Mario Brothers ZZT in progress

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Jern
#send you:youstink

Mario Brothers ZZT in progress

Post by Jern »

The game I am currently working on is Mario Brothers ZZT, and it should be my first to contribute to the community.
It will of course be side scrolling, so expect a bugs-o-rama, unless I can help it!

NOTICE: The only reason I'm naming it Mario Brothers is because you place as Mario and Luigi. It is not necessarily based on the Mario Bros. game, it's just Mario-themed, using common Mario elements. (I have actually never played any NES Mario games. So sue me.)

Current notable features:
~Alternate between Mario and Luigi at any* time at any* place.
~Ability to enter warp pipes. (Which will lead to "Secret" levels)
~Enemies ranging from piranha pants to goombas to... uh, I'm not sure what they're called... those birds that poop on you.
~3** worlds, 4** regular levels and a boss level in each**, and that's not counting secrets.
~Ground-pound (Or butt-blast, whatever).
And, of course the Mario necessities like coins, question blocks, lava, etc.

Possible features:
Post your suggestions!

Planned, but failed features:
~Wall-jump. (Loosing that really stank... It would have added crap-loads to game play.)
EDIT: Wall-jump is now an action, but it's rather awkward looking.

*Haha, nah, I'm joking. Only available in most places.
**Subject to change, depending on how lazy I become or if I run out of ideas.

Screenshots will be posted when I begin creating the levels, which will be when I perfect, and I use that word loosely of course, the engine and features.

So, any suggestions?
Last edited by Jern on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jern

Post by Jern »

I have a question that will have an impact on the game's graphics.
Does a cyan solid-fakes exist?
I need them for the sky background, and I tried dark-cyan solid-fakes, but they make the game look gloomy. Right now, I'm using the normal cyan fakes with dark-cyan background, and it's okay, I guess, but I'd rather have cyan solid-fakes.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

light colours can not be a background color without the external program blinkx. try cyan on dark cyan. or maybe dark blue on dark blue though that might be a little too dark as well, but would certainly be less gloomy then the greyish dark cyan.

Also I assume the player can't jump super high, so you might be able to get away with a fade to light cyan. Where it won't matter what type of blocks are at that height, since you can't go through them.

Also maybe plan for some sunset levels or night levels or levels inside things.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Jern

Post by Jern »

Dang...

Dark blue is already being used for the border and such. (Like in the Encyclopedia's example)

Evening and night levels are a go.
Also I assume the player can't jump super high, so you might be able to get away with a fade to light cyan. Where it won't matter what type of blocks are at that height, since you can't go through them.
What? I don't quite understand.
I believe the player can jump 4 blocks.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I believe what he means is this:

And, as was mentioned earlier, there is a tool called blinkx that messes around with graphics modes before ZZT runs and allows you to have light cyan on light cyan fakes. More specifically, it causes blinking light cyan on dark cyan to look like light cyan on light cyan.
Jern

Post by Jern »

Ah, I see.
Well, Probably won't work because the player will be moving jumping up on to platforms above ground.

Now sure about the blinkx thing... Where can I find it?

Also, I've run into another problem. I decided to re-visit the wall-jump feature, and I was able to get it to work, for most part, but not that well.

I wanted the player to move diagnoally, so I used the code from the encyclopedia, but the object acts very irregularly after the wall-jump has been preformed.
So instead, I replaced the "#walk n" with a "/n". It works fine, except, the object moves slowly and it looks very... lame. Like this:

|---->^|
|-->^--|
|>^----|
|-------|

While I would like it to be like this:
|--->|
|-->-|
|>---|
|-----|
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

#walk and / are two pretty different things. #walk is like an on/off switch. if you do #walk n the object will take a step north every cycle until you tell it to idle with #walk i. If while walking you then do a /w or #go w (same thing) It'll take two steps in the same cycle, one to the north, and one to the west, giving the illusion of moving diagonally. so even though it looks like its moving diagonally, it's not really.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

You really should play the Mario Brothers games for the NES. If not for the sake of this game, then for the sake of your own peace of mind.
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
Shadow Mage
Naked Zombie Sean Connery

Post by Shadow Mage »

As I remember in kev edit, you could probably have kind of a cyan colored fake with a cyan background. Might not give the effect you want though. But its an option.
Meh, can't beleive how little I come to these forums now.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Jern wrote:Dang...

Dark blue is already being used for the border and such. (Like in the Encyclopedia's example)
What? I don't quite understand.
I believe the player can jump 4 blocks.
I also recommended BlinkX for this to make a ''Lite blue,''.

And I am also hacking ZZT to an enhancement. Noticeably the border and the added support of more colors and making the original, crappy editor disabled.

BTW: Someone should make a tutorial on how to build Kevedit in MinGW.

@Dr. Dos: You forgot to mention the UPAL palette editor in your article.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

UPal wasn't on z2 when I wrote it!
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Smilymzx
I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!

Post by Smilymzx »

Dr. Dos wrote:UPal wasn't on z2 when I wrote it!
Okay, I understand now.
superbowl shuffle
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by superbowl shuffle »

Cyan fake with a cyan background? Like, light cyan on light cyan?

Also, the original, crappy editor is awesome. I cannot accept its removal!
[size=75:lh51rn9h][b:lh51rn9h]When the 5 o'clock whistle blows, so do I.[/b:lh51rn9h]
[/size:lh51rn9h]
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

Seriously, Kevedit is bullshit. The built in editor is where it's at.