Autumn 2003 24 Hours of ZZT

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Autumn 2003 24 Hours of ZZT

Post by Dr. Dos »

The last 24 Hours of ZZT contest never got any results! I'm running an event through May for people to play through those games, and submit scoring so we can declare a winner 15 years after the contest ended.

https://twitter.com/worldsofzzt/status/ ... 0202371073

I doubt I need to explain the contest or how to run the games on z2. So here's the relevant links for the files:

Download: https://museumofzzt.com/file/1/24hoz-aut2003.zip
Play online: https://archive.org/details/zzt_24hozAut2003
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Dr. Dos

Re: Autumn 2003 24 Hours of ZZT

Post by Dr. Dos »

https://museumofzzt.com/article/300/jud ... urs-of-zzt

Somebody find eRN56 and tell them they have to host the next contest.
Visit the Museum of ZZT

TTTPPP2
newcomer

Post by TTTPPP2 »

WOW! Thanks so much to everyone who reviewed my game, and especially Dos for organising this.

Unsurprisingly in the past 15 years I've completely forgotten what happened in my 'game', but I remember loving these competitions and wanting to support them by taking part. I didn't use ZBitmap, but rather created my own conversion script to convert bmp files to zzt boards. I'm pretty sure it was released at some point (probably called something like bmp2zzt). Probably this means I lose a few marks (and maybe get disqualified? Some competitions had weird rules like that).

Particular thanks to Celine Kalante for somehow rating my game joint second, and to Geight for their comparison with Donnie Darko.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

so when are you hosting the next 24HoZZT? that ball's in your court, and the fans are itchin' to get the ball rollin'
:keen:
ern56
newcomer

Post by ern56 »

Dr. Dos wrote:https://museumofzzt.com/article/300/jud ... urs-of-zzt

Somebody find eRN56 and tell them they have to host the next contest.
So, uh, homz just sent me a message on Facebook, and like - what?

I completely forgot about making this game, and I'm blown away and extremely humbled that I won, especially after sixteen years.

Forgive me, but I didn't know there still was a ZZT community. Like, at all. Do... do I need to host the next 24hozzt now?
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Yes it does!

If anyone does something like this, no weekend contest for me I work then :( I know that probably puts me in the minority.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
ern56
newcomer

Post by ern56 »

Commodore wrote:Yes it does!

If anyone does something like this, no weekend contest for me I work then :( I know that probably puts me in the minority.
Hey! Long time, no see! If you're interested in participating, we will figure out some kind of scheduling that will work for you. If the onus is on me to organize this thing, I actually want to make it happen.

I've been poking around the internet, and it seems like ZZT is having a miniature renaissance thanks to Dr. Dos' efforts. I've redownloaded ZZT for the first time in over a decade and have been playing some of the newer games, and they're all spectacular. Didn't think I'd ever, ever say this again in this lifetime... but I think I want to make another game.
emmzee
newcomer

Post by emmzee »

It'd be great to see another 24hoz contest. Maybe to accommodate peoples' varying schedules and adult lives, people could be given a week to do their game, but only using a maximum of 24 hours. Honor system. Realistically I can't work on a game more than a couple hours a day now anyways.
Zephyr
aaaa my capilaries

Post by Zephyr »

I like that idea. Good to see you, Ern.
Dr. Dos

Post by Dr. Dos »

Congrats and welcome back!

In 2020 I want to try and create more resources to help people new to ZZT make games with it. I plan to at least so some sort of game jam on Itch. If you actually want to host something yourself I'd be glad to promote it on the @worldsofzzt twitter and Museum! If hosting something seems like a bit of sudden responsibility, I'm happy to let you pick a topic and run something myself
Visit the Museum of ZZT

ern56
newcomer

Post by ern56 »

emmzee wrote:It'd be great to see another 24hoz contest. Maybe to accommodate peoples' varying schedules and adult lives, people could be given a week to do their game, but only using a maximum of 24 hours. Honor system. Realistically I can't work on a game more than a couple hours a day now anyways.
I kind of like this idea, although if some people want to use a full week, I'd hate to stop them from doing so. Maybe something like a WoZZT would be a good compromise - enough time to do a submission on tighter schedules, but also room to spread out for people that have a whole weekend.
Zephyr wrote:I like that idea. Good to see you, Ern.
Hey! Good to see you too! I hope you're doing well. :D
Dr. Dos wrote:Congrats and welcome back!

In 2020 I want to try and create more resources to help people new to ZZT make games with it. I plan to at least so some sort of game jam on Itch. If you actually want to host something yourself I'd be glad to promote it on the @worldsofzzt twitter and Museum! If hosting something seems like a bit of sudden responsibility, I'm happy to let you pick a topic and run something myself
Hey, thanks! I've been checking out your Twitter feed and YouTube channel - it's wonderful to me that you're breathing new life into this thing. I'm torn on the question of hosting; I feel somewhat honor-bound to host the "next" event given the rules of the last, but I also really want to enter as a participant. Then again, if you're planning on hosting a game jam in the new year, I can always enter that.

I have a passing familiarity with Itch - is this the common way to host game jams nowadays?

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on scheduling? I know that this last quarter of the year is usually pretty busy for people.
emmzee
newcomer

Post by emmzee »

ern56 wrote:I kind of like this idea, although if some people want to use a full week, I'd hate to stop them from doing so. Maybe something like a WoZZT would be a good compromise - enough time to do a submission on tighter schedules, but also room to spread out for people that have a whole weekend.
The only reason for suggesting to keep the 24h rule is so that this contest would be more in line with those of the past; however doing a WoZZT would be great too.

Re timing, maybe late Jan would be good?
ern56
newcomer

Post by ern56 »

emmzee wrote:The only reason for suggesting to keep the 24h rule is so that this contest would be more in line with those of the past; however doing a WoZZT would be great too.

Re timing, maybe late Jan would be good?
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like the 24 hours over a week idea. I think the honor system will work fine; honestly, I'm more concerned about generating interest in ZZT, and getting some new ZZT games in the process. I am looking at the week starting at midnight on the morning of January 19th and running until midnight on January 25th. If no one objects, this is when I think I'll set it.
emmzee
newcomer

Post by emmzee »

Any updates on this? Maybe a new thread should be started to gauge interest; likely too late for the Jan 19 date.
ern56
newcomer

Post by ern56 »

emmzee wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:14 pm Any updates on this? Maybe a new thread should be started to gauge interest; likely too late for the Jan 19 date.
I still owe you folks a 24hozzt, don't I? Let's see if we can make this happen.