Zap

Discuss how totally awesome Bang! is here.

Moderator: Terryn

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

<3 awesome

Any chance of font support?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Ehhh... that's where it's going to get interesting. From my experience, I've only seen fonts stored in .com files which were supposed to be run before ZZT. Since not all .com files are created the same, I'd have to get a lot of documentation.

Although, if the majority of users only use one specific font utility (or two possibly), I'd see what I could do to the best of my abilities for that utility's generated fonts.
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

Saxxon wrote:Super ZZT had the potential to be something much more...
I love you.
Commodore wrote:Any chance of font support?
hey, you're right, with those spiff feature's of animated junkary on the editor, it'll be damn right help to actually see your work using a font under the editor. I believe the only two font editor that are used are fontmania and the one made with ZZTAE.

That reminds me. Back to the bmp2zzt. Will it or does it already workable with blinkx?

And have you solve the szzt scroll yet? I thought it'll be useful if you hold ctrl and use the mouse to ddrraaaaggg the board around in the window.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Jur wrote:And have you solve the szzt scroll yet? I thought it'll be useful if you hold ctrl and use the mouse to ddrraaaaggg the board around in the window.
Actually, that does work. You just can't do it with the keyboard with this release -- use the scroll bars. It'll be in the next one. Also, regarding BlinkX... I was thinking if support for this was really necessary. Do people often use BlinkX, if ever? It is a nice thought and would be an interesting implementation for the editor. However, due to how the editor's text display engine was designed, as well as actual support for it within ZZT... I'm not sure if I should take the time to add this. Fonts are a different matter because I've seen them used more often in games. But I've never heard nor read about BlinkX until just last month.
Seventh Shade
secret sauce

Post by Seventh Shade »

Actually, that's 96x80. And it's much too large to display on monitors much smaller than mine. That's why I decided to have it scroll. If you want to create a Super ZZT world, you must go to File -> New Super ZZT world. Either that, or load up an existing one.
Well, what I meant was to make the display more squarish when editing szzt so you can get a better idea of what the finished product will actually look like.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

maybe you could make a board in zzt that has all the chars on it then have the user submit a capture of that screen with the font working and rip the graphics. You'd then save the font in a new graphical format for later use.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

I can think of three reasons to include blinkx.
One, blinkx is relatively new than the font so yes, very few games uses it. Two, some games uses window mode that makes a kind of blinkx effect (and have dark yellow available instead of brown) so no app (or whatever it is) is needed or necessary. Third...

...my font doesn't work without it, and I'll be using it like a mo'fo.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Jur wrote:I can think of three reasons to include blinkx.
One, blinkx is relatively new than the font so yes, very few games uses it. Two, some games uses window mode that makes a kind of blinkx effect (and have dark yellow available instead of brown) so no app (or whatever it is) is needed or necessary. Third...

...my font doesn't work without it, and I'll be using it like a mo'fo.
Window mode... *shudder*... I'd never play ZZT windowed because of its horrible refresh rate when you aren't pressing keys. As for BlinkX-esque support within ZAP, it's possible. BMP import won't work entirely correctly with it until I can figure out how to rework the color matching code a bit to be compatible with both blink and intensity modes.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/ZAP-0007.zip

A pile of general bug fixes mainly with the editor. So much was done to clean up the editor since release 0006, however, that it warranted a new version number. In other news, Webs should now display correctly - except when there's a spider on top. Too lazy to add that in.
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

Very nice! I find it easier and faster to use than the classic ZZT editor or KevEdit, mainly due to the mouse functionality. And add the font support too.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

I got a nifty idea today. What about some form of macros/text command system? It would work very similar to ZZT's commands with a few changes as to how colors were referenced. I may do that MZX style, actually.

[macro] change all white floors to blue fakes
#CHANGE c?F FLOOR c01 FAKE

[macro] name2
code2

[macro] name3
code3

(etc)

The first macro would effectively change all floors with the foreground color F (white) regardless of background color into a dark-blue-on-black fake. And you load them just like any code library and could access them from the editor's main menu. Of course constants like BLUE would be allowed just like in the original game (that would be equivalent to c01 and c09 I think.) I'm sure someone could potentially get good use from this. What do you think?
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Saxxon wrote:I got a nifty idea today. What about some form of macros/text command system? It would work very similar to ZZT's commands with a few changes as to how colors were referenced. I may do that MZX style, actually.

[macro] name2
code2

[macro] name3
code3

(etc)

The first macro would effectively change all floors with the foreground color F (white) regardless of background color into a dark-blue-on-black fake. And you load them just like any code library and could access them from the editor's main menu. Of course constants like BLUE would be allowed just like in the original game (that would be equivalent to c01 and c09 I think.) I'm sure someone could potentially get good use from this. What do you think?
Well... It is possible 4 ways:

1) Recreate ZZT by mixing Megazeux's Latest source with DreamZZT

2) Create a new ZZT clone (Entirely diffrent than the one above) that handles this (This requires knowlage of any chosen languages. in your knowlage: Visual Basic 6.0)

3): Use DreamZZT's source code (Also diffrent from both of the above)

OR:

4): You can modify the original DOS ZZT (Source is lost, But can use IDA pro or TatraDAS), But you MUST ask Tim Sweeney (I think)

The problem with #4 is that Tim can't release his email because he is still in Epic Games as a Professional Programmer working for Money to Sell ''UNREAL'' engines to companies like SEGA and shit!

GOD Thank him if he has a lot of security programs (on Tim's computer)
c99koder
Ordinery

Post by c99koder »

You can execute ZZT-OOP statements in DreamZZT's editor if you open the debug console. Menus will pop up as you type, though, since it never occurred to me that anyone would ever try it. I'll disable the editor key commands while the console is open for future releases.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Smilymzx wrote:
Saxxon wrote:I got a nifty idea today. What about some form of macros/text command system? It would work very similar to ZZT's commands with a few changes as to how colors were referenced. I may do that MZX style, actually.

[macro] name2
code2

[macro] name3
code3

(etc)

2) Create a new ZZT clone (Entirely diffrent than the one above) that handles this (This requires knowlage of any chosen languages. in your knowlage: Visual Basic 6.0)

OR:

4): You can modify the original DOS ZZT (Source is lost, But can use IDA pro or TatraDAS), But you MUST ask Tim Sweeney (I think)

The problem with #4 is that Tim can't release his email because he is still in Epic Games as a Professional Programmer working for Money to Sell ''UNREAL'' engines to companies like SEGA and shit!

I... really don't understand what you're saying. I'm not looking to make a clone. I'm thinking about adding support for programmable macros you can use to modify the board which can save you time. Like programming a macro to fill the board with a checkerboard pattern, or change all the colored empties to one color (the editor already includes this, but in a hardcoded form). Maybe outline the board with a tile of your choice. Perhaps even cleverly create a custom gradient routine.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Saxxon wrote:
Smilymzx wrote:

[macro] name2
code2

[macro] name3
code3

(etc)

OR:

I... really don't understand what you're saying. I'm not looking to make a clone. I'm thinking about adding support for programmable macros you can use to modify the board which can save you time. Like programming a macro to fill the board with a checkerboard pattern, or change all the colored empties to one color (the editor already includes this, but in a hardcoded form). Maybe outline the board with a tile of your choice. Perhaps even cleverly create a custom gradient routine.
I apoligize for this Saxxon, I misread this time!