Weekend of ZZT 2007

NOTE: I HATE A LOT OF YOUR ZZT GAMES, SO WATCH OUT!

Moderators: Commodore, Zenith Nadir

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

sharks
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

Kjorteo wrote:You can't #change anything outside the seven primary ZZT colors. You can #change things from dark versions of the primary colors by just calling them by the primary colors--#change red ____ gets both light and dark red ____s, #change yellow _____ gets both yellow and brown _____s, etc.--but whatever they're changed to is always the bright version.

Maybe one of the shades of grey might count as white for the "from" purposes, but other than that, I don't think it's possible.
Thanks, I didn't know you could do that! It looks like it can be very useful at times. I've been experimenting to #change the darker shades of colors, but never was successful. That helps a lot. :) Also, I tried to get ZZT to recognize grays as whites, but it doesn't. There are other methods, however, like Quantum and Dos said in the past couple posts.
Quantum P. wrote:I believe you can create the appearance of gray solid by #changing stuff to white doors and then to white invisible.
That works well! While trying things out, I also found out that by #changing doors into solid/normal/ect., it becomes a blinking wall. #changing other things into different things can create some pretty cool effects!
Dr. Dos wrote:sharks
I tried it, and it worked well. You can do some pretty cool monochrome-looking effects with sharks as well.
Quantum P. wrote:[post]
o sry :<
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

Go by the clock if you want, but even if it's off by a couple of minutes it's really not important. The contest starts as soon as the topic's up.
Kjorteo wrote:You can #change things from dark versions of the primary colors by just calling them by the primary colors--#change red ____ gets both light and dark red ____s, #change yellow _____ gets both yellow and brown _____s, etc.--but whatever they're changed to is always the bright version.
Not true! With the exception of doors, "red" always means light red foreground, "blue" always light blue foreground.

I can think of at least three possible workarounds for #changing from grey:

One way you could "#change grey solids" is to use invisibles with grey backgrounds and a standard ZZT colour, say red, for the foreground. The red won't show up, so long as the player can't touch them. Then #change red invisible (new colour) (new element) will work.

You could also have a hidden object #put something over a grey tile. If you want to preserve the grey colour, don't define a new colour, just a new element, in your #put command.

A third way is to make grey solids (or whatever other element) the only colour of solid on the board, and then just #change solid (target).
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

gingermuffins wrote:I can't get this to work. #change red solid yellow solid won't affect dark red solids. :(

Are there any games on the archive that use this? It sounds useful.
Is that so? I could have sworn it worked, but I've never personally used it. I just passed that along as one of those things I've heard that I thought was common knowledge. My deepest apologies if it's untrue.
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

Ten hours to go. The topic will be posted in this thread, on Z2's frontpage, in my LiveJournal, and hopefully in the #rawr topic.
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

I'd like to try this, although I'm not sure how much time I'll have...I'll
*hopefully* have access tonight and be able to do this, if God is merciful.
I could then use the magic of USB and email to finish and get it here after
Church from my Dad's...
Shadow Mage
Naked Zombie Sean Connery

Post by Shadow Mage »

Eh! I'd like to join the contest if its not to late. = )

Sign me up as Shadow Mage
Benco
newcomer

Post by Benco »

Whats going on here? Is ZZT Still alive? *sigh* sign me up.
shotintoeternity
newcomer

Post by shotintoeternity »

I might join, depending on the topic.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

The first Weekend of ZZT contest for 2007 has begun. Your topic is CRIME.

I will be online as MadTom on #rawr (irc.slashnet.org) and #mzx (irc.esper.net), and BlessThyFiveWits on AIM for much of the contest if you have any questions. If I am not available, you may prefer to e-mail me at madutomu aht gmail dawt com.

Some useful links: Please do not submit your entries by e-mail. You must use the submissions page linked above.

You have 72 hours. Go!

Jazzy, Shadowmage, Benco, kev-san: No, it's not too late! Get started and I'll add you to the list of entrants now.

My Liver Hurtz has withdrawn.
MasterRaze
UHM HMMM

Post by MasterRaze »

Damn you Hurtz, damn you.

Good luck everyone!
[size=84:2xnkfrww]"I have a joke....there is a chair and the chair a walk...with a shoes. LALALALALA...the chair is a walking!"

[i:2xnkfrww]"What a funny image."[/i:2xnkfrww]

"Yes. I really should tell this joke?"

[i:2xnkfrww]"Probably not."[/i:2xnkfrww][/size:2xnkfrww]
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

8 boards done, onto my 9th. X(

I'm making good progress, and may be done as soon as tomorrow night, if I keep up my pace. Good luck to all the contestants, and do a good job!

I think it's been 5 hours into the contest, but I'm not entirely sure...
bustaballs
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Post by bustaballs »

hyde` wrote:8 boards done, onto my 9th. X(

I'm making good progress, and may be done as soon as tomorrow night, if I keep up my pace. Good luck to all the contestants, and do a good job!

I think it's been 5 hours into the contest, but I'm not entirely sure...
You suck. This is taking me more effort than normal because I'm remembering more coding as I work with it. I'm just going to whip up something simple.

I'm currently working on my 3rd board, not including the title screen. =(

Good luck to everyone.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

The sheer volume of work you produce is not nearly as important as the quality of the game overall. Don't be discouraged if you think others are working faster than you.

I'd like to hear about how others are going, too.
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I started working on something last night, but it didn't have much to do with crime so I'm starting over. :icannotcontrol: