ZZT-POOP

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

ZZT-POOP

Post by Dr. Dos »

===================
ABOUT:
===================
ZZT-POOP is a script to dump ZZT-OOP out of game worlds and into text files where you can then do whatever you like with it!

Requires Python 2.x to run. Tested on Windows 7, but it should run just fine on any Windows/Linux system.

===================
USAGE:
===================
Drop the script and .ini into your ZZT directory. Then from the commandline run the following command:

zzt_poop.py [file1.zzt] [file2.zzt] [...]

Alternatively, if you don't pass any filename arguments the script will scan the current directory and run on all ZZT worlds it finds.

===================
CONFIGURATION:
===================
Edit the file zzt_poop.ini to see various settings. This allows you to dump all code, just text (to get a game's script), or #play commands (to get a game's soundtrack). You can also set some extra information such as listing the world/room names and the coordinates of the objects that have been read. More details are within the ini itself.

===================
ISSUES:
===================
Objects with no code are still showing up and adding linebreaks to the dumped file. This can be particularly bothersome in more modern games where half-block objects are used to create art.

DOWNLOAD
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Re: ZZT-POOP

Post by bitbot »

Bravo! :tie:
Image Image
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

Thought I'd drop some more love as those of you may not realize the power of ZZT-POOP. I can't begin to tell you how awesome and useful it is to be able to dump the source code from a game into text thanks to this script. Pinpointing coordinates of object code, extracting dialogue and/or music has never been easier! This has come in handy so many times during testing. Thank you, Doc!

As an aside, would you and the z2 staff kindly consider updating the homepage?? I'm sure I speak for the majority here as the most recent post was back in 2010. Give Commodore the honors since he's (more relevant) been promoted.

:bear: GRRRR
Image Image
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Thanks! I am glad it is useful. (I imagine the zzt_ebooks twitter is using it as well.)

I have, many times over the past few years wanted to update the front page. But I no longer know how!

It used to be when logged in, there was an admin section in the lower right (for cool admins like me), however now, logging in from the front page takes me to the forums, and returning to the front page shows me as logged out!
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

z2 is broken?

:agh:
Image Image
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

last big forum crash somehow disconnented the main page from the fora. that was a while ago. I was trying to teach myself php and fixing that was tops on the list but real life and what not...
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

Image Image