ZZTV11 RELEASED!

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Commodore
fgsdfs

Re: ZZTV

Post by Commodore »

bitbot wrote:
Commodore wrote:Worst of ZZT could be pretty big! You'd need the find the "Best of the Worst." It's got to be amusing somehow and not just absolute garbage.

Firstly I'd nominate School ZZT, and Jesus 2035. Unless intentionally bad is a disqualification. Perhaps two volumes is in order.
Zamrods title has been disqualified for its anti-semitism lol. That's no way to treat The King of the Jews.

Any other requests?
Would it change your mind if I told you zamros was jewish?

Probably smart regardless.

Maybe look at fish foods stuff and the rest of his English cronies: lord igsel and wildkadderx or however you spell his name. Also look at Chowder(game not person)
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by bitbot »

Commodore wrote: Would it change your mind if I told you zamros was jewish?

Probably smart regardless.
I'm aware but why the hate? I felt compelled to defend my view and share the information— take it or leave it. A Worst of ZZT compilation shouldn't be so politically extreme or offensive.
:poop:
Commodore wrote: Maybe look at fish foods stuff and the rest of his English cronies: lord igsel and wildkadderx or however you spell his name. Also look at Chowder(game not person)
All good suggestions Commie keep em coming. Perhaps we need a third judge on the panel?
Image Image
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

Captain's Log, Stardate 43125.8. We have entered a spectacular binary star system in the ZZT sector on a most critical mission of astrophysical research. Our eminent guest, ZMAN, will attempt to study the decay of neutronium expelled at relativistic speeds from a massive stellar explosion which will occur here in a matter of hours.

Thanx Lynx.
Image Image
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

Commodore wrote: Maybe look at fish foods stuff and the rest of his English cronies: lord igsel and wildkadderx or however you spell his name. Also look at Chowder(game not person)
Probably should get Flimsy and draco's (RIP) stuff in here too for good measure.
Last edited by bitbot on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

bitbot wrote:Probably should get Flimsy and draco's (RIP) stuff in here too for good measure.
I think you are crossing into actual good territory here. A fine line at best though depending on taste. FISHIG WAS GOOD IS EVIL. I almost regret submitting fishfood as a suggestion, because it was the natural evolution from the weird introspective games that came before those and the ones they inspired, only with more of an off-handish beat mentality. This of course sounds trite when you are talking about teenager's video game output I guess.

Basically what I'm saying is you've got to sort of hone in on what you mean by bad, cause there's a lot, and there's a difference between a game that's bad but has merit, and a game that is intentionally screwing with you.

Not to say you can't use that stuff, more of a suggestion for cohesion in the collection.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

When I thought "Worst of ZZT" Viovis was the first person to come to mind but in a good way. Masamune is another example. Good stuff from bad games. I'd wanna go chronological here so that would help sort it out. This could be considered more or less the best of the ug.
Image Image
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

I demand that Jesus 2035 be included in Worst of ZZT, and yes, I am 100% purebred child-of-Holocaust-survivors Jewish.
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

Big ups to Lynx:
Last edited by bitbot on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Still accepting submissions?
bitbot

Re: ZZTV11 RELEASED!

Post by bitbot »

I'm not but I'll be passing the mantle on to Viovis/Ghettoflower.
Dr. Dos wrote: I have no idea what happens if you load a massive file that would hit ZZT's memory limits, but that can always be an option.
You're welcome.
ZZTV11.ZIP
(95.12 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
Edit: Final version 2.1
Last edited by bitbot on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
bitbot

Post by bitbot »

Image Image
Masamune
newcomer

Post by Masamune »

I'm honored..I think?
ZZTBandit
Ordinery

Post by ZZTBandit »

HOLY SHIT. LOL What a pleasant surprise!

I hope you like the revision, Masa. I tried my best to debug it, but it's kinda cool how it eventually just crashes ZZT.
I thought that was an appropriate way to end the mag!
Masamune
newcomer

Post by Masamune »

By chance I saw this a few weeks ago; I was vacillating over whether to respond when I saw that you followed me on Twitter. (My account is under my real name.)

I haven't played it yet, but I watched the video and it was impressive. It looks so much cleaner--still pre-STK, but I think it had to be due to memory constraints?--and will the most appropriate of music! And a preview--I don't recall if the original had one?

Yeah, I like it a lot. Thank you; it's very flattering to see something silly and broken you worked your half a lifetime ago somehow still have currency. :D

I'm sure it's been documented more extensively since then, but I discovered independently working on this that objects--or the ZZT-OOP editor buffer, at least--max out at 1024 lines of code. I think that was within one object, not a board. The editor would just not allow me to add new lines (as you probably also found). Definitely put a hamper on trying to do better. But at least it helped lead to such wonderful crashes!

About six years ago, I saw a forum post (possibly here?) where someone did their own take on this and dissected my choices and theirs. I wish I remember who it was. Their review was thorough, and they definitely improved on it--I don't recall if they got proper tetrominoes, but they had a good sense of our code choices; I think there was some point where they zigged where I zagged with regard to using flags/labels for different kinds of signaling.

Anyway, this is all very impressive, and I'm glad that such skilled developers are still keeping the flame alive.