z2

I agree. Take me to the spicy page.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:30 am 
Official Clamp School Defender

After the successful beta (with sound!) of the HTML 5 version, I decided to focus on a few other areas. One area is the parts where the latest version is rough around the edges, such as the lack of ZIP file access and high score posting anomalies. I think I can create a limited JS handler for DEFLATE processing based on the "pako" library.

I also finally got started on a project I've wanted to do for some time, but delayed because I wasn't 100% sure how well it will work (I still don't). It's called ZZT Sound Plus. You should be able to feed waveform audio into the tool, and it will listen and pick out notes in the form of #PLAY statement strings.

If this seems kind of far-fetched, I agree. It is. But it is possible, because autotune is possible. To build it, I have to dive right into the highest of math to create and isolate peaks in a frequency distribution created from a Fourier transform. I probably lost everybody with that statement, so I'll just say this: it's complicated.

Post subject: Re: ZZT Ultra
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:49 am 
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

This sounds like a great idea for ZZT Ultra's programming progression, Can('t) wait to see what's in store in the future!!!

Happy 2018, ZZT forums!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:24 am 
Official Clamp School Defender

That extremely far-fetched idea I had, which was the tool ZZT Sound Plus, has started to bear fruit. I just recorded a 2-minute song, fed the waveform audio into the tool, and then copied the note sequence it had spat out back into the Hall of Music.

The results were...like nails on a chalkboard, but you could actually recognize the song. I knew all along I'd need to do several things to clean up the audio output, because the tool, for all its capabilities, is kind of dumb. It doesn't know the song tempo, it doesn't know how to account for percussion, and it takes every frequency cycle it "hears" in the waveform extremely literally, erring on the side of more noise than you'd normally want.

Seriously, folks. This is a game changer. People had told me it's remarkable that I've been able to cover songs entirely by ear (no tabs, no sheet music), but with ZZT Sound Plus, a cover artist won't even need to have that ability!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17