Water surging through a tunnel...

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Shadow Mage
Naked Zombie Sean Connery

Water surging through a tunnel...

Post by Shadow Mage »

In the game I'm currently programming I have the main character walking through a sewerpipe and I have a trap set to produce slime when he walks far enough into the tunnle.

The problem is that I don't really like idea of slime because its too cheesy and its too easy to stop in such a constricted tunnel. Are there any different ways in which I could approach this?

Objects?

I also have a different problem for when you through a rope across a gap, where the ropes color is white, and on the water it just makes it a deeper shade of water that you can walk on.
Meh, can't beleive how little I come to these forums now.
Mister Lad
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by Mister Lad »

objects shooting stars! that would give him a run for his money. and mommy.
Mister Lad!!!!
<i>Who weares short shorts?
MISTER LAD THATS WHO!</i>
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

yo!

If it's a thin tunnel, you could try using a few objects which #put water behind themselves as they move along the route you want. (You can get runtime errors if you have like 75 objects #putting at the same time. It should be okay if it's a thin tunnel, though.) I guess you can hide them near the entrance, or in the walls if you know how to use the tile info box to set the under type in KevEdit.

(edit: slimes would still work if you didn't want to bother with a bunch of extra hubbub. Just make a message appear that explains that you're stuck there, change the breakables to normals so they can't be shot out, and change the slimes to empties after a few seconds so that they don't fill the entire tunnel.)

The rope -- are you specifying a colour when #putting down fakes, like "#put s white fake"? If you don't specify a colour, the colour of whatever was there previously on that tile will be used. The default colour of empties is white on black, even though you can't see it while playing or editing. That's why the rope would change white over a pit and blue over water.

Hope that helps.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

If you have a long narrow tunnel you can have some objects at one end put a whole heck of a lot of boulders in one direction. Then you could change the boulders into water real fast. Do it in a couple of directions and time the objects to do their thing sequentially as to push the player down the tube and you could have the effect you are looking for.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Shadow Mage

Post by Shadow Mage »

gingermuffins wrote:yo!

If it's a thin tunnel, you could try using a few objects which #put water behind themselves as they move along the route you want. (You can get runtime errors if you have like 75 objects #putting at the same time. It should be okay if it's a thin tunnel, though.) I guess you can hide them near the entrance, or in the walls if you know how to use the tile info box to set the under type in KevEdit.

The rope -- are you specifying a colour when #putting down fakes, like "#put s white fake"? If you don't specify a colour, the colour of whatever was there previously on that tile will be used. The default colour of empties is white on black, even though you can't see it while playing or editing. That's why the rope would change white over a pit and blue over water.

Hope that helps.
Okay, that's helpful. But the tunnel is supposed to get flooded, like basically the person is supposed to like run from a surge of water. So the objects idea would probably work, I'd just have to set something like

#If contact then fart

:fart
You failed to outrun the surge of water.
:loser
#endgame
/i/i/i/i/i
#send water:loser
#end

or something like that.

I think I might also make invisible passages that take you into the room and stuff and have the objects just hidden behind the passages.

As far as the rope goes, it's also crossing water. Could that be my problem?
Last edited by Shadow Mage on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Mage

Post by Shadow Mage »

Commodore wrote:If you have a long narrow tunnel you can have some objects at one end put a whole heck of a lot of boulders in one direction. Then you could change the boulders into water real fast. Do it in a couple of directions and time the objects to do their thing sequentially as to push the player down the tube and you could have the effect you are looking for.
That could be good too. I might do that for another scene in my adventure at some point.
Shadow Mage

Post by Shadow Mage »

Mister Lad wrote:objects shooting stars! that would give him a run for his money. and mommy.
Rolf! Well it is a sewer pipe. If there was some way to color the stars so they stay yellow/brown/green.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

:hmmmm:
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
mania-[ker]
Im Zamros

Post by mania-[ker] »

petition to make Image an emoticon
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

mania-[ker] wrote:petition to make Image an emoticon
rofl = ImageImageImageImage
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Shadow Mage

Post by Shadow Mage »

Dr. Dos wrote:
mania-[ker] wrote:petition to make Image an emoticon
rofl = ImageImageImageImage
YES! Make that emoticon into our rolf!

I want my rolf!
thematrixeatsyou
&#8238;Ouch.

Post by thematrixeatsyou »

Stick an object in which you don't see until it jumps out at you, screaming "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!" Or something like that.
AKA GreaseMonkey. This is my old nick.
Unless someone sneakily changes it while I'm not looking.
Oh well.

Playing around with timing hacks.
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

Oh my God you're an even bigger failure than you used to be

I didn't think it was possible
Mister Lad
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by Mister Lad »

Who is this dude? He's no Rolf.
Mister Lad!!!!