Binders Keepers Losers Weepers

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Binders Keepers Losers Weepers

Post by Dr. Dos »

So at like 4AM I couldn't sleep and decided to bore myself to sleep by thinking of a solution to the whole Can't have a bunch of objects #bind an object that take multiple shots since every object winds up #zapping :shot at once.

So here's a solution.

This board has max objects and is only 8K.

It's not perfect but it works.

http://zzt.org/dr_dos/temp/BindersK.zzt

Edit: Removed some objects so you can have bullets on the screen.
Last edited by Dr. Dos on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

after i fire the first bullet that makes contact my bullets stop showing up, what in the hell!
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

that's clever

whenever i tried to bind things more than once, zzt always gave me runtime errors. this works fine though
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Very clever indeed! #bind is one of the more powerful commands, yet most people don't use it as part of a larger program.

You know what would be cool? If, when an enemy took damage, there'd be a chance he'd mutate into a different kind of enemy. This would lend itself well to games like Aura, where there's (1) several different distinct types of enemy, and (2) different strategies for dealing with each enemy type.
Shadow Mage
Naked Zombie Sean Connery

Post by Shadow Mage »

3 actually, you can die, change your color, change your color again, change you color again, revive yourself, move to a different part of the board, start all over. Kill every enemy on the board. =D
Meh, can't beleive how little I come to these forums now.
Dr. Dos

Post by Dr. Dos »

Quantum P. wrote:Very clever indeed! #bind is one of the more powerful commands, yet most people don't use it as part of a larger program.

You know what would be cool? If, when an enemy took damage, there'd be a chance he'd mutate into a different kind of enemy. This would lend itself well to games like Aura, where there's (1) several different distinct types of enemy, and (2) different strategies for dealing with each enemy type.
I was thinking of actually doing this, but then I realized that would involve making a serious ZZT game and fuck that.
Visit the Museum of ZZT

Saxxon
the Gargoyle.

Post by Saxxon »

This is pretty sweet. The reason you can't do it with just one set of code is because if an object #binds, it merely sets itself to point to the original object's code instead of duplicating it. Meaning if you zap a label, that applies to all the objects sharing that code. (internally, this is done by setting "code length" for the object to a negative number which tells us which object it is #binding)

I think I may use this. Thanks :)
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

Be fore warned this doesn't alway works, mainly if your code is too long. Those codes are short and it doesn't trigger a glitch that's within zzt itself. If the first bind is inactive(not moving) and the second bind is active, then it will work. My theory is that the first bind doesn't have much code to process. This is useful to look into further, if anyone's going to make any szzt games again.Image
clecky
Founder of Scientology

Post by clecky »

Could you post a new link, I'm working on a game that could use this solution very much, but i get a 404 error.
Dr. Dos

Post by Dr. Dos »

Awesome Clecky is alive

http://zzt.org/dr_dos/BindersK.zzt .
Visit the Museum of ZZT

Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

delete the period
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
clecky
Founder of Scientology

Post by clecky »

Nice solution, I'm not sure if I can use it in the game I'm working on as of yet, but good to know.

edit:
Found a good way to use it actually, thanks a lot!