What aren't you working on anymore?

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

What aren't you working on anymore?

Post by Dr. Dos »

Because maybe good ZZT games aren't being finished, but are still being started.

DungeOWN of ZZT
Sequel to Own of ZZT, except Dungeons (and the other worlds) are more action oriented than Town and have a lot less to make them interesting like Own. I did decide that it would be neat to have the player start with all 7 keys for no real reason, and then have every white door replaced with a white key and white key with a white door. I just liked the idea of having to find the five purple doors to escape.

Fuzzy Love Horror 2
Sequel to Fuzzy Love Horror but this time not a cinema. It was going to be a resident evil style game where you went into a mansion and stuff. Also intended to be like RE by having a choice of playing as Kjorteo or Nedemai.

?+DEBUG
You'd play as a master thief who attempted to steal the legendary cheats of ZZT, but got caught. The guards seeing Ammo, Gems, Torches, Gems, Time, Flag, -Dark, and Health were all there proceeded to throw you into a dungeon. Not noticing that you had actually taken the unloved ?+Debug. The game worked by using the debug code (well ?+d to save typing) to bring up a list of every (within reason) object on the board and hyperlinks to a copy of its code.

The puzzles would be solved by analyzing the code to purposely find bugs that could be exploiting allowing you to escape. The test level in the screenshot has you escape the cell by rattling on the doors enough to summon the guard who will kill you, but by rattling again he repeats his movements and jams on a wall due to using / for movement instead of ? allowing you to escape.
Last edited by Dr. Dos on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Re: What aren't you working on anymore?

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

Dr. Dos wrote: ?+DEBUG
You'd play as a master thief who attempted to steal the legendary cheats of ZZT, but got caught. The guards seeing Ammo, Gems, Torches, Gems, Time, Flag, -Dark, and Health were all there proceeded to throw you into a dungeon. Not noticing that you had actually taken the unloved ?+Debug. The game worked by using the debug code (well ?+d to save typing) to bring up a list of every (within reason) object on the board and hyperlinks to a copy of its code.

The puzzles would be solved by analyzing the code to purposely find bugs that could be exploiting allowing you to escape. The test level in the screenshot has you escape the cell by rattling on the doors enough to summon the guard who will kill you, but by rattling again he repeats his movements and jams on a wall due to using / for movement instead of ? allowing you to escape.
I would SO play that.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

me too, that sounds great
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

+1 2 abuv poasts
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

Someone get this man some stimulants or a motivational speaker.

edit: I meant to come up with a clever way of saying "it would be really cool if that last game was salvaged from lethargy!", but I'm more Dutch than clever and it's hard not to come across sarcastic on z2.

The idea for the last game is really cool. What made you give it up?
My waste is my weapon.
Dr. Dos

Post by Dr. Dos »

It's pretty hard to come up with puzzles for it.
Visit the Museum of ZZT

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

i can imagine that would be the case. it would be a fair way to do instant #endgames though if you could see them. but I imagine that would only be one board.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
asiekierka
YAHOO: ALL YOUR GEOCITIES ARE BELONG TO US

Post by asiekierka »

I am not working on some games anymore too!

AiL ZZT (1st half of 2008)

Yes, it's the classic MZX series, AiL, on ZZT!
The plot is basically asie was enjoying his birthday when everything grayed out, blah, blah, blah.
The intro was innovative, as it used invisible passages, invisible duplicators and PLAYER CLONES. Yay.

Also, i had other unfinished projects such as:
a bitchanger implementation (smaller bf with 6 commands only)
a move creation tool
asiecrop, a cinema
etc...

EDIT: added the image
Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

Post by Scribbit »

some more puzzles for +debug (because that would be awesome, man!)
-find the one fake wall in a maze of dead ends.
-cause an object to #restore commented-out code to open a gate.
-find out what 8-letter flag must be set in the cheat box to make an object think you have an item.
-shoot a looping object that should have been #locked but wasn't.
-an object paces left and right, changing tiles as it goes. Interrupt it to make it #put a fake over a solid.
-come up with a reason that you would WANT a certain runtime error, then mess with scrolls and player clones to try to create it. Or, fill a board with runtime-error bombs, and try to avoid setting them off.
-cheat on one of those annoying instant-kill trivia quizzes, just for the satisfaction of it (because I bet everyone hates those things by now).
-Enjoy some cliches from an outdated era of games (crowbar, slider puzzle, and an unrelated toilet).
-exploit a "testing sequence" from a custom help file.
-Read a secret message from the creator, inserted into an object that usually doesn't have code (or the seemingly-unrelated toilet).
-deactivate cheat-sensors to get powers back, using each new cheat to get somewhere previously inaccessable (keys to clear a door with no key, health to walk over a series of mines, ammo to clear a breakable wall, -dark to see the inner workings of a Bank-style password system, and eventually the powerful zap to destroy an otherwise-unopenable wall and fight some sort of anti-cheat boss).
-return from the dead to defeat a gloating final boss.

You need more? I can make more puzzles like these. I'm just curious whether the debug menu would have to be simulated or if an older version of ZZT actually tells you the objects' code when you use +debug.
I'm nupanick.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I don't think the +debug cheat ever displayed code -- that's just artistic license on Dr. Dos's part.
Dr. Dos

Post by Dr. Dos »

Nupanick wrote:some more puzzles for +debug (because that would be awesome, man!)
-find the one fake wall in a maze of dead ends.
This has nothing to do with objects.
-cause an object to #restore commented-out code to open a gate.
-find out what 8-letter flag must be set in the cheat box to make an object think you have an item.
-cheat on one of those annoying instant-kill trivia quizzes, just for the satisfaction of it (because I bet everyone hates those things by now).
This is the kind of stuff that's easy to think up, but is literally just reading a single line of code.
-shoot a looping object that should have been #locked but wasn't.
This one is valid, but on it's own fairly simple.
-an object paces left and right, changing tiles as it goes. Interrupt it to make it #put a fake over a solid.
This doesn't really work because I wanted these objects to act just like regular objects and not seem to be designed with viewable code in mind. Things like that don't seem like objects you'd see in another game.
-come up with a reason that you would WANT a certain runtime error, then mess with scrolls and player clones to try to create it. Or, fill a board with runtime-error bombs, and try to avoid setting them off.
I did a better version of this with the Rube Board in Own of ZZT.
-Enjoy some cliches from an outdated era of games (crowbar, slider puzzle, and an unrelated toilet).
What
-exploit a "testing sequence" from a custom help file.
Not sure what you mean by this. I know about custom help files but I know they can't do anything but display messages. While !1; CLICK HERE is valid in the official help files, custom ones do nothing with hyperlinks.
-Read a secret message from the creator, inserted into an object that usually doesn't have code (or the seemingly-unrelated toilet).
Pointless due to the menu listing the name of all the objects.
-deactivate cheat-sensors to get powers back, using each new cheat to get somewhere previously inaccessable (keys to clear a door with no key, health to walk over a series of mines, ammo to clear a breakable wall, -dark to see the inner workings of a Bank-style password system, and eventually the powerful zap to destroy an otherwise-unopenable wall and fight some sort of anti-cheat boss).
These aren't too bad. I thought it might be interesting to get more cheats as you moved on, or even ZZT-OOP commands. Being able to do things like #send any label to an object. The problem with that is that it's really easy to actually break instead of just pretend to break.
-return from the dead to defeat a gloating final boss.
I do like this one.
You need more? I can make more puzzles like these. I'm just curious whether the debug menu would have to be simulated or if an older version of ZZT actually tells you the objects' code when you use +debug.
I used file reading and storing the object's code in text files. There was some minor editing but offhand I don't recall what I actually did tweak.

I did work on it a little bit more after seeing the positive reception this thread gave it.

http://zzt.org/dr_dos/plusdebug.zip
Visit the Museum of ZZT

Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

unrelated toilet :tie:

Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

Fuzzy Love Horror 2 sounds awesome especially because of playable Kjorteo

This must see the light of day, I would be sad otherwise :sadness:
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
Kjorteo
^o.O^

Post by Kjorteo »

Anyway, I don't have a lot to add to a "what games have you given up on" thread, because the only one I really have under development at the moment is Adventure of Sam which I STILL HAVEN'T GIVEN UP ON YET GODDAMNIT >:( In fact, I just hit the point where it's too big to actually run anymore, so I need to code in a graceful transition/segue message and add some optional author commentary and stuff and world 1 will be done!
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

nobody seriously expects you to finish that game by now, surely

it's been like four years now

(not that i'm one to talk, seeing the amount of dithering it took before finally starting a webcomic)