WMD

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

RCV
rick roll master

WMD

Post by RCV »

I'm working on a game called WMD. This is the first game I've made since A-Wars back in 2007, so don't expect anything too special. This is what I have so far: zzt.org/upload//WMDEMO.zip

Feedback would be appreciated. I'm not very good with ZZT-OOP, so let me know if there's any bugs or lag in the game.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Re: WMD

Post by Commodore »

It is very hard. Either health potions don't give you enough health, or there are too many enemies, or they are too aggressive. I don't know how long you want to make this game, but it seems like I started it on the last level. The poison effect could go a touch slower as well. There's no reason to carry health potions without a max health, it would be more useful if you could carry multiple antidotes.

Arrows maybe should be more effective.

The opening is rather wordy, and I don't mean the introduction, that's good, but on the first game play board I just want to get on with it. I feel like you could have that story happen much as you have the enemies appear: triggered in bits as you approach the gate and it locks behind you. In this case showing is better than telling. Also the description of the game mechanics is long. "This game uses an inventory system. Type '?+i' to access it." or something along those lines, is enough.

Anyway, just my thoughts, I did like what I saw. The opening is cool, but I'm sure you could add more movement or animation, flickering torches, moving water and whatnot.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
RCV
rick roll master

Post by RCV »

How would you make bullets more effective than physical attacks? I don't know how to program something like that. For the most part, I only know basic stuff with ZZT-OOP.

I was also concerned that my game may have been too easy but it seems to be the opposite. I'll be sure to nerf the current difficulty of the game.

Thanks for the feedback!
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

For making shots do more damage than touching you'd do something like:

Code: Select all

@enemy
:loop
#go rnd
#if contact hit
#loop
#end
:touch
#zap hit
Ouch!
#hit
#dieanyway
#end
:shot
#zap hit
#zap hit
Ow!!!
#hit
#dieanyway
#end
:hit
#loop
:dieanyway
#die
Your :hit labels are the enemy's health and the :dieanyway is to handle if you do so much damage that you zap the last :hit label.

Unless I'm misremembering trying to jump to a label that doesn't exist causes the object to error out.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Dr. Dos wrote:Unless I'm misremembering trying to jump to a label that doesn't exist causes the object to error out.
It will error out except under these conditions:
1- #SEND is used
2- there is a target specified (ex: #all:go) even when there are no suitable targets/labels
bitbot
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by bitbot »

Not too bad so far... Aim for short, but sweet.

From an artistic perspective, don't be afraid to go over the graphics at least 3 revisions. That goes for everything really.
You've got some good story telling ability, but I second Commodore. Split up the cinema or offer an option to skip it.

Edit: Maybe you should call it WMD 2 since Quindo already used the title.
RCV
rick roll master

Post by RCV »

Dang, I didn't know that the title WMD was already taken. I might just change the title entirely because of that. Sorry I haven't worked on this project in so long. I took a hiatus because I temporarily lost interest in the project.

Anyways, I've updated the game a bit: http://zzt.org/upload//WMD.zip

I added a few new things and improved some existing stuff based on the feedback you guys have given me so far. It's far from completion but I really wanted to release something. Let me know what you all think of the little update.

Also I attempted to make some nicer graphics. Graphics aren't my forte but I try. What do you think of this?

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I've no idea how I missed this update. Shame on all of you others too.

That board is nice, though it could stand for some furniture or the like. Unless it is to later be full of enemies. Otherwise it's looks a little empty. And I'd advise limiting the checkerboard areas to only a few select boards (though be consistant). It looks good for a splash, but it can quickly get tiresome.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Checkerboard is decorative but yeah, don't overdo it as Commodore says. In addition to visual fatigue, you'll also inflate your board sizes a lot. Also the contrast between the red and yellow is a little jarring.