Collaborative Game Idea

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Is this a:

Good Idea
69%
Bad Idea
15%
Depends
15%

Total votes: 13

Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

Post by Scribbit »

Well, that's 2 letters and 7 boards so far. The boards are the important bit, but I like the idea of having one board that everyone put a little into.

I'm frustrated with AJ's board because it appears to me to be one-way, but he says you can go the other way "under certain circumstances." I was under the impression that it should not matter what items the player enters the board with (the exception being Quantum P's because he's allowed to expect the player to bring the three keys).

RobertP, your board is also one-way. If you're still tweaking it, could you add a path back the other way to balance it? Maybe from the exit side put some one-way transporters so the player can start on the left and get to the bottom (this would bypass the puzzle of course, but if the player wants to go this direction they probably already have the green key).
I'm nupanick.
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

wait, when's the letter-deadline?
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

Threw it around ( a little). I hope it fits the scheme.
My waste is my weapon.
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Letter deadline is the same as the game deadline.

NEW RESTRICTION TO CLARIFY: If your board is listed as being two-way, it MUST be able to be crossed no matter which side the player starts on and it must contain ALL items necessary to cross, unless you SPECIFICALLY agree with another designer that their board will contain an item for use on yours. NO red, blue, or green keys/doors may be used on ANY board NOT MARKED as CONTAINING them and UNLESS you AGREE OTHERWISE with ANOTHER DESIGNER, you must have MATCHING DOORS for EACH KEY you use on your BOARD.

If you made a puzzle on your (two-way) board that goes predominantly in one direction, please add a backwards path. Like on a venus flytrap, y'know how you can go one way easy but to go back the other you have to answer a riddle? Something like that.

AJ, I liked your board but it really felt unfair to assume the player could get those items somewhere else. RobertP, your puzzle is great but there's no way to cross your board if you start from the west.
I'm nupanick.
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

Edit: I think it works! Looking forward to the game.
My waste is my weapon.
superbowl shuffle

Post by superbowl shuffle »

So now that the semester is done I have so much more time. I had the hardest class ever but now it is done, thank God. I'm going to start working on mine right now and it will be the best board ever made in zzt.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
asiekierka
YAHOO: ALL YOUR GEOCITIES ARE BELONG TO US

Post by asiekierka »

Ok, I will try to finish mine, but no letter. Nupanick, you make a letter instead. Ok? =)

EDIT: I only need to fix my ZZT system as i have a new PC.

Also, all exits link to the start board. Is that OK?
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

good, good. How hidden do you want the entrance? Like, "oops what was that oh cool where am I" hidden or "touch every wall I know it's here somewhere" hidden?
I'm nupanick.
asiekierka
YAHOO: ALL YOUR GEOCITIES ARE BELONG TO US

Post by asiekierka »

...Both.

But make the "hey, this guy is c...oh, i'm in some floatboard" one some sort of hidden, like you must do a very stupid thing, like sell your health. :P
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Okay, I've found a weird place to stick your entrance without messing with other boards. I want to make sure all the other boards work as intended and I'm not sure I want a link right off the start board.
I'm nupanick.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Less than a week! I'll try to get something in over the weekend.
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

remember, at the end of the month, the game is released as-is. No more extensions. If I get late submissions, I'll try to work them in. I am planning to mess with the layout so that all the recieved boards fit smoothly together, I'm sure it's possible given the flexibility of some boards.
I'm nupanick.
superbowl shuffle

Post by superbowl shuffle »

I can send it to you tomorrow. Is that okay? Am almost done but for one bug I must fix and I am tired of working on the board tonight.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

It it 2009 yet? that's the deadline. Although by tomorrow morning I may be persuaded to take a late entry. Send in the buggy one anyway if you can, just in case.
I'm nupanick.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I sent my revised entry in. The puzzle is the same, but I improved the ending. Thanks to Nupanick for organizing this -- I had a lot of fun making my entry!

...This might be the longest I've worked on a single board.