Ecco the Dolphin

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Ecco the Dolphin

Post by superbowl shuffle »

This is a game that I started working on maybe ten years ago. I planned for it to be one of the biggest games on the archive in terms of file size, with each level being an entire world. Not because of its gameplay length, but because the engine just takes up so much space. I never got to make as many levels as I wanted to. So earlier this year I figured I might as well finish the one level that was mostly done.

It's a ZZT version of Ecco the Dolphin, which is probably my favorite game. In my version, as well as the original, you play as Ecco and attempt to navigate the treacherous sea.

I should mention that there's really no plot to what I am uploading here. It's an unfinished game. I also can't guarantee you won't encounter bugs. It seems like once your worlds and boards get big enough, ZZT starts getting unpredictable.

Have at it and let me know what you think. :tie:

edit: I was able to get it running okay in Dosbox by setting the dosbox.conf to "cycles=40000", for what it's worth.
Attachments
Ecco.zip
(26.36 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Appetite4

Nice!

Post by Appetite4 »

Impressive! I got it to run smoothly in ZZT Ultra, although there are still some weird parsing cases to support that are interpreted as ZZT-OOP errors (instead of ignored in the original engine). This only happens when you return to a room you were in once already.

I would have thought a dolphin would have a longer lung capacity, but hey, I understand the need to reduce the air supply to a premium. Makes it more exciting.

Liked how color flashes when you take damage.
superbowl shuffle

Re: Ecco the Dolphin

Had to make the air meter quick -- if the game wasn't hard, it would not have upheld the legacy of the original haha.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
ZZTBandit
Ordinery

Post by ZZTBandit »

Coolest ZZT game I've seen in a while! I posted a preview on the Best of ZZT feed.
Last edited by ZZTBandit on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superbowl shuffle

Cool, I'm on Twitter!

The video looks a little slow, though, are you using Dosbox?

The jumping speed, for example, was supposed to be similar to that of an actual free-falling object at Earth's surface. And air depletion was meant to be around one per second.

It's been a really long time since I tested it on a legit Dos system, but I had to play around with Dosbox cycles to get it how I remember.
ZZTBandit
Ordinery

Post by ZZTBandit »

Oh, okay! Are we following eachother already?

Sorry about the speed, yeah I'm using DOSBox. I really need new hardware too, my processor is showing signs of wear and tear.

Again, good job! It's nice meeting you.
superbowl shuffle

Nah, I don't have an account on Twitter, I just mean I was mentioned on Twitter.

I'm glad you like it despite the slow speeds you were getting!
ZZTBandit
Ordinery

Post by ZZTBandit »

Oh, you should. This ecco twitter page (3500+ followers) was asking where they could download it after replying about my computer's slowness.

I really like the game and seriously want to beat it. When I saw ecco animate my jaw
:agh:
ZZTBandit
Ordinery

Post by ZZTBandit »

Ecco: Caverns of Hope is streaming this tomorrow at 12pm EST time.
superbowl shuffle

Nice, I think I'll drop by.
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I'm glad that you did this. What is the sequel on the Dreamcast like, assuming that you played it?
superbowl shuffle

I played it on the PS2 years ago. I didn't play it for a long time -- can't really offer an opinion on it.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Finally got around to playing it. V. good and the controls are great. I sort of wanted to do a metroid style game with zzt after Sid's. No sideview game lets you return from previous areas, I'm sure yours is the first.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
superbowl shuffle

Glad you enjoyed it.

There was this ZZT game called something like Darkland Adventures that was a non-linear side-scroller and probably an inspiration for Ecco. I don't remember if you could go back to previous areas, though. Not on the archive, I'll have to post it here next time I get my external HD hooked up.
Benco
newcomer

Post by Benco »

Oh. My. G-d.

That engine is astounding. And such attention to detail with the whole thing! Wonderful work.