 5 link above... found a really ugly bug. When deleting objects, the object code for every object that was placed afterwards will get all messed up.

That's been fixed. The link is the same. Re-download if you've already got it.

I've begun to create a game using ZAP exclusively. Along the way, I'll probably discover more bugs and nifty features to make it run better. Thanks for the Super ZZT file format by the way, I spent a while looking for it and haven't found it myself.

i.c-cg+dd#--a#++fg
i.c--g#+cd#g#-g#++gf
i.d#--g#++dd#f--a#++d#f
i.g-cg+ca#g#d#f
i.gcg+d#d-g+fg
i.+c-cd#dg+cgf
i.+c-d#g#+d#d-fq.a#+hc
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Saxxon wrote:EDIT: Anyone care for SuperZZT support?
Quantum P. wrote:Looks neat so far. It would be interesting to see an external editor for SuperZZT.

I don't know if you know, but there's some info about the SuperZZT file format on the IF page.
YES! PLEASE!

Seriously, the SZZT editor sucks hard.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

I hope this goes appreciated...

EDIT: This picture is old.

EDIT: This is what the editor will look like next version.

The Super ZZT support is pretty much one big-ass wrapper for ZZT. Most of the elements remain the same; some were moved like text and bullets. Overall, the functionality for editing them both is the same.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0006.zip

* Super ZZT support. The scrolling system sucks right now. I'm researching better methods than redrawing the whole screen that still comply with my ASCII engine.
* Fixed a bug when importing boards that linked to other boards using either the board edge or passages. (any passages that aren't possible are now set to "none". For passages, they will lead to the current board if they cannot be completed.)
Seventh Shade
secret sauce

Post by Seventh Shade »

When editing super zzt it needs to switch to 80 by 50 tiles on screen.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Seventh Shade wrote:When editing super zzt it needs to switch to 80 by 50 tiles on screen.
Actually, that's 96x80. And it's much too large to display on monitors much smaller than mine. That's why I decided to have it scroll. If you want to create a Super ZZT world, you must go to File -> New Super ZZT world. Either that, or load up an existing one.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Saxxon: Insert a new function that converts ZZT boards to SZZT.

Make sure that you make that function not convert sizes and replace leftover space to 2 things:

(The following 2 must be Colored DarkBlue-on-Darkblue)

1: Passages (or Board Edges) for Entrances,

and

2: Solids for Leftover Space

**Convert the following into:
  • Torch: Stone
    Bear: Bear(Looks like a Snake)
    Water: Lava/Water N,S,E,W. (Make it Optional to Convert, 2 or 5 ways)
    Fake: Fake/Floor/Empty/Web (Make it Optional to Convert, 3 ways)
    Shark: DragonPup/Prairer (Make it Optional to Convert, 2 ways)
    Ruffian: Ruffian/Roton (Make it Optional to Convert, 2 ways)
** = Currently Making Graphics and X86 ASM hacks(Applys to all of the above) for them in SZZT (SZZT v4.5, Plan to include blinking color selection and new color names) using HEXIT by Mike K. Lasson.

To try (SUPER)ZZT on HEXIT: Decompress ZZT and/or Superzzt, (UNLZEXE or UNP) Then use this program:

http://info.elf.stuba.sk/packages/pub/p ... xit157.zip

(It Comes in both Windows and Dos Versions and includes built-in, typable HEX editor and 80X86/8086 code disassembler!)

Caution: Do not use the header! (The Beginning of File) Skip until you hit ZZT's intro Text/Code! And do NOT use the header editor!

Utilities:

Link to UPAL, A Freeware (No Source, BTW.) Palette Editor/Creator (PLD) for DOS: (Note that it is NOT made by me, Used for ZZT development but is rarely used right now):

http://zzt.org/zgames/z/zpalette.zip

UPAL Sample (Lil Buddy (A.K.A: Trexboys) by WiL and others:

http://zzt.org/zgames/t/trexboy.zip

And BLINKX, (A ZZT TSR for enabling Dos's Intensity mode) in case you want to try it:

http://zzt.org/zgames/b/blinkx.ZIP

Also, Good job on making the WORLD'S FIRST SUPERZZT EDITOR!
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Smilymzx wrote:Saxxon: Insert a new function that converts ZZT boards to SZZT.

Make sure that you make that function not convert sizes and replace leftover space to 2 things:

(The following 2 must be Colored DarkBlue-on-Darkblue)

1: Passages (or Board Edges) for Entrances,

and

2: Solids for Leftover Space

**Convert the following into:
  • Torch: Stone
    Bear: Bear(Looks like a Snake)
    Water: Lava/Water N,S,E,W. (Make it Optional to Convert, 2 or 5 ways)
    Fake: Fake/Floor/Empty/Web (Make it Optional to Convert, 3 ways)
    Shark: DragonPup/Prairer (Make it Optional to Convert, 2 ways)
    Ruffian: Ruffian/Roton (Make it Optional to Convert, 2 ways)

If there's any conversion that's going to happen, I certainly suggest changing these items into something closest to the equal functioning elements.

Torches don't take up stat objects, but power stones do. So that'll be enable/disable. Bears are already converted as they use the exact same ID -- (in FACT, that is something I overlooked in the Editor, so all bears are going to look the same as for right now. Glad you caught it.) Water will probably get converted to Lava as they also share the same ID (ignore the "special" IDs I have assigned to the SuperZZT elements, those are part of the inner workings of the wrapper.) Sharks are also in the Super ZZT format, but I don't know if they walk lava... Fakes will not be changed into floors because Super ZZT already has fakes to support the conversion.

The way this engine works is, it loads a Super ZZT file and actually CONVERTS it to the ZZT format (like I said, a biiiiig wrapper - that's why you still only get 10 flags to work with at the moment). For all elements that can't be found in the original ZZT, they are assigned numbers counting down from 99 to be in compliance with my other code. In fact about the only real difference between how it handes a ZZT and Super ZZT world is the board size which affects whether or not the scrollers are used. I use specially crafted tables to convert between the differences in the ID numbers upon saving.

Unfortunately also due to the way things work in the clsZZTWorld class I wrote, once it's in Super ZZT mode or Classic ZZT mode, it can't change unless you clear the entire world. (yet.) That's so it knows what format of BRD to expect and which format to save in. There are no format identifiers in the BRD format, so a ZZT board looks practically the same as a Super ZZT board. It's too difficult to tell with the information I have.
Also, Good job on making the WORLD'S FIRST SUPERZZT EDITOR!
Thanks. :) The idea came up while reading one of the other topics. And Super ZZT had the potential to be something much more, yet it was neglected for lack of a decent editor.

Not that any of it really matters nowadays. I'd be willing to bet if this was made at least 10 years ago, it would've been much more significant.

EDIT: The bears have been fixed. If you've downloaded it before you saw this edit, make sure to download it again.