z2

I agree. Take me to the spicy page.
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:35 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:54 am 
Offline
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:11 am
Posts: 1743
Location: scabsboro
Because maybe good ZZT games aren't being finished, but are still being started.

DungeOWN of ZZT
Image
Sequel to Own of ZZT, except Dungeons (and the other worlds) are more action oriented than Town and have a lot less to make them interesting like Own. I did decide that it would be neat to have the player start with all 7 keys for no real reason, and then have every white door replaced with a white key and white key with a white door. I just liked the idea of having to find the five purple doors to escape.

Fuzzy Love Horror 2
Image
Sequel to Fuzzy Love Horror but this time not a cinema. It was going to be a resident evil style game where you went into a mansion and stuff. Also intended to be like RE by having a choice of playing as Kjorteo or Nedemai.

?+DEBUG
Image
You'd play as a master thief who attempted to steal the legendary cheats of ZZT, but got caught. The guards seeing Ammo, Gems, Torches, Gems, Time, Flag, -Dark, and Health were all there proceeded to throw you into a dungeon. Not noticing that you had actually taken the unloved ?+Debug. The game worked by using the debug code (well ?+d to save typing) to bring up a list of every (within reason) object on the board and hyperlinks to a copy of its code.

The puzzles would be solved by analyzing the code to purposely find bugs that could be exploiting allowing you to escape. The test level in the screenshot has you escape the cell by rattling on the doors enough to summon the guard who will kill you, but by rattling again he repeats his movements and jams on a wall due to using / for movement instead of ? allowing you to escape.

_________________
<asgromo> Dr Dos; What is this monstrocity?
<Spectere> Aura 2
<asgromo> This thread is useless... I'll just... read the Featured Games article.
<asgromo> ... I'll just look for boners.


Last edited by Dr. Dos on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:56 pm 
Offline
We must invent teleportation!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:35 pm
Posts: 718
Location: Idaho, Wisconsin
Dr. Dos wrote:
?+DEBUG
Image
You'd play as a master thief who attempted to steal the legendary cheats of ZZT, but got caught. The guards seeing Ammo, Gems, Torches, Gems, Time, Flag, -Dark, and Health were all there proceeded to throw you into a dungeon. Not noticing that you had actually taken the unloved ?+Debug. The game worked by using the debug code (well ?+d to save typing) to bring up a list of every (within reason) object on the board and hyperlinks to a copy of its code.

The puzzles would be solved by analyzing the code to purposely find bugs that could be exploiting allowing you to escape. The test level in the screenshot has you escape the cell by rattling on the doors enough to summon the guard who will kill you, but by rattling again he repeats his movements and jams on a wall due to using / for movement instead of ? allowing you to escape.


I would SO play that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:00 am 
Offline
fgsdfs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:44 pm
Posts: 2423
Location: :noitacoL
me too, that sounds great

_________________
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:11 am 
Offline
this is my hammer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:40 am
Posts: 2767
Location: between the black and white spiders
+1 2 abuv poasts

_________________
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:33 pm 
Offline
gore Arnold
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:53 pm
Posts: 250
Location: Burning Oak retirement facility
Someone get this man some stimulants or a motivational speaker.


edit: I meant to come up with a clever way of saying "it would be really cool if that last game was salvaged from lethargy!", but I'm more Dutch than clever and it's hard not to come across sarcastic on z2.

The idea for the last game is really cool. What made you give it up?

_________________
My waste is my weapon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:23 pm 
Offline
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:11 am
Posts: 1743
Location: scabsboro
It's pretty hard to come up with puzzles for it.

_________________
<asgromo> Dr Dos; What is this monstrocity?
<Spectere> Aura 2
<asgromo> This thread is useless... I'll just... read the Featured Games article.
<asgromo> ... I'll just look for boners.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:14 pm 
Offline
fgsdfs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:44 pm
Posts: 2423
Location: :noitacoL
i can imagine that would be the case. it would be a fair way to do instant #endgames though if you could see them. but I imagine that would only be one board.

_________________
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:43 pm 
Offline
YAHOO: ALL YOUR GEOCITIES ARE BELONG TO US
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:06 am
Posts: 223
I am not working on some games anymore too!

AiL ZZT (1st half of 2008)
Image

Yes, it's the classic MZX series, AiL, on ZZT!
The plot is basically asie was enjoying his birthday when everything grayed out, blah, blah, blah.
The intro was innovative, as it used invisible passages, invisible duplicators and PLAYER CLONES. Yay.

Also, i had other unfinished projects such as:
a bitchanger implementation (smaller bf with 6 commands only)
a move creation tool
asiecrop, a cinema
etc...

EDIT: added the image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:34 pm 
Offline
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 543
some more puzzles for +debug (because that would be awesome, man!)
-find the one fake wall in a maze of dead ends.
-cause an object to #restore commented-out code to open a gate.
-find out what 8-letter flag must be set in the cheat box to make an object think you have an item.
-shoot a looping object that should have been #locked but wasn't.
-an object paces left and right, changing tiles as it goes. Interrupt it to make it #put a fake over a solid.
-come up with a reason that you would WANT a certain runtime error, then mess with scrolls and player clones to try to create it. Or, fill a board with runtime-error bombs, and try to avoid setting them off.
-cheat on one of those annoying instant-kill trivia quizzes, just for the satisfaction of it (because I bet everyone hates those things by now).
-Enjoy some cliches from an outdated era of games (crowbar, slider puzzle, and an unrelated toilet).
-exploit a "testing sequence" from a custom help file.
-Read a secret message from the creator, inserted into an object that usually doesn't have code (or the seemingly-unrelated toilet).
-deactivate cheat-sensors to get powers back, using each new cheat to get somewhere previously inaccessable (keys to clear a door with no key, health to walk over a series of mines, ammo to clear a breakable wall, -dark to see the inner workings of a Bank-style password system, and eventually the powerful zap to destroy an otherwise-unopenable wall and fight some sort of anti-cheat boss).
-return from the dead to defeat a gloating final boss.

You need more? I can make more puzzles like these. I'm just curious whether the debug menu would have to be simulated or if an older version of ZZT actually tells you the objects' code when you use +debug.

_________________
I'm nupanick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:59 pm 
Offline
Level 17 Accordion Thief
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:41 am
Posts: 1423
Location: Edmonds, WA
I don't think the +debug cheat ever displayed code -- that's just artistic license on Dr. Dos's part.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:41 am 
Offline
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:11 am
Posts: 1743
Location: scabsboro
Nupanick wrote:
some more puzzles for +debug (because that would be awesome, man!)
-find the one fake wall in a maze of dead ends.


This has nothing to do with objects.

Quote:
-cause an object to #restore commented-out code to open a gate.
-find out what 8-letter flag must be set in the cheat box to make an object think you have an item.
-cheat on one of those annoying instant-kill trivia quizzes, just for the satisfaction of it (because I bet everyone hates those things by now).



This is the kind of stuff that's easy to think up, but is literally just reading a single line of code.

Quote:
-shoot a looping object that should have been #locked but wasn't.


This one is valid, but on it's own fairly simple.

Quote:
-an object paces left and right, changing tiles as it goes. Interrupt it to make it #put a fake over a solid.


This doesn't really work because I wanted these objects to act just like regular objects and not seem to be designed with viewable code in mind. Things like that don't seem like objects you'd see in another game.

Quote:
-come up with a reason that you would WANT a certain runtime error, then mess with scrolls and player clones to try to create it. Or, fill a board with runtime-error bombs, and try to avoid setting them off.


I did a better version of this with the Rube Board in Own of ZZT.

Quote:
-Enjoy some cliches from an outdated era of games (crowbar, slider puzzle, and an unrelated toilet).


What

Quote:
-exploit a "testing sequence" from a custom help file.


Not sure what you mean by this. I know about custom help files but I know they can't do anything but display messages. While !1; CLICK HERE is valid in the official help files, custom ones do nothing with hyperlinks.

Quote:
-Read a secret message from the creator, inserted into an object that usually doesn't have code (or the seemingly-unrelated toilet).


Pointless due to the menu listing the name of all the objects.

Quote:
-deactivate cheat-sensors to get powers back, using each new cheat to get somewhere previously inaccessable (keys to clear a door with no key, health to walk over a series of mines, ammo to clear a breakable wall, -dark to see the inner workings of a Bank-style password system, and eventually the powerful zap to destroy an otherwise-unopenable wall and fight some sort of anti-cheat boss).

These aren't too bad. I thought it might be interesting to get more cheats as you moved on, or even ZZT-OOP commands. Being able to do things like #send any label to an object. The problem with that is that it's really easy to actually break instead of just pretend to break.

Quote:
-return from the dead to defeat a gloating final boss.


I do like this one.

Quote:
You need more? I can make more puzzles like these. I'm just curious whether the debug menu would have to be simulated or if an older version of ZZT actually tells you the objects' code when you use +debug.


I used file reading and storing the object's code in text files. There was some minor editing but offhand I don't recall what I actually did tweak.

I did work on it a little bit more after seeing the positive reception this thread gave it.

http://zzt.org/dr_dos/plusdebug.zip

_________________
<asgromo> Dr Dos; What is this monstrocity?
<Spectere> Aura 2
<asgromo> This thread is useless... I'll just... read the Featured Games article.
<asgromo> ... I'll just look for boners.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:54 am 
Offline
this is my hammer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:40 am
Posts: 2767
Location: between the black and white spiders
unrelated toilet :tie:

_________________
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:47 pm 
Offline
^o.O^
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:59 am
Posts: 432
Location: Kjorteoville or something
Fuzzy Love Horror 2 sounds awesome especially because of playable Kjorteo

This must see the light of day, I would be sad otherwise :sadness:

_________________
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:49 pm 
Offline
^o.O^
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:59 am
Posts: 432
Location: Kjorteoville or something
Anyway, I don't have a lot to add to a "what games have you given up on" thread, because the only one I really have under development at the moment is Adventure of Sam which I STILL HAVEN'T GIVEN UP ON YET GODDAMNIT >:( In fact, I just hit the point where it's too big to actually run anymore, so I need to code in a graceful transition/segue message and add some optional author commentary and stuff and world 1 will be done!

_________________
"You're alive," said the maker, and smiled at the aardvark.

<Kjorteo> "yiff"
<gbelo> Wanna yiff.
<Kjorteo> yes
<gbelo> No no no.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:57 pm 
Offline
this is my hammer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:40 am
Posts: 2767
Location: between the black and white spiders
nobody seriously expects you to finish that game by now, surely

it's been like four years now

(not that i'm one to talk, seeing the amount of dithering it took before finally starting a webcomic)

_________________
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group