New TSA Game

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

Ahahahaha, awesome. Nadir is said to prefer the old school editor, but I'm a KevEdit fanboy myself. As for Wine, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. I wish it were that easy. IE is a true expletive to install, even with Winetricks or PlayOnLinux, and then it still didn't work for me. Not to mention MyITLab uses ActiveX controls that want to take over the computer (no window changing, etc.) and it just...doesn't want to work. The XP VM works just fine though, so no big deal.

I'm not sure it's fair to call Ubuntu a "noob Linux". It's not really that much different than Debian, really, when you get down to it. I installed Debian on an older PC in my mom's house and had absolutely no problems getting it up and running, and administrating it, because they were mostly identical. I mean, something like Arch is a little more "difficult" because you have to build it up yourself, but it's still a very similar system underneath, and if you quit being a little whiny expletive and just follow the guide to build it it's not that hard. So yeah.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

surlent stop turning the boards into dmxz
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

I always avoided the MZX group because they weirded me out, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

He's pointing out that a conversation about ZZT and how school teachers are stupid suddenly turned into an in-depth discussion about Linux.

http://gbelo.org/ircman/index.php?func= ... m=&id=2586
http://gbelo.org/ircman/index.php?func= ... &m=&id=640

Now, some second-hand Linux info:
What I've heard is that Ubuntu and Debian are pretty much the same, but Ubuntu has better support for stuff like laptop drivers -- it's easier to get all your hardware up and running with Ubuntu. On the other hand, if you want a solid Linux server, Debian's a better choice, because they value taking their time and doing things right over "quick let's get this good-enough patch out the door".
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

Ah, gotcha.

And yeah, from what I've seen, that seems like a pretty fair assessment. Ubuntu really tries, but sometimes they settle for "good enough" to make things go out the door at the promised time, with exactly one exception in their history, where it was bad enough to where they pushed it back a couple months, whereas Debian has a strong focus on stability and whatnot but often has outdated default packages because of that (unless you're using Testing, or for the especially gutsy, Unstable).

I guess we've about worn this topic out. Time to give poor Commodore a break.