blinkwalls

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

gingermuffins

blinkwalls

Post by gingermuffins »

if you hit by a blinkwall, and there is a wall to the right, you get pushed onto the wall, but if you are blocked both on the east and west sides you die instantly

WHY
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i remember running into this when i was making that one board in chickenwire with the diagonal blink walls

but oh man, i have no idea, zzt is just plain weird
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

probably because it can't move you and just loops the damage on. maybe you could outlast the blinkwalls period if you had like 32000 health or something.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

32000 health
tried it a few months ago, slowly drains the player's health and goes unresponsive until it hits 0
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

http://zzt.org/dr_dos/blink.zzt

You can stand on top of anything and it won't respond like you touched it or it touched you.

Boulders stand there, gems remain uncollected, tigers don't hurt, passages don't trigger, all sorts of things.

The more interesting things however,

That red object #gives score 1 and restarts, when you're covering it, your score stops going up.

When that bomb is lit and you cover it, it will stay at the same position until you move off of it.

The blinkwall's ray continues to exist or continues to not exist when its source is covered.

That white object can be turned into a player clone, even when a player is on top of a player clone the clone survives when you move off.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

i got a high score!

also that's fucked. :tie:
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

If you put a blinkwall on the rightmost column of the board you can push the player onto the sidebar.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

now put it on zultimate
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

The player acts in a much more sensible manner when hit by a horizontal blinkwall ray. The code probably goes something like this:

Code: Select all

IF player is in the way
    IF not blocked north, move player north
    ELSE IF not blocked south, move player south
    ELSE end the game
But Sweeney probably screwed up coding the vertical blinkwall rays:

Code: Select all

IF player is in the way
    IF not blocked west, move player *east* // should be west
    ELSE IF not blocked east, move player east
    ELSE end the game
I'm guessing the actual code is working with coordinates (e.g., "player_x += 1" instead of "move player east"), so it would be easy to accidentally reverse a direction with a sign error.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

I liked making instant-death rays by using black fakes on either side of them.

Also Quantum, maybe Sweeney used the same code for all blink wall hits. Oops.

Edit: Some other seriously cool blink crap: http://saxxonpike.googlepages.com/blinks2.zip

If you don't have a blink wall that has one space of the ray either on a border or in something other than an empty, you might have some weird visual effects... rays only check to see if they are blocked per step, so you could potentially set up the rays just right to have a lot of cool color combinations
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I've seen that if you destroy the sidebar a little and shoot into it, bullets will travel through and their image will wrap back to the left side. would it be possible to place objects in spots like x85,y12 and have the player be able to walk under their image?
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Yeah, you can wrap bullets. Use a blink wall on the far right side shooting down and get zapped to get to the border. Get ammo and shoot to the right. The bullets will wrap around and not be obstructed by anything for a couple rows. That is, until its X location wraps from 255 to 0 and it'll hit the game-generated board edge. That kind of gives me an idea... zap in the right places, and I could essentially have endlessly shooting bullets!

Also, objects off-screen are impossible - at least in the editor. You can set any object's X/Y location off-screen but if where you put it doesn't have an object under it (and it can't because of the format's limitation) the code won't be executed.

?zap a board edge, send an object into it, and you can still interact with it. Save the game and reload. It's gone, and you can't interact with it anymore - even though the object code is still there.
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

Saxxon wrote:?zap a board edge, send an object into it, and you can still interact with it. Save the game and reload. It's gone, and you can't interact with it anymore - even though the object code is still there.
can move an object into the sidebar and reach it with #send (in some spots, it crashed or energized the player), but yeah i see what you mean
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

ghost blowjob?

any how did you do that?

edit oh wait that's why it's a .sav, but i'm still confused.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

<s>nanobot figured it out a while back but i can't find his post because his username is some random number: zap the wall, make an object walk into the sidebar and stop, that object tells a cleanup object to fix the yellow border, save, restore</s>