tron

..................WTF?! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IS "XRUMER"?!

Moderator: Quantum P.

Commodore
fgsdfs

tron

Post by Commodore »

Saw the new tron movie. First time I've seen a 3D movie. Depth of field is really weird in 3D. You almost expect everything to be in focus and it's weird when they switch from narrow to no depth of field. Being a tireless fan of the original I've got some things to say :P

-Follows original movie plot too closely (gladiatorial combat -> escape -> find a wise man -> take solar sailor to a giant column of light)

-Setting looks more like a futuristic city than a digital world. Too much steel, and glass, althogher too physical a reality. A "homeless program" is holding a plastic water bottle? What? I think the suit glow should have been done in post instead of actually having suits that glow and they actually treat their suits like they're clothes instead of physically part of them.

-CG Jeff Bridges looks weird.

-Tron's completely unexplained change of heart.

In 1982 almost nobody had a computer in their home. They tried to translate computers into a world. But 30 years later computers have changed a lot, yet Tron's world is stuck in 80's. They didn't try and translate modern computer ideas into a world. A missed opportunity here I think. In 82 all most people knew about computers was limited to arcade machines and the original reflects that. Now people are much more computer literate.

On the other hand the soundtrack is awesome.

:rocket:
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I only saw scraps of the first movie years ago when I was a kid (I should watch it now, I'd probably enjoy it), and I have not seen this new one. So I can't comment on the movies themselves.

However, it does seem like Disney went all-out to promote the new movie. I was at Disneyland last month, I think a few days before the release. They have a new water and light show, and they added a Tron teaser to the end (in a clumsy fashion -- right after the conclusion of the show). There was also another Tron event (elecTRONica or something similar), but I didn't stay to see what it was -- Google says it was a "dance party". But maybe Disney does this all the time, and this is just the first time I've noticed it.

I completely missed what you said re: modern computing ideas the first time I read your post. Indeed it is a missed opportunity, but it could have resulted in an unrecognizable movie. My understanding of Tron is it takes place in a virtual world shaped by the limits of its computer. Now with modern technology, when we actually create virtual worlds, they're much more like the real world. And the computers are even invading our own world!
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

-Setting looks more like a futuristic city than a digital world. Too much steel, and glass, althogher too physical a reality. A "homeless program" is holding a plastic water bottle? What? I think the suit glow should have been done in post instead of actually having suits that glow and they actually treat their suits like they're clothes instead of physically part of them.

-CG Jeff Bridges looks weird.

-Tron's completely unexplained change of heart.
-YesYesYesYesYesYesYes.

-Yes.

-Yes.[/quote]
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

tron sucks, but i can't hate anything with that snazzy art style. moebius rules
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

yes, tron is not a good movie. On the other hand, it's awesome, and wendy carlos!
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

Zenith Nadir wrote:tron sucks, but i can't hate anything with that snazzy art style. moebius rules
don't forget jean giraud
and of course, gary oldman