Mirroring ZZT worlds

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

H1~~
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Mirroring ZZT worlds

Post by H1~~ »

In wake of the recent downtime for the site zzt.org I had THOUGHT the site had 'finally died'. I haven't heard about this on forums yet. I'll check any more 'tech support'-y (end punctuation spelling on THIS one Nadir? ) sections later.
In recent years after the previous ZZT.org was shut down Z2 came up and first it's ''zzt DOT theunderdogs DOT com'' and then ''zzt DOT belsambar DOT net'' and then it's back to ''zzt DOT org'' again.
However then it went down for over 2 weeks somewhere back in the earlier to later part of March.
I thought it was dead! Am I the only one who noticed this downtime? Or is it something that happened entirely at random only for my Web Browser, OS, and Time Zone..?

In conversation with another individual interested in ZZT about it in an instant messaging client that has nothing whatsoever to do with the type of game ZZT is I mentioned that I did still have every single world file from ZZT.org from the start of ZZT worlds being 'put on the web' to around the time Preposterous Machines came out...
They suggested I mirror my own copies of the worlds to try and get refocus on ZZT after it 'died'.
I'm not sure what kind of benefit this might provide considering zzt.org is really not going down anytime soon but in case it should be of any help I've decided to mirror the worlds I've gotten offa this site when I archived them serially in mass to a local hard drive sometime back in... God knows when, maybe 2007 or something, let me check the filedates... 2009 Oct. 19...
All untouched folders there filedate to that one specific day. I guess I was bored. Thank God I chose that instead of home-mirroring the full contents of ''pub/idgames2/'' (though I'm eyeing that for next).

''Let's archive as much of zzt.org's own ZZT world files on my own hard drive as I can in one day! They're only like 16 to 512 kb per world! My filespace can take that EASILY! ''
Well I guess I had the right idea there.
From looking at the folder contents I noticed I made a log of 'corrupt .zip archives' in there as well.
As I recall when downloading a lot of files off of a list en masse often they will act like they have finished downloading before they actually have, causeing them to 'corrupt, and be the wrong actual filedata in the actual .zip file downloaded...
So I don't have litreally all of them.
Though I still have a LOT of uploading to do.

I do have somewhere betewen 99 to 99.99 percent (that's an error tolerance of somewhere between 0.01 and the square of 0.01) of every single world file available for download from ZZT.org on October 19, 2009, dating as far back as the release of ZZT itself in 1990 and as far upwards as right before Preposterous Machines was released.
Unfortunately I did not sort them by the Genres they were in on the site at the time, and used my own Genre categorization instead, which was generally a grouping of 4 Sub-Genres of 4 larger Genres in series, some with more 'groups of 4 within groups of 4' in a row... but then as I recall I figured ''Bah, man, I'll resort their Genres as I play them! ''... so now they are only into 4 or more categories of whole ZZT worlds' .zip files.
On a flipside to all of this I also kept some relevant gems (no pun intended) such as the raw .htm file page rips of most of the pages from an old Interactive Fantasies website.
I must have read through all their 'Sagas' about ZZT Cameo characters on their wild and crazy adventures 'cause then I decided to just 'right click save page as' for like as many as I could trace off of the web site via links to one another on the pages themselves at the time, though I remember I was still using Internet Explorer (Internet Explorer 6? ), so I probably actually tracked the 'index of/' somehow and got the .htm files that way. Or maybe right click on the page links and 'save link as'. I forget how that worked in October 20, 2009, when I saved them (according to the filedates on these this was the day after).

Some of these extract to subfolders... I can't fix that. I've tried to leave their contents unmodified as much as is possible.
I cannot tell you how many individual worlds are in each .zip file.
Artwork worlds8126 KB
Utility worlds2097 KB
Schematic worlds16945 KB
Adventure worlds47838 KB
Music worlds314 KB
modified engine ZZT worlds1767KB
ZZT engines forked213 KB
Interactive Fantasies Cameo Sagas siterips125 KB
Artwork worlds: These are worlds you 'play through' generally just to see series of 'art boards' or other demonstrations of neat stuff done in ZZT in general, including magazines, such as the primary 3 ZZT Encyclopedia games (Think about ''no limits'' as a category you enter from a main hallway complex and that 'sound board' where stock sound effects in ZZT were all listed for duplication in Object's ZZT-OOP code and was updated each of the three games and how the third world itself would trigger you to another world if you loaded it in a different way than normal to demonstrate the 'renamed world file' trick directly to boot. ).
Utility worlds: Most of these are compilations of toolkits though there are probably some 'playable' things in there (Syndromes etc. might classify more as 'Artwork' category ZZT worlds but remember how the ''Pope ZZT Kit'' was actually a fully playable ''utility board series''? ).
Schematic worlds: Anything premise-based or otherwise not 'just to play' of ZZT Worlds you actually play as a game go in here.
Adventure worlds: Any of those just 'sit down and play through' sort of ZZT worlds go in here.
Music worlds: If it involves ZZT's music specifically as a ZZT world then it goes in here.
modified engine ZZT worlds: These either work with only alternate ZZT engines (sometimes made specifically for the game such as Banana Quest by WiL) or use other alterations such as ZZT Font mods by batch/additional executable executed alongside.
Also check out the 'gems' such as the few engine forks I collected and the Interactive Fantasies website .htm file pagerips.
Please please PLEASE let me know if I've fucked up any of the file downloads (in ways others than I've already claimed of course)!

According to my past ''corrupt .zip achives logs'' these are the games that are 'missing' from this.
They aren't excluded from these compilation .zip files of .zip files, but you may have to reference the names here, as they are CORRUPT so these ones you will not be able to sucessfully extract and play.

barg.zip
rings2.zip
mquest.zip
mystZZT.zip
aliensb.z01

Let me know of any other corrupt .zip archives you find in these .zip file compilations of .zip files!
It would take over two years to play all these games... in their entirety... straight.

I may move to 'home-mirroring' and then uploading to my webspace to be mirrored there the 'Utilities' later.
I recall I've got a LOT of those, but not all, on file as well.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Re: Mirroring ZZT worlds

Post by Quantum P. »

I will have to take a look at these, to see if there's anything that's missing from our archives.
H1~~

Post by H1~~ »

Feel free to let me know if you do but I reallly don't think you're gonna find anything in these... expressions of my past enthusiasm for mass file archiving... that isn't still on zzt.org today.
I guess I figured if someone REALLLY wanted access to ZZT Worlds at a time when they happened to not be online at the time for whatever reason this might help.
I understand that just because it's the 'main website' for ZZT doesn't mean that they necessarily have an absolutely total database of every finished ZZT Game ever released over the Internet.
Though, as I've seen, few file archives are as close to absolute... there are mirrors of the old ''pub/idgames2/'' thing that rivals this and they are dwindling fast... I just can't help it because I don't like loss of information.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

This is a good place to post that Pete the Pirate seems to have been overwritten by Pirate Perils at some point in the distant past. Both share Pirate.zip file names but different capitalisation. It's the same on Exploited Chaos.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

This download includes two copies of the old Pirates' Peril, and another of the remake.

It looks like we have a problem with our review system, too. Try looking at the reviews for Pirate Perils, and for Pete the Pirate -- it looks like you reviewed both games.

I hate it when history is lost. :(
H1~~

Post by H1~~ »

You mean to tell me this was already useful?
I just did this on my own time some years ago for the hell of it. Then posted it here in case it would be of use. Did not expect folks to be already finding files I had that are no longer on-site.
It's way too early to call this one, but, if it provides to be of use even when ZZT.org's own downloads are still in good working condition at the time (which they always are as long as the site is up in my experience) then I'll see what else I can muster.
As I recall, I had claimed in the original post that, as I recall, I do have some of the ZZT utils (other than worlds), though let me find those in my older 'file archives' as I did before for these...
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Well, we're still missing Pete the Pirate. Pirate's Peril was already in the archives.

Though I do want to thank you for your work, though, regardless of what's found in there. :)
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

thank you
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I did not know we still had that word filter.

I closed the browser tab right after posting (before the post loaded), so I only just now found out about it! Perhaps the most amusement I've gotten from it.

What I meant to say was, thanks for the files/preservation effort, H1.
H1~~

Post by H1~~ »

Ummm... I wouldn't make much of it. I was just lucky at any rate for havin' felt like this at any rate.
Now to home-mirror that pub/idgames2/ thinger *[SHUDDER]* might take some disk space and really I'd only be in it for Quake and Q3 and maybe Doom but not for... Wolf3D, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II, Heretic II, TnT Evilution Doom (Doom's two 'mission packs') and... well... you get my point but in the name of contiguosity being the point that might take days.
H1~~

Post by H1~~ »

Here's those URLs again.
I messed them up when I changed my wenspace directory structure a tad but couldn't get back into my account on ZZT forums.
Artwork worlds8126 KB
Utility worlds2097 KB
Schematic worlds16945 KB
Adventure worlds47838 KB
Music worlds314 KB
ZZT engines forked213 KB
Artwork worlds: These are worlds you 'play through' generally just to see series of 'art boards' or other demonstrations of neat stuff done in ZZT in general, including magazines, such as the primary 3 ZZT Encyclopedia games (Think about ''no limits'' as a category you enter from a main hallway complex and that 'sound board' where stock sound effects in ZZT were all listed for duplication in Object's ZZT-OOP code and was updated each of the three games and how the third world itself would trigger you to another world if you loaded it in a different way than normal to demonstrate the 'renamed world file' trick directly to boot. ).
Utility worlds: Most of these are compilations of toolkits though there are probably some 'playable' things in there (Syndromes etc. might classify more as 'Artwork' category ZZT worlds but remember how the ''Pope ZZT Kit'' was actually a fully playable ''utility board series''? ).
Schematic worlds: Anything premise-based or otherwise not 'just to play' of ZZT Worlds you actually play as a game go in here.
Adventure worlds: Any of those just 'sit down and play through' sort of ZZT worlds go in here.
Music worlds: If it involves ZZT's music specifically as a ZZT world then it goes in here.
modified engine ZZT worlds: These either work with only alternate ZZT engines (sometimes made specifically for the game such as Banana Quest by WiL) or use other alterations such as ZZT Font mods by batch/additional executable executed alongside.
ghettoflower
viovis

Post by ghettoflower »

The DreamHost customer who owns unprofiled.net has not yet uploaded their website or has chosen to leave this holding page active.

If you are the owner of this domain, you'll find your login information contained within the emails sent to you when your account was activated. Once logged in, you'll be able to delete this page (quickstart.html) and upload your new site.

Here are some helpful links for getting started:
▒░Vivois▒▓█
-i like elk
H1~~

Post by H1~~ »

I didn't like my Domain name "unprofiled" anymore and so I purchased a new domain and left the old one to sit and rot.
What.
I'll reupload them to my current webspace eventually.
Give me 3 months to 2 years.
What.
What.
H1~~

Post by H1~~ »

Artwork worlds8126 KB
Utility worlds2097 KB
Schematic worlds16945 KB
Adventure worlds47838 KB
Music worlds314 KB
ZZT engines forked213 KB
Here's those links again.
We're still waiting on those 'utilities' category ones...