A few random ideas.

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

A few random ideas.

Post by Saxxon »

- Set torch cycles to 32767 and make all boards dark. Roughly 54 minutes of flashlight power at 10 ticks/second. Ran out of batteries? Use torches. (The torch will be consumed even on the title screen, however)

- Set player's health to 1 and make good use of built-in enemies. One hit and you're dead. The only method to gain more health would be through gems.

- Use two player clones, one for tracking movement and another for tracking shooting. Shooting brings up an action menu (so unlimited ammo is required). Enemies don't move until the player moves. This makes the board into a turn-based strategy.

- DOORS THAT DON'T AUTOMATICALLY CLOSE GODDAMNIT

Posting them here so I don't lose them.
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Story:

Someone in trouble sends out a letter. The letter arrives at your residence. It isn't addressed to any person in particular, but it has your home address on it. You open it up to find that it was in fact not meant for you, but someone of apparently great skill who could rescue the sender from certain doom. It turns out the intended recipient actually moved quite a few years ago. You venture out to try and find the guy who is supposed to rescue the one who sent the letter -- but you find that they have been dead for a couple years (unrelated incident). Determined to do something for the victim, you set out to rescue him...
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Story:

You appear to be in a strange place you've never been before. There's a note nearby. It's in some really familiar handwriting. It's YOUR handwriting. The note says to not screw up this time around. This time around? You don't remember being here even once!

The player can confront the final boss fairly early. If the player didn't perform all the necessary tasks to make sure he dies the proper way, the final boss inflicts amnesia on the player - he will only have the time to write a short note to himself before he passes out..
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Re: A few random ideas.

Post by Saxxon »

This came to me and I made it up as I went along posting it on Twitter, and it actually sounded like a pretty cool idea.
"He'd arrived in this quaint town. Luckily for the town, he was seeking adventure. Luckily for him, they were seeking a dragonslayer.

"The so-called dragonslayer located the so-called dragon's lair and ventured inside. An epic battle soon took place.

"A battle-hardened adventurer, after many close calls, took his weapon clean through the dragon's heart. He was victorious. But..

"The dragon smiled as his last breath was spent; he was finally free of the magic that had controlled him. It left his body..

"This magic was now in search of a more powerful host- it quickly overtook the adventurer and began to transform him into the next dragon..

"All of it was a plan to build the most powerful dragon alive; when a stronger adventurer came along it was like natural selection.

"The town rejoiced, though they never saw the adventurer again, or what became of him. They were oblivious to this fact..

"...or were they? Perhaps the sole existence of this town was to facilitate the dragon's growth. We may never surely know."

I really feel like finishing a ZZT game. The player's part in it could be one of the townsfolk wanting to end the cycle. Do some sidequests and gain points. At the end of the game, your points could determine what happens. If you just decide to skip all that stuff and finish the game (by killing the dragon), you'd just end up contributing to the cycle.
I thought of a two-objective goal:
1) Defeat the maintainer of the spell
2) Defeat the spell itself

1 would impact your ending the most. 2 would determine whether or not you were stuck as a dragon at the game's end:

BAD- [do none]: you effectively become the next enslaved dragon, just like the last guy.
BAD+ [defeat spell]: you don't become a dragon, but you do become controlled by the sorceror, and he uses you to summon a new dragon. This buys a few centuries time, but ultimately doesn't stop it. At least you die instead of staying a slave.
GOOD- [defeat sorceror]: you become a dragon, but still have your free will. You can't go back home, and you will be on the run for the rest of your life. If someone slays you, they will then become the dragon.
GOOD+ [defeat both]: standard "happily ever after" ending.

And of course the third objective (which is the main plot), kill the damn dragon in the first place.

Frankly I love the GOOD- ending more because it keeps the dragon alive from now on, but I'm sure most people would enjoy curbstomping all 3 things.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

I like this idea. I give it :keen: :keen: up
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I like the idea that the townfolk are in on it (also under sorcerer's control) and try to convince the hero to directly kill the dragon and to ignore the man behind the curtain. Requires some detective work to really figure out what's happening.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

Commodore wrote:I like the idea that the townfolk are in on it (also under sorcerer's control) and try to convince the hero to directly kill the dragon and to ignore the man behind the curtain. Requires some detective work to really figure out what's happening.
He's also got the added benefit if it's a remote place that adventurers are just looking to come for adventure and fame, and killing a dragon seems to be the natural capstone of this. Hell, the sorcerer probably doesn't have to do anything to the adventurer at all ;)
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Here's a good idea, Instead of Torches (ZZT) and Stones (SuperZZT), Turn them into Coins by using no dark boards at all in the ZZT world, and use these objects:

ZZT Coin:

Code: Select all

@ZZTCOIN
'Replaces the Torches with Coins
'-----------------
'Needs a modded ZZT executable
'to rename the Status Bar and
'kill some torch-specific messages
#end
:touch
#play +++bb
#give 1 torches