z2 on dreamhost ?! ?! ?!

..................WTF?! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IS "XRUMER"?!

Moderator: Quantum P.

burstroc
replsd

z2 on dreamhost ?! ?! ?!

Post by burstroc »

SO I HEAR z2 IS MOVING TO DREAMHOST

discuss
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

yeah

to get away from YOU
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

if z2 is moving to dreamhost do we HAVE to use godedrp's account, he was going on about it last night and i said "nnnnooooooooo"

we could just buy one of our own, i'd be happy to contribute

godedrp is kind of a lame idiot

Zaphod
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Zaphod's is $10 one time payment.

He explained the crazy awsome magic promo code they had where he'd only have to pay $5/year. HE IS PROFITTING FROM US.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

but then we are at his mercy...
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

Commodore wrote:but then we are at his mercy...
Nah, he's harmless. He just wants us to like him.
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

But many people don't! I don't want to see z2 get deleted over nadir telling Zaphod to go eat another hamburger or something.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

it's true, in addition to being a needy little crybaby idiot godedrp is pretty impulsive and prone to rash decisions, and generally i don't like the idea of him having authority over any aspect of anything, ever

i'm not going to make a big deal over this if you're all dead set on it, but i'm going to pull a chuckie on this one

I DON'T THINK THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA

...damnit google are there NO good pictures of chuckie being scared on the internet >:(

oh well, i'll just use :whole: instead, that character is basically chuckie as a beaver
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Swashbuckler
don't belong, don't exist

Post by Swashbuckler »

Even though we've destroyed Zaphod's ego over and over and over again, he still returns to us and attempts to help. I'm sure he sees this as an attempt to gain some recognition within the ZZT community; therefor I stand beside Nadir on this one.

I have a very bad feeling about this.
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

I'm willing to contribute to hosting/domain costs to keep Z2 in the hands of someone like Revvy and/or Quantum. Hell, I'll even help administrate/code again if that's what it comes down to.
http://yahoo.com/
*shuggles*

Post by http://yahoo.com/ »

Honestly, I don't see Insidious deleting the space because he gets into a spat. For one thing, I'm a part of the admin team and he's got no beef with me. If worse came to worse, he'd be more likely to refund the money and let us save any important data before he terminated the hosting. I really don't think that's a big worry, though. I think this opportunity is too lucrative to pass up, partly because it'll speed things up as well as finally get rid of those dumb sql errors and weird behaviour problems that keep appearing. The other part is the cost for value, there are no more fees after this initial one. We're not going to get a better deal than that (unless Insidious gives us the coupon code).
this is a deep and meaningful quote
Fungahhh
Resource id #38

Post by Fungahhh »

[22:20] <Fungahhh> zaphod i need to ask something of you
[22:20] <brambs> Alright fellas I'm going to bed
[22:20] <brambs> seeya
[22:21] <Fungahhh> a request! you must never modify or delete z2 without asking revvy first
[22:21] <Toxik> Bye.
[22:21] <brambs> byes
[22:21] * brambs (~Brambleki@c-68-82-6-116.hsd1.de.comcast.net) has left #mzx
[22:21] <Insidious> Fungahhh: Sure.
[22:22] <Fungahhh> thanks
[22:22] <Insidious> I wouldnt dream of it.
[22:22] <Fungahhh> nadir was concerned about that!
[22:22] <Insidious> Cant modify it anyway, I have equal access to you except in the control panel.

(By "you" he means z2)

Edit: Also we already paid for it
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

I don't dispute that Insidious is unlikely to just delete this in a spat, but I'm still on Nadir's side with regard to being unsure this is a good idea. If it's already been paid for, I guess that's that.

Myself, I've often thought it's come high time to lay Z2 as we know it to rest and to recode the entire damn thing as efficiently as we can, including optimizing or even reconstructing the database, but I know what sort of investment of time that would need.

Regardless, I'm going to make a new CD-R archive of the site this evening, and it would be good if someone else with FTP access would do the same.
Fungahhh, Aplsos and I wrote:19.38.03 <Is> madtom why wouldn't moving to belsambar be a good idea
19.38.35 <MadTom> It's not in itself a bad idea, I just don't like the idea of anyone intimately connected with #mzx having anything to do with our hosting
19.38.42 <MadTom> Which is academic anyway I guess, since you're an MZXer
19.39.17 <Is> as long as he's not directly interfering i don't see what's wrong with it
19.39.20 <Is> it's his space and that's it
19.39.42 <Is> and i like to think of myself as an ex-mzxer
19.40.02 <Aplsos> still i would seriously place money dollars on zaphod going all HAAAAAAA TERMINATOR
19.40.07 <Is> i belong to no one
19.40.22 <sdu> i did not know that you were classified as an mzxer
19.40.46 <Is> some people do
19.40.48 <MadTom> I do not think it is a good idea but it's not like I've done anything for Z2 aside from post in months
19.42.15 <Is> he doesn't have permission to modify anything fundamental
19.42.33 <Aplsos> only take down the entire hosting?
19.42.43 <MadTom> You have his word he'll do that, not explicit proof
19.42.54 <Is> i know it's a stretch
19.42.55 <MadTom> This is not wise
19.42.58 <Is> but if he does
19.43.02 <Is> uh
19.43.09 <Is> i'll MAKE him refund the money!
19.43.22 <MadTom> The money is not what I'm worried about
19.43.27 <Aplsos> exactly
19.43.38 <Is> we'll have backups though!
19.43.43 <sdu> yeah
19.43.44 <Aplsos> backup EVERY DAY
19.43.45 <sdu> it's just zzt guys
19.43.47 <MadTom> I can do without another generation of retarded ZZT politics
19.43.47 <sdu> i mean come on
19.43.48 <sdu> zzt.
19.44.04 <Is> i didn't really want it to turn into politics
19.44.13 <Is> i didn't think there'd be any problems with it
19.44.28 <Is> i guess it's ultimately up to quantum p
19.44.35 <MadTom> That it is
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

MadTom wrote:
Fungahhh, Aplsos and I wrote: 19.44.28 <Is> i guess it's ultimately up to quantum p
19.44.35 <MadTom> That it is
...who has wisely stayed clear of this thread.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

MadTom wrote:I can do without another generation of retarded ZZT politics
I haven't been much of a community guy until recently, so I'm just learning about most of the politics and am somewhat lost with issues in this situation. The following is my understanding of the situation (I'm mostly just thinking out loud here):

A group of people (Did Revvy take the initiative?) wanted to improve Z2's hosting. Moonpie and Fungahhh pooled their money and gave about $10 to Insidious; in exchange, he has gotten us 1 GB of webspace (What's the deal [DreamHost coupon code?] he has access to? Where did he get the deal in the first place?). The administration is, to my knowledge, on good terms with both Moonpie and Fungahh. However, Zenith, NPS, MadTom, and Moonpie (Why did Moonpie pay for it?) fear that it would be unwise to be in a position where Insidious would have power (How much power? What would our relationship with him be?).

Revvy is enthusiastic, and to a certain extent, so am I: a one time fee for some very nice hosting (Is the hosting itself too good to be true?). The others are worried because relations have been rocky between certain ZZT community members and Insidious (What has Insidious done? What exactly happened between him and us?). MadTom thinks that problems with Insidious are unlikely, but he remains skeptical (Why? How stable is Insidious?). Despite past disputes, Insidious gave us this deal (Why? Does he just want to be liked? Fishfood would've banned me for saying this, but why can't we all be friends?).

We have two courses of action. If we stay on HOTU, the hosting won't change; it isn't all that great, but it has worked well enough up to the present day (Are things really running well enough? Would fixing up the site, as MadTom suggested, help things run better?). If we move to the new host (Belsambar? DreamHost? Where would we be?), the hosting would likely be very good, but Insidious would have a certain amount of power over us (Or would he? Does he own our hosting, or did we just get the deal through him?) We would keep a copy of Z2 on our HOTU space as a backup/mirror; this would minimize risk.

I would really like to talk with Insidious myself. What would be the best way to chat with him in private (IRC/AIM/Google chat)? What is most convenient for him?/Where is he often found online?