Portal in ZZT,

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

i FOUND A BACKUP!

Post by Scribbit »

I found an old backup. It still has the menu and the first two levels, but the status bar is the old one on the left of the screen. I tried importing the new status bar but that seemed to corrupt it again. I'll try re-making the status bar. Oh, and I should make a blank board for those interested in making their own levels. I've done all the code, the old portal design works fine, it'd just be nice if someone else helped with some of the design. I might work in a plot, but there can still be a few random levels with no relevance whatsoever. In fact, with the current portal code being direction-unspecific, I could make a level where the exit side of a portal changes when a button is pressed. I could do a lot of things in ZZT that would be tacky in a high-graphics game. Any thoughts on changing the portals to Red and Blue?
I'm nupanick.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

red and blue is good. though yellow and blue wouldn't be terrible.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Scribbit

Not like it matters a lot...

Post by Scribbit »

Anything with color contrast is good. I like the way the blue and yellow look, personally. Although if there were issues with #put s later, I could switch to red.
I'm nupanick.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Are your boards large enough that they're nearly 20k in size? Corruption really shouldn't be happening and never does unless you hit thesize limit.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

15 is a safe compromise though I have violated this rule on occasion.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I like yellow and blue. But if you want a good orange color, there's a program called UPAL.EXE, which can be used to change the default text colors prior to running ZZT.
Scribbit

BIG IMPORTANT THING CONCERNING PORTALZZT!

Post by Scribbit »

Well, it's been a while since I had any new ideas on how to improve the system. I think I'll take that non-corrupted version I found backed up on the really old computer here, make a few more levels for it, and call it a game. The fact is, I'm starting to drift away from this project. I want to finish it, but if I don't make some serious progress soon, it's going to wind up a forgotten fancy. Any new level designs or ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm posting the uncorrupted file. I'm taking out the speech and status bars for now, they were more trouble than they were worth and I need to finish this. If anyone would like to add those they can.

Here's the file, thinned and uncorrupted.
http://zzt.org/upload//PortalZZT_v0_021.zip

summary: If you have any additions/suggestions, send them to me. I'm starting to get distracted and want to finish this before I forget about it completely.

EDIT: I think I might make it a bit farther. I finished level 2 and am starting level 3, also I took a hint from the Developer's Commentary in Portal and added some simple hints in the form of pictures, rather than being wordy and trying to describe everything at the start of the level. I still would like level suggestions, I want to get rolling before I try to tackle the box problem again.

Here's the file with Level 2 and the new, improved hint-boxes!
http://zzt.org/upload//PortalZZT_v0_03.zip

So, again: If you have any level or design suggestions, send them on! And if a level was difficult, tell me why. I might need to fix a hint-box to make the early puzzles less overwhelming. My email is:

nupa<a href="http://mailhide.recaptcha.net/d?k=01RWX ... BngnZxpDM=" title="Reveal this e-mail address">...</a>@gmail.com

because there might be some spammers that still scan z2. Gmail's spam filter is nice, I've heard... but still. That, and I think those distorted word puzzles are kinda fun!
asiekierka
YAHOO: ALL YOUR GEOCITIES ARE BELONG TO US

Post by asiekierka »

My email is
(subject name here)sie<word "token"'s 3rd letter here)(the first letters of words of the Microsoft's browser)(first letter of "reality")ka@(first letter of the world "google")(last letter of the world "spam")ail.(first letter of the word "crappy")om
Last edited by asiekierka on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

A brilliant addition to a truly fascinating forum topic - thank you!
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Well, with all the Portal references Asie's been dropping lately, I think it makes sense. Also, I like using my brain to decipher email rebuses (although rebuses usually have pictures. Rebuses? Rebi? Rebisses?).
I'm nupanick.
asiekierka
YAHOO: ALL YOUR GEOCITIES ARE BELONG TO US

Post by asiekierka »

Nupanick wrote:Well, with all the Portal references Asie's been dropping lately, I think it makes sense. Also, I like using my brain to decipher email rebuses (although rebuses usually have pictures. Rebuses? Rebi? Rebisses?).
This is all a clue...
This clue's answer is worth more than every computer in <Nupanick's hometown here>
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

[first letter of a noble gas known for glowing when an electric current passes through it][middle third of another word for "dumb"][first quarter of the fourth word of the title of a recent poll concerning a number of members of "tha forum"][final 3/4 of a word meaning "to strike with one's foot."][final 10 characters of Asiekierka's email address, above.]
I'm nupanick.