Portal in ZZT,

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

you can break the portal if after touching it you move in a direction that the player clone is blocked in (if you can move that way) That is in the beginning you can make the two portals appear, then touch the right one and make the player clone appear, then move up. The player clone will then not be destroyed. I was going to suggest using (#if contact) but that probably responds to player clones (not sure, never tried) so it would make it hard to do.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Scribbit
is keeping the new avatar, thanks.

Nice point

Post by Scribbit »

Actually, I don't think the player clone sets Contact. I think that's what causes the error, my #if not contact statement. This is why I slipped in that otherwise ambiguous line, "The portal is safe as long as you do not reenter before it clears its residue," Because trying to re-enter or back out would likely be the source of some errors. One possible solution is to surround all portal-able locations with walls so the player can't break it, but at any rate a ?zap (or as Dos pointed put, a pause-and-shoot) will destroy the clone and make the portal usable.
Incidentally, since I'm copying a large object all over the board anyway, maybe I should go ahead and make multiple, smaller objects that only open in one direction. I could keep their basic code the same so they would work with each other and the all-in-one's I'm using now. If I decide it fits the gameplay, I might even use a portal that opens all four ways to give a "prismatic" effect in shooting rooms. Did you know I made it so you can shoot through portals?

EDIT: Hey, I just had a great idea! You know that status bar in LTS? Maybe I could make one of those for portal, and pretty things up a bit. But not too much, or I'd lose that cold, metal atmosphere I'm going for.
I'm nupanick.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

not if you make it look like metal

examples:

*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

How about one of these styles?

I have to admit here I've never played the original Portal. I'm saving up for it, does anyone here know if it retails by itself or if I need to get it through either the Orange Box or Steam? And for that matter, if you have played it, can you tell me how much you liked it?
I'm nupanick.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i think you have to buy it with the orange box, or get it through steam...

orange box seems like a pretty good deal if you've not played half-life before, it's four games for £35 in britainland and probably the dollar equivalent or less in america, where everything is cheaper

i've been toying with buying it myself, actually, everyone loves half-life and portal is supposed to be one of the most innovative games of 2007

oh yeah, and regards the screenshot, i like #2 and #3 best
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Schroedingers Cat
We must invent teleportation!

Post by Schroedingers Cat »

#2 is queen of the jellybean, if you know what I mean.
Scribbit

No, I don't.

Post by Scribbit »

I don't, in fact, know what "Queen of the Jellybean" means any more than the last few times I saw it. I am also not aware of the origins of "YAY SRIS" or "what a bunch of dobermans." or even what "#rawr" is. These phrases plague me when I play games made by the regulars and cameos. This may be a good thing, because it means that I am a relatively new ZZTer which means that in some respects ZZT is still accessible to newbies and first-timers.

And about getting portal through steam, I've considered it, and while I don't play a lot of video games(and of what I do, I don't usually like FPSs) I might consider getting the Orange Box set if I can afford it. I met someone today who'd bought the Orange Box set and he said he'd actually never got around to installing Portal. Maybe I should give Half-Life a look, maybe not all FPSs are just about shock value.

But that's a rant for another forum, I'm sure. does anyone else have ideas regarding the weighted cube problem? I considered breakables or scrolls, those can be destroyed by the player and [#put] by objects. Again, though, it would be nice to find something that doesn't destroy floor tiles.

P.S. Oh, yeah, I looked it up and the Orange Box deal is around $50 U.S. Not as much as if you were getting Half Life 2, both episodes for it, and portal separately, but more than if you were only going to play one or two of the games.
I'm nupanick.
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

I got the orange box for Christmas for Portal, then I got hooked on Team Fortress 2 so that alone equaled the price of those 2 games alone on steam.

And since I was having fun with Valve products I shelled out the $10 on HL1:Source so I could play that before HL2.

It's a really good value.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Re: No, I don't.

Post by Commodore »

Nupanick wrote:I don't, in fact, know what "Queen of the Jellybean" means any more than the last few times I saw it. I am also not aware of the origins of "YAY SRIS" or "what a bunch of dobermans." or even what "#rawr" is. These phrases plague me when I play games made by the regulars and cameos. This may be a good thing, because it means that I am a relatively new ZZTer which means that in some respects ZZT is still accessible to newbies and first-timers.
these are things the zzt wiki can help you with
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Scribbit

Kinds Sorta Maybe...

Post by Scribbit »

Okay, I found "Queen Jellybean." It sounds like Something Awful. No matches for "SRIS" though. I'm going to try splitting up portals with [#bind]ing tricks, then any object could just [#bind blueportal] or something and intercept the player, like in the early levels of Valve's Portal where you don't control both colors.

And now I must have some fun with Queen Jellybean.
I'm nupanick.
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

YAY SIRS and OHH DEAR are remnants from the FISHIG trend that was popular several years ago, and dying out by around 2001-2002. First invented in the 24 Hours of ZZT game "Hallucina", by Fishfood and Lord Igsel (hence 'Fishig'), it consists of typing in all caps like a blithering ninny. BEACUSE TYTPING LIIKE THIS IS OSO FUNNNIEIK!!!!1 ...only even worse than that. YAY SIRS and OHH DEAR were used in Hallucina to indicate 'Yes' and 'No' in menus; my guess is that nothing turned up in your search for YAY SIRS because this was one of the few instances where FISHIG consistantly spelt something correctly.

#rawr was the main chatroom for ZZTers from roughly 2003-2007. We've since moved on to #idiots-club I think.

'What a bunch of dobermans' or whatever was something that former ZZTer Tseng said back in the day. He did the Gem Hunter games and some other things that were popular in their time but aren't worth mentioning now.

NOW THE TRIVIA OF OUR PAST IS STUCK IN YOUR BRAIN FOREVER HAR HAR
Scribbit

Post by Scribbit »

Zandor 12 wrote: NOW THE TRIVIA OF OUR PAST IS STUCK IN YOUR BRAIN FOREVER HAR HAR
Actually, that's good news. Anyone who's known me a while knows I love learning the insane history of memes and old games and reciting it at people. Example: Icehouse, the game. Started by Andrew Looney(real name) as a plot device for his book "The Empty City," It now has a fanbase and over 100 sibling games that use the same pieces. I could go on much longer but then someone'd probably have to move the thread.

You might know Looney as the founder of Looney Labs and the inventor of Fluxx.

EDIT: Update! I uploaded PORTALZZT version 0.02. It has an additional level and the status bars.
As of today (01/29/08) it resides in the file bin.
http://zzt.org/upload//PORTALZZT_0_02.zip

Y'know, I think I should take a hint from Flash Portal (the other 2D version, a platformer as opposed to top-down). Since there are obviously some things that can be done in 3D but not in 2D, I should look for things to add that work well in 2D. The multiple switches and shooting through portals in my new level, test01, look like a start.

I'm nupanick.
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

Since you made four sidebars, it would be neat to rotate through them as you switch boards. (Worry about that after you've gotten the game working though.)
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

I FELL OVER
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Scribbit

WTF?

Post by Scribbit »

Zenith Nadir wrote:I FELL OVER
What? Did I mess something up? Camera-binding run-time error? Or just you being weird? I don't have a problem with weird.
*defensively* I'm here, right? I don't have a problem with weird! I just don't get the reference! That's all!

EDIT: I felt that GLaDOS was interrupting the gameplay too much. Who reads those scrolling blue text boxes (besides me on a good day)? I was going to make a small bottom line scroller and discovered quickly that even with copy and paste, I would be doing about one line for each letter of the message. Does anyone know of a program to convert text to ZZT marquee? If not, I'll probably write one and take more time than using copy/paste would.
Nah, it wouldn't take that long. It's too bad the only real programming language I know is Java, but I can probably do it in that. If I finish without putting the game itself on hold, that'll be awesome.

Oh, and weird idea: has anyone ever tried to harvest the Beaners' threads for public announcements? Before the nice pretty main page, I mean.
Last edited by Scribbit on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm nupanick.